5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram Introduces New Multi-function Tailgate In Chicago:

Ram92131

Reaction score
Right so if the current tailgate is 30 add 75 I just don't know the weight of the current.

I’m also wondering what it’s like to close this tailgate vs. a standard one if the weight is so much higher on the multifunction tailgate.

MLB12

Reaction score
To all who have been weighing in and providing information and thoughts, Thank You very much for this.

To those who made mention of a tailgate harness, I just went back into my parts quote and I have found a line item for a 'CABLE-TAIL', so this is most likely the one being referred to.

Tomorrow I'm going to go out and see where the body harness on my truck ends, and where the current(non-multifunction tailgate) tailgate harness plugs into it.

Knowing Mother MOPAR's penchant for flexibility, and keeping the individual part numbers down to an absolute minimum, I'm starting to bet that there may possibly be an easy solution to this.

I note jordan2929 is having difficulties getting the wiring diagram to post, but would it be permissible for it to be shared directly via regular email to the members? I'd like to be able to have a look at it, and do some circuit tracing.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I note jordan2929 is having difficulties getting the wiring diagram to post, but would it be permissible for it to be shared directly via regular email to the members? I'd like to be able to have a look at it, and do some circuit tracing.

I just increased the maximum attachment file size so it could be tried again. If it still doesn't work @Jordan2929 shoot me an email and I'll get it up here for everyone.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
The article answers a bunch of questions. Much appreciated.

My opinion - should have located the 60 swing handle under the taiilgate near the splice (similar to ridgeline). Reasoning:
  • Could have allowed for a mechanical latch instead of electrical - so retrofit and potential on non-rambox trucks would have been possible
  • You would then guide the bottom corner of the 60 out with your hand, saving it from hitting jack handles potentially
Sounds like they've been testing for a while, so it should perform well.

One question - I assume the bed extender side lugs cannot be used when tailgate is dropped standard?

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The article answers a bunch of questions. Much appreciated.

My opinion - should have located the 60 swing handle under the taiilgate near the splice (similar to ridgeline). Reasoning:
  • Could have allowed for a mechanical latch instead of electrical - so retrofit and potential on non-rambox trucks would have been possible
  • You would then guide the bottom corner of the 60 out with your hand, saving it from hitting jack handles potentially
Sounds like they've been testing for a while, so it should perform well.

One question - I assume the bed extender side lugs cannot be used when tailgate is dropped standard?

I think you still could use the bed extender lugs. What was missing from the new article was a picture of the tailgate lowered as a normal tailgate. I'm assuming the U-shaped frame for the barn doors would lower with the doors, holding everything solid and together. By the U-shaped frame lowering, it would get out of the way as it appears when barn doors are open for the bed extender to function.
That's how it looks to me.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
I keep hearing this is only available with the BUG, but do you have to get the ram box as well?

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I keep hearing this is only available with the BUG, but do you have to get the ram box as well?

@redriderbob posted the article a few posts up. It states the new tailgate is only available with RamBox due to the electrical wiring required.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This might answer another question. Looks pretty solid if it can hold Roman like that.

2019-02-08 19_41_37-Ram vs GMC vs Ford vs Honda_ What's the Best New & Fancy Tailgate_ No, You...png

REBEL 2.0

Reaction score
I think it would be handier than pockets in your underwear! Being able to reach most of what’s in the box from the ground without crawling or climbing in the back would be soo handy.

MLB12

Reaction score
Excellent info in the article.

Thank you for posting

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

And this new bit of information, about it only being available with the Ram Box finished it for me. I've got the conventional box-oh well, another great idea shot down in flames.

Thanks again everyone for their input.

Kramersp

Reaction score
Could I add this to my current ram box equipped truck?

Marusho

Reaction score
SUPER-SKEPTICAL. Ram doesn't have a track record of being able to pull off tailgate design. Remember the unequal length cable fiasco? Remember the bed extender fiasco? Remember the deployable bed step fiasco? These three issues are low-tech problems that an intern engineer could have corrected in an evening.

Users who are viewing this thread