5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RamBox (only) Tonneau

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I think I like their previous design attempt better than these blocks. Am I correct that in the photo with your hand that the circle under the weatherstripping to the right is for tightening down the block? Doesn't look as seamless as their extruded rail you showed previously.

Also, in that same photo, that doesn't look anywhere near watertight around the tailgate. The rear gasket doesn't seem to even touch the tailgate and it looks like water would easily get between the tailgate and the bed on the sides, right?

cjmst23

Reaction score
Perfect thanks. I saw their demo video as well. Seemed pretty straightforward. Would you consider it to make the bed water resistant? It will be exposed to either the high wind and downpours of Florida and the wet snow of the midwest. What would you guess?
I think it should be a water resistant as any flip cover out there. I'm sure some moisture will seep in and trickle down the sides, but not really hit the bed. I had a Bakflip f1 for 7 years on my 2013 rambox and it never let in any more than a little moisture on the walls of the bed.

cjmst23

Reaction score
I think I like their previous design attempt better than these blocks. Am I correct that in the photo with your hand that the circle under the weatherstripping to the right is for tightening down the block? Doesn't look as seamless as their extruded rail you showed previously.

Also, in that same photo, that doesn't look anywhere near watertight around the tailgate. The rear gasket doesn't seem to even touch the tailgate and it looks like water would easily get between the tailgate and the bed on the sides, right?
it's still a one piece extruded rail...just with holes drilled to allow for the allen wrench to tighten the set screws. The plastic caps plug into the holes, but do interfere a little with the rubber seal.

at the tailgate, the cover can definitely be adjusted forward/backward to allow more interface with the tailgate.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
it's still a one piece extruded rail...just with holes drilled to allow for the allen wrench to tighten the set screws. The plastic caps plug into the holes, but do interfere a little with the rubber seal.

at the tailgate, the cover can definitely be adjusted forward/backward to allow more interface with the tailgate.

Wonder what it would look like without the plastic covers over the set screws? That would at least allow the rubber seal to lay flat.

I get that you can adjust the cover fwd/back for more/less seal but in the last photo it just looks like the whole cover it maybe mounted too high above the bed due to the rails? More that it should be lower to allow the rear seal to sit more on the top of the tailgate. Your pics looks like it's got more than enough rearward "lip" to make tailgate contact.

Thanks for photos and info BTW - greatly appreciated!

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think it should be a water resistant as any flip cover out there. I'm sure some moisture will seep in and trickle down the sides, but not really hit the bed. I had a Bakflip f1 for 7 years on my 2013 rambox and it never let in any more than a little moisture on the walls of the bed.

Photo 3 seems to show a rubber gasket on the outside of the rail? Is there one on the bottom to seal against the factory rail?

Photo 4 looks like it shows a drain. Assume there are drains on both ends like previous models?

cjmst23

Reaction score
Wonder what it would look like without the plastic covers over the set screws? That would at least allow the rubber seal to lay flat.

I get that you can adjust the cover fwd/back for more/less seal but in the last photo it just looks like the whole cover it maybe mounted too high above the bed due to the rails? More that it should be lower to allow the rear seal to sit more on the top of the tailgate. Your pics looks like it's got more than enough rearward "lip" to make tailgate contact.

Thanks for photos and info BTW - greatly appreciated!
I kinda felt like the entire contraption (old guy word) might be better if it sat down another 1/8" (especially at the tailgate). But, the top of the rails is flush with the top of the rambox....maybe the top of the rails should be lower so the top of the cover sits flush instead.

cjmst23

Reaction score
Photo 3 seems to show a rubber gasket on the outside of the rail? Is there one on the bottom to seal against the factory rail?

Photo 4 looks like it shows a drain. Assume there are drains on both ends like previous models?
yes to the drains on both sides. No rubber between the bak rail and the aluminum factory rail, but it squeezes tight. There is an intentional gap between the bak rail and the rambox lid. they do not interface at all...even when rambox is open.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hmm, now I'm back to debating this versus the revolver X4. Or I guess any other brand like flex as well. This is about the only ones for Ramboxes we've seen on the 19, correct? As far as actually being available soon?

cjmst23

Reaction score
Hmm, now I'm back to debating this versus the revolver X4. Or I guess any other brand like flex as well. This is about the only ones for Ramboxes we've seen on the 19, correct? As far as actually being available soon?
I specifically asked about the rail design on revolver rx4 and it will be similar based on the mx4 fitment. The Rx4 rail will differ since it has to operate to engage the slats on the cover, but similar engagement with the bed utility rails and gap from the RamBox.

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Now the big question, when will they start shipping.

And no, I don’t expect an answer from @cjmst23 :)

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
yes to the drains on both sides. No rubber between the bak rail and the aluminum factory rail, but it squeezes tight. There is an intentional gap between the bak rail and the rambox lid. they do not interface at all...even when rambox is open.

Thanks. Have you measured between the mx4 rails? Assume there is at least 48"?

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
In Pic 1 and 2 does the side seal not go over the Rambox. I know on my 2014 it does and I have never had any water in the bed from the side even from the car wash.

PICT0014.JPG

You can see how mine touches and overlaps the rambox a bit.

cjmst23

Reaction score
In Pic 1 and 2 does the side seal not go over the Rambox. I know on my 2014 it does and I have never had any water in the bed from the side even from the car wash.

View attachment 9816

You can see how mine touches and overlaps the rambox a bit.
Nope.... Different than my 2013 version where the rubber rested in the RamBox. The cover ONLY engages the mx4 rail.

cjmst23

Reaction score
Are the rails easy to move out if you need the extra bed width every once in a while?
I'd say it can be done in less than 15 minutes... But gotta dismantle entire cover so not sure you'd want to.

Phiefer

Reaction score
Looks a lot like the Mopar I bought with my truck. Only issue I see is comparing the 2018 rambox with 2019 rambox, the 2019 has a gap that is twice as wide between tailgate top and rambox.

cjmst23

Reaction score
So are we assuming that water will come in the sides much easier?
There's a drain channel built into the new rail which leads to a drain tube. I think it will be more active on this model than it was on the gen4 model.

I plan on doing some water testing today to get a better idea

Users who are viewing this thread