5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rambox opened while driving

Rogers

Reaction score
Mine started happening back in early February, about 5 weeks after purchase. (2021 RAM 1500 Limited) After convincing myself that I didn't forget to close it 10 times, I took it into the dealer, and provided my VIN to @RamCares, who have been in contact with both me, and the dealer, throughout.

Summary: The drivers side Rambox was opening anytime the truck was unlocked (fully), and it was wet out. I was able to mitigate the issue by turning off all of the auto-unlock features via the control panel, so only the drivers door unlocked when using the keyfob, or keyless entry. Unlike many others here, the passenger side Rambox also occasionally opened as well.

First visit to the dealer: Handed them the service bulletin printed out from here (Thanks!), and provided them the case# from RamCares. They did a quick check on the drivers side (only), and confirmed it was the wiring harness. They disconnected it, and placed order for drivers side harness, and took the truck home. Before I travelled 2 miles, the passenger side Rambox opened. I stopped, noticed it was 'clicking' trying to lock, both at the Rambox, and from behind the dash. The clicking stopped when the truck was locked. I took a quick video, sent it to the dealer asking them to order the parts for the passenger side as well. No response.

Second visit: Dropped the truck off, reminded them that the passenger side was having issues as well. They put the new wiring harness in the drivers side, and 'fixed the latch mechanism on the passenger side' so it would close properly. They drove the truck out to me to take home, and the passenger side was wide open. Called the technician, service manager, and shop foreman over to discuss. Took it back for a quick check, decided it was the same issue, and placed an order for the passenger side harness. Disconnected it in the interim. Noted that the 'clicking' was still occurring inside when the truck was unlocked, but assumed it was due to the disconnected wiring harness.

Third visit: Dropped the truck off. Dealer replaced the harness, but the passenger side Rambox continued to unlock repeatedly. It's been very very dry here in VA the past couple weeks, so moisture is not an issue. New huddle by the tech, service manager and additional folks. Took the truck in, and started testing control modules -- found one that was 'bad', and ordered replacement.

Still waiting on the replacement for the control module, but the way this problem started occasionally with the drivers Rambox only when wet, and even more occasionally the passenger Rambox,, and then became a continuous issue whenever the truck was unlocked, I suspect that the original wiring harness issue may have caused the control module to fail, which presented itself as the second issue. Or the dealer messed something up replacing the harness. :)
Finally resolved. Service manager had one of the techs dig into the voltage levels across the system, and they were seeing intermittent fluctuations across the bus. They traced it down to a circuit, with bad pins in the connector. Here is the description in case it helps anyone else: (remember, they already replaced the wiring harness on both sides, but it only fixed the driver side Rambox).

PASSENGER SIDE RAM BOX OPENING ON ITS OWN
CAUSE: Poor pin tension on circuit Q178 in connector XY400A

2723 Poor pin tension on circuit Q178 in connector XY400A. Verify concern, find that right ram box is self actuating. Unplug inline connector one at a time, and find that condition went away when uplugging/plugging in XY400A. Check pin tension on circuit Q178 to find pin tension is not as tight as it should be. Removed pin from connector and found excessive heating of pin. Replaced pin 18, connector XY400A. Plug in connector, let sit overnight to verify condition is corrected.

3 days now, no issue, so I'm very hopeful this is permanently resolved.

Kmcllwain

Reaction score
I bought my ram eco diesel limited in November 2020. Thought my kids were leaving it open until I just watched it fly open on the highway. Both sides have done this at random times only have 4000kms on it. Then at 5:15 my 12” screen stopped working not impressed with Ram

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Add me to the list too. I bought a brand new 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie yesterday and today the driver’s side Rambox started popping open on it’s own. Has opened on it’s own numerous times while parked and three times while driving down the road today. Not a good start for a one day old truck. On the bright side it brought me to this forum. Thanks for all the good information.

Add me to the list... with only 1,200 miles on my Longhorn Limited, the ramboxes have popped open several times
Greetings JLawson and Ezsailor,
Sorry to hear you are experiencing this concern. If you end up addressing this with your local Ram dealer, please let us know via PM. We'd be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of assistance for that process.
Rob
Ram Cares

Benjam13

Reaction score
I’m having similar issues with my 2020 Ram Rebel driver side Rambox opening on its own. It’s to
the point they just called to tell me they gave no clue what’s going on and sense they started working on it they have started smelling burning electrical wires in it and more modules stopped working. Only 1800 miles on the truck. I tried to upload the video of it continuously trying to open when it was in my garage before we brought it to the dealership a week and a half ago.

MadMadHoosier

Reaction score
Well, the day before yesterday I noticed my driver side ram box open a few random times. Initially assumed I had something stored that was interfering with the mechanisms. Rearranged everything and made sure the door was closed and secure. Then as I pulled up to a drive through, the vendor pointed out my rambox lid was standing open. Not sure what all blew out while driving around before that :-( And it continued to pop open at random times after that. Late yesterday I searched the web for "rambox popping open" and found this thread. Great work documenting things guys! While an inconvenience, I'll call the dealership to get it resolved. Does anyone know which specific # post has the service notice? I'll look back for it in the meantime.

MadMadHoosier

Reaction score
Wow. Now I'm aggravated with my dealer!!!! I found the part number posted earlier and wanted to make sure my dealer had it in stock before scheduling the hour+ drive to the dealership. The service department said they have to diagnose the problem before they can order any parts. The parts department does not have it in stock, but can get it overnighted once service makes the request. That will force me into at least two, half-day, round trips. Not what I wanted to hear.
Ram stole me from Ford in 2015, and again with this 2021 truck. But the Ford dealership is about 2-miles from my house. Something that will make me look harder next time if service cannot be reasonably accommodating.

Edited to add: After talking to the service manager at a 2nd dealership, he understands the issue and confirmed my VIN number is involved, and will order the part before scheduling me in for service. Exactly what I would hope and expect and am now a happy customer with a new RAM dealership to give my business.

Last edited:

Robert9478

Reaction score
There's a TSB on this. It's a wiring harness problem when it gets wet/damp. Mine has been perfect ever since the dealer replaced that.

Took mine to the dealer to get harness replaced. The two weeks prior to the appointment, the box didn’t pop open. But figured it was only a matter of time so I let them fix it anyways. Within 10 hours of them replacing the harness, 5 times it popped open. No water involved. No moisture. Dry weather. Just unplugged the harness on my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BransRam1

Reaction score
After second harness replacement on Thursday 4/22, as with everyone else, my driver's side Rambox opened FOUR TIMES on the same afternoon it was replaced before I could even get home to take the casing off the mechanism to unplug it. It is now worse than before. So I have unplugged the harness. So let's see this is attempt number two of same problem... one more time RAM and I'm going to look into Lemon Law(but I'm sure there will be some sort of loophole to hide behind). I don't care personally to use the manual open approach but more importantly I worry what this will do to trade in or resale value.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am happy to inform that there has been a TSB released which appears to address the symptoms you've described here. We recommend visiting your dealer to go over the specifics of the bulletin and how it may correspond to your vehicle. See attached:
1619808076352.png

As always, please send our team a PM should you have any questions.

Kathryn
Ram Cares

1awesomelaw

Reaction score
Here's another very wild idea. Back when I was inspecting my ground nut (one near the battery that was recalled), it moved just enough while I had it loose to briefly disconnect ground and I heard a pop. That pop was one of my RamBox doors opening. I'm still scratching my head over that one since they do not have remote open, only unlock. Since that happened, maybe one of your RamBox latch mechanism's has a loose ground and vibration is causing it to open the mechanism?

How or where do you check to make sure the grounds are tight?

brakervan

Reaction score
On or about 12/23/20, Ram issued an alert to its dealerships regarding this issue. On certain trucks the wiring harness on the drivers side dips low inside the bay that holds the Rambox. When water gets in there and into the harness it releases the latch as though you pushed the button. There is a now a fix for this specific issue

Kodi nox

Last edited:

Grouper

Reaction score
So I just got back from the dealer and In fact there is a service Bulletin on this issue. Apparently Ram used a connector that has no seals to protect from water intrusion which causes corrosion on the wiring. This causes the driver side ram box to open. I attached the service bulletin which has the part number for new harness. The other picture showed which connector needs to be replaced. It is marked as number 5. New part will be here tomorrow which should take care of the issue.

I brought my truck in for warranty repairs unrelated to the RamBox opening issue. They replaced the harness regardless:

RamBox Harness.jpg

DocDiRyder

Reaction score
I too have been having this problem. It even happen with the truck standing still, engine off. Seems to be maybe associated with the electrical door locking / unlocking or associated systems. Verified the Rambox doors were properly secured prior to all occurrences. (I make a habit of checking thee doors are latched after each use) It's happened with both sides though not at the same time.
2020 1500 Limited model. I'll be making an appointment with the dealer very soon and would appreciate whatever info that can be gathered from the group.

Mayday1019

Reaction score
Have you gotten any answers ? I have a 2021 that just started opening on its own as well....
Same here. This is so frustrating. I want to love this truck but so many minor issues continue to come up. My truck is a '21 Ram Limited with all the bells and whistles and has 20,000 miles on it. So far I've brought it to the dealer because the entire gauge cluster died, which they had to replace. I recently brought it back to the dealer because the internet connection blanked out for two weeks after sporadically working for a couple months prior to that. Now it's working again and of course the dealer couldn't find any issues with it. The phone charging pad doesn't work and one of the controls on the steering wheel sticks and jumps stations when I'm changing radio stations. Now the RAM box is flying open, even after I stop, shut it and confirm it's latched.

All of these issues sound petty and I know there are bigger problems in the world but I didn't pay $70K for these issues to keep coming up. So frustrating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/