5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RamBox (only) Tonneau

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We will live vicariously through you, at least for the month it sounds like until I see my mx4

Cannonball

Reaction score
I put on a 2018 tonneau cover an it doesn't work well. It leaks water from the side and makes the rear tailgate hard to open and close. Thought I might get it to work but no dice. What brand tonneau covers for the 2019 RamBox are actually in stock somewhere already?
Going back in time here but what 4th gen cover did you try that didn't fit well? I have a bak f1 for for 4th gen my wallet was hoping would fit enough for government work.

cjmst23

Reaction score
Giddieup!
OK, good news bad news.

Good: the cover arrived on time and is absolutely great looking (I don't use the word gorgeous). The matte finish is great and it is definitely well built. Seems very sturdy, although I didn't get a chance to use it.

The guy who I worked with today was super cool and appreciative that I was taking the time to work with them.

Bad: and remember, I was the guinea pig so some fit and install issues were expected.....the rails are slightly too perfect. I'll explain. The install with RamBox requires the extruded rails to be slid into the RamBox utility rails. This requires precise tolerances to ensure a tight fit without any slop.... But also needs to be easy to install. The rails I received were slightly too large (which means too tight to slide along the 5 foot utility rails without binding). We're talking 0.001 of an inch tolerances. BAK is reworking another set and shipping them out. Probably after thxgvg.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
OK, good news bad news.

Good: the cover arrived on time and is absolutely great looking (I don't use the word gorgeous). The matte finish is great and it is definitely well built. Seems very sturdy, although I didn't get a chance to use it.

The guy who I worked with today was super cool and appreciative that I was taking the time to work with them.

Bad: and remember, I was the guinea pig so some fit and install issues were expected.....the rails are slightly too perfect. I'll explain. The install with RamBox requires the extruded rails to be slid into the RamBox utility rails. This requires precise tolerances to ensure a tight fit without any slop.... But also needs to be easy to install. The rails I received were slightly too large (which means too tight to slide along the 5 foot utility rails without binding). We're talking 0.001 of an inch tolerances. BAK is reworking another set and shipping them out. Probably after thxgvg.

Thanks. Do they slide into top or side of the RamBox rails?

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They slide into the top slot on the factory utility rails..... So the side slots are still usable.

Thanks. I've only seen the older model online install video and it used L brackets bolted into the side of the RamBox rails. This sounds much more refined.

cjmst23

Reaction score
Thanks. I've only seen the older model online install video and it used L brackets bolted into the side of the RamBox rails. This sounds much more refined.
Yep, it's definitely a great design... Will be super sturdy and they want it to be tight, so it will need a few iterations on tolerances to get it perfect.

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Site Supporter
Reaction score
OK, good news bad news.

Pictures please

stevetom84

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting the Bak Revolver X4 when my truck gets delivered. From what I can find, the revolver series installs in a similar way with the cover rails sliding into the top portion of the factory rails. Any positive or negative experience with the revolver series?

cjmst23

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting the Bak Revolver X4 when my truck gets delivered. From what I can find, the revolver series installs in a similar way with the cover rails sliding into the top portion of the factory rails. Any positive or negative experience with the revolver series?
You're spot on, same rail installation but the rail itself is different to accommodate the locking mechanism for holding the slats down. That is also set to ship in January.

cjmst23

Reaction score
Om, some pics of the rail cross section (notice the tabs underneath to engaged the utility rail) IMG_20181120_141209532.jpg IMG_20181120_141239101.jpg IMG_20181120_141303283.jpg and the RamBox specific installation addendum steps.

cjmst23

Reaction score
Awesome - thanks! I assume you tried the soapy water as recommended? ;)
Ha ha... Yep. Soap, wd40, lithium grease. I spoke with BAK today and they confirmed that FCA actually thickened the RamBox utility rail by 15% after early production.... So that confirms that I'm not losing my mind. They are getting updated rails extruded and sent to me (hopefully the week after thxgvg).

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ha ha... Yep. Soap, wd40, lithium grease. I spoke with BAK today and they confirmed that FCA actually thickened the RamBox utility rail by 15% after early production.... So that confirms that I'm not losing my mind. They are getting updated rails extruded and sent to me (hopefully the week after thxgvg).

Ha! Sounds like you really tried.

Also, I'm assuming that in the top picture the rail section over your thumb is what would protrude into the bed? Looks like it would be less protrusion than the cleats? Reason I ask is that I will need a lot of mulch loads dumped in and I'm getting careful with making the bed (from above) any smaller.
Looked at the Retrax and their system basically puts a frame on the side rails that sticks in almost 3".

cjmst23

Reaction score
Ha! Sounds like you really tried.

Also, I'm assuming that in the top picture the rail section over your thumb is what would protrude into the bed? Looks like it would be less protrusion than the cleats? Reason I ask is that I will need a lot of mulch loads dumped in and I'm getting careful with making the bed (from above) any smaller.
Looked at the Retrax and their system basically puts a frame on the side rails that sticks in almost 3".
You got it.... The section above my thumb and everything to the right would be protruding into the bed. I'll measure later, but I'd guess... 1.75 inches per side.

thcmas35

Tracking order
Tracking order
Reaction score
Correction.... 1.375" per side
Good info. I need to somehow have the ability to load a 48" wide ATV into the bed when I go on solo trips. I'm cutting it close, might not even work.
So if someone does not order the BUG, can they not have a BakFlip installed?

Users who are viewing this thread