5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rambox opened while driving

RAMguy1981

Reaction score
@redbranch @RAMguy1981 Sorry it took me until tonight to get to this.

Here’s a picture of the wire to pull out of the harness. It’s the lighter green wire. No stripe. I put a piece of heat shrink over it just to guarantee that it wouldn’t touch anything and do anything weird.

The other two are for the lights, which I wanted to still function normally. Pulling the wire pictured just disables the electronic portion of the lock. You’ll need to use the key to open it. Which I actually don’t mind.
Perfect thanks.

RAMguy1981

Reaction score
So I just got back from the dealer and In fact there is a service Bulletin on this issue. Apparently Ram used a connector that has no seals to protect from water intrusion which causes corrosion on the wiring. This causes the driver side ram box to open. I attached the service bulletin which has the part number for new harness. The other picture showed which connector needs to be replaced. It is marked as number 5. New part will be here tomorrow which should take care of the issue.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 169
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 151

toyboy1980

Reaction score
So I just got back from the dealer and In fact there is a service Bulletin on this issue. Apparently Ram used a connector that has no seals to protect from water intrusion which causes corrosion on the wiring. This causes the driver side ram box to open. I attached the service bulletin which has the part number for new harness. The other picture showed which connector needs to be replaced. It is marked as number 5. New part will be here tomorrow which should take care of the issue.
That’s definitely interesting. Corrosion on the wiring doesn’t seem like it would do what we’re experiencing, where the locking mechanism is getting sent an “unlock” signal, but hey, what do I know.

RAMguy1981

Reaction score
That’s definitely interesting. Corrosion on the wiring doesn’t seem like it would do what we’re experiencing, where the locking mechanism is getting sent an “unlock” signal, but hey, what do I know.
Ya I dunno. Might as well get it replaced and see if it happens again. Good thing about warranty no money out of pocket. Only inconvenience is going to dealer

Duckin1975

Reaction score
Mine started yesterday(2021 Limited Longhorn) had the weird clicking noise in the cab first thing in the morning coming from the light on/off area?(Bottom left of dash by the drivers window vent). The drivers ram box was opening on its own after this happened, numerous times. Learned that pressing the lock button to lock the doors/boxes/tailgate right after getting in kept it closed while driving. But will be taking it to the dealer and also possibly pulling the connector for the lock as well. Would much rather have to use the key to unlock these than have them open randomly.

Last edited:

Jasons112

Reaction score
Mine started yesterday(2021 Limited Longhorn) had the weird clicking noise in the cab first thing in the morning coming from the light on/off area?(Bottom left of dash by the drivers window vent). The drivers ram box was opening on its own after this happened, numerous times. Learned that pressing the lock button to lock the doors/boxes/tailgate right after getting in kept it closed while driving. But will be taking it to the dealer and also possibly pulling the connector for the lock as well. Would much rather have to use the key to unlock these than have them open randomly.
Had this same issue 3 days after picking up the truck didn’t think much of it until it started happening 2-3 times daily. 3 weeks goes buy noticed driver tail light not turning off took it to the dealer they think the body control module is bad anyways long story short trucks been in service for 5 weeks now back ordered BCM

Duckin1975

Reaction score
Had this same issue 3 days after picking up the truck didn’t think much of it until it started happening 2-3 times daily. 3 weeks goes buy noticed driver tail light not turning off took it to the dealer they think the body control module is bad anyways long story short trucks been in service for 5 weeks now back ordered BCM
So, only three things I’ve done so far for the truck, 1. Tonneau cover, 2. Bolts for bed extender to actually work, 3. Added a curt trailer 7pin/4pin wiring harness for a tailgate brake light(light not yet installed). This all started a day or two after 2&3 happened. So may try disconnecting the wiring harness and see if that fixes it. No real explanation of why the tailgate/trailer 7pin would cause the ram box to randomly open, but.... 🤷🏼‍♂️

dfwkev

Reaction score
This has been happening to me on my passenger side rambox. I've only owned for 2 weeks now. Haven't noticed issue on driver's side yet. 2021 Ram 1500 4x4 Laramie

toyboy1980

Reaction score
So, only three things I’ve done so far for the truck, 1. Tonneau cover, 2. Bolts for bed extender to actually work, 3. Added a curt trailer 7pin/4pin wiring harness for a tailgate brake light(light not yet installed). This all started a day or two after 2&3 happened. So may try disconnecting the wiring harness and see if that fixes it. No real explanation of why the tailgate/trailer 7pin would cause the ram box to randomly open, but.... 🤷🏼‍♂️
I think there are plenty of people who have the problem without having anything connected at the trailer harness. I DO have a connection there, but mine was doing it before that was added.

toyboy1980

Reaction score
This has been happening to me on my passenger side rambox. I've only owned for 2 weeks now. Haven't noticed issue on driver's side yet. 2021 Ram 1500 4x4 Laramie
You might be the first person I’ve seen with it happening on the passenger side.

Atlantahank

Reaction score
This just started happening on my 2020, Driver's side only. Removing the Ram Box to get to the harness seems like a PIA solution but I guess it is what it is.

redbranch

Reaction score
Mine was in for that issue today, and they do have a TSB on the problem. They also told me the part wouldn't be in until February, so until then I'll have to keep popping it closed.

toyboy1980

Reaction score
Mine was in for that issue today, and they do have a TSB on the problem. They also told me the part wouldn't be in until February, so until then I'll have to keep popping it closed.
You could pull the harness until your part comes in. Literally a 5 minute process.

olepilot03

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue on a 3 week old 21 limited. Glad to hear there is a TSB on it. Does anyone know if you call the dealership ahead of time with the TSB# if they'll order the part to shorten the process?

jlz1

Reaction score
@redbranch @RAMguy1981 Sorry it took me until tonight to get to this.

Here’s a picture of the wire to pull out of the harness. It’s the lighter green wire. No stripe. I put a piece of heat shrink over it just to guarantee that it wouldn’t touch anything and do anything weird.

The other two are for the lights, which I wanted to still function normally. Pulling the wire pictured just disables the electronic portion of the lock. You’ll need to use the key to open it. Which I actually don’t mind.
What the easiest way to remove the wire from the harness? I guess the it's smarter than me. I just unplugged the entire harness. Thanks!

abaddon48

Reaction score
2021 Ram Bighorn night edition is doing the ram box magic open while driving. However I get rapid clicking under the drive side dash and the actuator for the driver side ram box is clicking as well. Usually start when I remote start the truck and unlock to get in. I have video of this happening.
I’m having the exact same issue on my 2021 Big Horn. It’s in for service as I type this. The rapid clicking happened for me one day after I took it through a laser wash. The rapid clicking has stopped, but now I get the random opening of the driver side ram box. When I spoke to the service tech he said there is a bulletin out for it. I will hopefully be able to update tomorrow on their findings.

Last edited:

toyboy1980

Reaction score
What the easiest way to remove the wire from the harness? I guess the it's smarter than me. I just unplugged the entire harness. Thanks!
It takes some delicate tinkering. You can release the pin out of the harness if you have a small enough tool to get in there with. Unless you need the lights though, you can just unplug the harness.

A look around YouTube could probably find a video showing how to get into those harnesses to release a pin.

coach

Reaction score
i have a 2020 sport. love the ram box. bought in September. first time it opened i thought it was me. now it opens almost daily. driver side only. im calling dealer

Users who are viewing this thread