5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rambox opened while driving

Matthbert5150

Reaction score
Any of ya'll had a rambox open up while driving?

I was driving home from work tonight and the passenger side rambox apparently opened while driving. Luckily no damage, but this leaves me a little concerned.

And before any of you ask, I hadn't opened that rambox for a few days and I know it was closed completely.

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Rambox, 5.7l 4x4 3.92, Pano Sunroof, level 2 w/ 12", black appearance package, adv. Safety group, Power running boards, full ceramic tint
6" ProComp Stage 1 lift kit with 35x12.50r20 Nitto Ridge Grappler tires
20x10 - 24 fuel hostage wheels
Tazer DT, Lomax cover, Bed Rug.

*Future Mods"
Borla s-type exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Can

pitboss000

Reaction score
Happened to me a few months ago at work. I don't usually lock my truck (I'm around it all day). Noticed some kids walking by after school. I think one of them pushed the button without opening it. Learned my lesson about locking it and it hasn't happened since.

MKEAT

Reaction score
Mine has been opening on its own several times per day this week. On the way to work, on the way home from work, on the way to the grocery store. Always the same side and without anything in the box.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Mine has been opening on its own several times per day this week. On the way to work, on the way home from work, on the way to the grocery store. Always the same side and without anything in the box.
Sounds like the latch mechanism (at a minimum) is out of adjustment.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Going back to the dealer first thing tomorrow morning to have a look.

Here's another very wild idea. Back when I was inspecting my ground nut (one near the battery that was recalled), it moved just enough while I had it loose to briefly disconnect ground and I heard a pop. That pop was one of my RamBox doors opening. I'm still scratching my head over that one since they do not have remote open, only unlock. Since that happened, maybe one of your RamBox latch mechanism's has a loose ground and vibration is causing it to open the mechanism?

MKEAT

Reaction score
Dealer took about an hour and said they adjusted the latch and strikers. Rambox doors stayed closed on the drive home. Hoping that’s all it took to get them working properly.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Dealer took about an hour and said they adjusted the latch and strikers. Rambox doors stayed closed on the drive home. Hoping that’s all it took to get them working properly.

Glad to hear your dealer was able to help with this, MKEAT! If the concern comes back and you need to address this with your dealer again, please let us know via private message. We'd be happy to help.

Mark
RamCares

MKEAT

Reaction score
Glad to hear your dealer was able to help with this, MKEAT! If the concern comes back and you need to address this with your dealer again, please let us know via private message. We'd be happy to help.

Mark
RamCares
So far the Rambox door has been working properly. Not sure what is adjustable in the mechanism but whatever they did, even if it was just a cleaning and lube seems to have worked.

MKEAT

Reaction score

Mark
RamCares
Update, the passenger side Rambox has opened on its own 3 times again while going down the road.

Any thoughts on how to resolve this problem?

Burg54

Reaction score
Update, the passenger side Rambox has opened on its own 3 times again while going down the road.

Wow this seems like a major safety (and security) issue. Sounds like you are not alone. FCA should be all over this. I hope this gets sorted out ASAP.

RamCares

Reaction score

I'm so sorry to hear this, MKEAT. Mind following up with me via private message to provide your VIN? I would like to look into your situation further on my end to determine how to best assist you at this point.

Mark
RamCares

Mikeskad1

Reaction score

My 2020 is doing the same thing. Havent been to dealer yet.

IanPV

Reaction score

Have you gotten any answers ? I have a 2021 that just started opening on its own as well....

scottdeesmith

Reaction score
This started happening on my 2020 Ram 1500 this week as well. It is very annoying to come out of a store and see my Rambox wide open with all my gear in there. I'll be calling the dealership tomorrow.

RamCares

Reaction score
This started happening on my 2020 Ram 1500 this week as well. It is very annoying to come out of a store and see my Rambox wide open with all my gear in there. I'll be calling the dealership tomorrow.
We certainly understand how this is concerning, @scottdeesmith. Please send our team a private message with your VIN so that we may offer our additional support during your dealer visit.

Kathryn
RamCares

Hemi65

Reaction score
It is happening on my 2021 also. Several times per day. I have power running boards and I noticed that when I get out, just before the running boards retract, I hear a pop and the driver side ram box opens. Super annoying on a brand new truck!

Users who are viewing this thread