5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RamBox (only) Tonneau

cjmst23

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm new to the group and have read through LOTS and LOTS of threads about Tonneau covers... But wanted to start one SPECIFICALLY geared towards Hard Covers for RamBox without a separate lock. I wanna use the tailgate lock to access whatever lever opens the cover....no separate key (like truxedo).

As we know, there are many options, but not all of the great ones have a RamBox option (like ultra).

Btw, I have a Bakflip on my 2013 ram and have a 2019 Limited + RamBox on order.

What's a better option for RamBox vs MX4 vs Rollbak?

TimG

Reaction score
Don't discount the G2 from Bak. I had it on my 17 with Ramboxes and it was a great cover. No hassle, no extra keys, and never interfered with using the Ramboxes. I have one on order right now for my 19.

cjmst23

Reaction score
Great input.

Also, the Revolver is interesting since it doesn't block back window like folding ones do.

But, the race is BakFlip's to lose unless a viable competitor steps up.

Slim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I put on a 2018 tonneau cover an it doesn't work well. It leaks water from the side and makes the rear tailgate hard to open and close. Thought I might get it to work but no dice. What brand tonneau covers for the 2019 RamBox are actually in stock somewhere already?

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
I just ordered the Truxedo Sentry. It is a hard rollback cover. I was looking at this one along with Bak Revolver X4. Ultimately I chose the Truxedo Sentry because it is predicted to work better in the harsh winters of the northeast, also you can easily take out the entire cover without tools unlike the Revolver.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Obviously RamBox limits us somewhat. I started out wanting a rolling cover but decided I didn't want to give up the bed space for the canister. I'm now 99% leaning toward an MX4 BUT I took a hard look at the Undercover UltraFlex. They don't make one for the RamBox but it's almost identical to the MX4 except that their upright lock system looks better. My plan is to go MX4 and upgrade it to the UltraFlex upright locking.
They use a strut with ball mounts on both ends and sell them separately. I still need to find a ball mount with a plate to attach to the inside of the MX4 panel. Then you just raise it up against the rear window and click on the strut. No sliding mechanism and knob to tighten!

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm getting the Mx4 that is branded for LineX (Stealth). Supposed to be here in the next week or two.

cjmst23

Reaction score
For the Linex....better price than mx4?

Link?

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A bit more expensive, but it has a lifetime warranty, including on labor. I'm planning on keeping it for a long time, so that was my thinking. Go to LineX website, it is the one called Stealth.

Douglas31

Reaction score
I called for a quote on the Linex about a month ago and it was at least 200 more for what I could find the MX4 for. It does have a longer warranty though. If anyone finds a good price on it or has pics of either installed please post.

cjmst23

Reaction score
Lifetime warranty would be nice.
please share buying options as we all find them.

Does it have a matte finish?

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes. It is identical to the mx4. It is made by bak and is the same. They just put a different badge on it for LineX. The place I went has them both, and she told me all about it.

Slim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Obviously RamBox limits us somewhat. I started out wanting a rolling cover but decided I didn't want to give up the bed space for the canister. I'm now 99% leaning toward an MX4 BUT I took a hard look at the Undercover UltraFlex. They don't make one for the RamBox but it's almost identical to the MX4 except that their upright lock system looks better. My plan is to go MX4 and upgrade it to the UltraFlex upright locking.
They use a strut with ball mounts on both ends and sell them separately. I still need to find a ball mount with a plate to attach to the inside of the MX4 panel. Then you just raise it up against the rear window and click on the strut. No sliding mechanism and knob to tighten!
When will the MX4 be available? My local distributor/installer doesn't have a date yet

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have had a mx4 on order since June. Called in July and was given a September 14 initial ship date. Called last Friday and they told me that ram had changed something with the rambox and that Bak industry were still working on it, with no ship date available yet.

cjmst23

Reaction score
This is the reality of the 2019 Ram.... All of this will be established for the 2020. But I ain't waiting!

Clipsmeyer

Reaction score
I’m thinking about getting the x4 rolling for mine with the ram boxes. Has anyone else tried this cover?

cjmst23

Reaction score
One limitation of the Rx4 revolver is that it cannot be half-open. It only secures fully rolled up. Not a huge deal, but I like being able to lock the mx4 down at the intermediate point.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have had a mx4 on order since June. Called in July and was given a September 14 initial ship date. Called last Friday and they told me that ram had changed something with the rambox and that Bak industry were still working on it, with no ship date available yet.

I was told this by email today: " I just got word that there is some kind of production issue, so they are not going to be shipping this cover until the end of December, they think."

TimG

Reaction score
I literally just got of the phone with Morrie (man, that dude can talk!). He said that the major manufacturers are all finalizing test-fits on an actual 19 Rambox truck this week. So, hopefully things start becoming available soon.

Users who are viewing this thread