5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram Introduces New Multi-function Tailgate In Chicago:

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, GM had a nice run with, what, 3-4 weeks of advertising a genuine differentiater?
I hope RAM marketing team send some twitter messages to GM marketing team showing the RAM's trailer attached with gate open with step being utilized as they were poking the RAM bear just days ago about their "dent maker" tailgate being so great. lol Film a GMC dropping its gate onto a trailer hitch ball. ouch! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: " GMC gets hit in the ball (s)" could be new marketing slogan for Ram's design!

Last edited:

Rustydodge

Reaction score
Funny comment from GM engineer, regarding GM considering use of a barn door tailgate from GMauthority article:

"When GM debuted the GMC MultiPro tailgate last year, the automaker indicated that it had considered a barn door opening tailgate like the Ram’s, but ultimately decided against it.

“We did look at a bunch of different options… we didn’t want to do a barn door because you can’t package it well with a step,” said GMC Sierra program engineer Roger Olle. “We wanted the step to be the first priority, and we wanted to ensure it would perform the same as a standard tailgate. We didn’t want to sacrifice anything in terms of functionality.”"

What? So let me get this straight...they didn't do it because they "can't package it well with a step".... yet GM's PRIMARY STEP SOLUTION IS THE SIDE BUMPER STEP, which is identical height to the center portion of the bumper (where the license plate is), which is able to be accessed with 60/40 barn door hinge...

So the GMC Sierra program engineer is on record saying he doesn't think using the bumper as a step works??? That's a really unfortunate quote from a GM engineer!

Not to mention the fact they couldn't figure out how to make it act as a standard tailgate...yet apparently Ram engineers could

SacRebel

Reaction score
I don't like it. I like being able to put the tailgate down to sit on or for longer items.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Funny comment from GM engineer, regarding GM considering use of a barn door tailgate from GMauthority article:

"When GM debuted the GMC MultiPro tailgate last year, the automaker indicated that it had considered a barn door opening tailgate like the Ram’s, but ultimately decided against it.

“We did look at a bunch of different options… we didn’t want to do a barn door because you can’t package it well with a step,” said GMC Sierra program engineer Roger Olle. “We wanted the step to be the first priority, and we wanted to ensure it would perform the same as a standard tailgate. We didn’t want to sacrifice anything in terms of functionality.”"

What? So let me get this straight...they didn't do it because they "can't package it well with a step".... yet GM's PRIMARY STEP SOLUTION IS THE SIDE BUMPER STEP, which is identical height to the center portion of the bumper (where the license plate is), which is able to be accessed with 60/40 barn door hinge...

So the GMC Sierra program engineer is on record saying he doesn't think using the bumper as a step works??? That's a really unfortunate quote from a GM engineer!

Not to mention the fact they couldn't figure out how to make it act as a standard tailgate...yet apparently Ram engineers could
Several station wagons built by many automakers of the 60's and 70's had tailgates that hinged both directions to let kiddos into the 9 passenger rear facing seats. The engineering can't be that tough with computer aids available today.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why would this weigh 75 pounds more than the regular tailgate? Surely a few more hinges and latches don't weigh that much. Given this, and Ram's comment that the box needs to be replaced for retrofitting, is most of this weight due to beefing up the box sides to handle a swing gate?

Chris

Reaction score
Why would this weigh 75 pounds more than the regular tailgate? Surely a few more hinges and latches don't weigh that much. Given this, and Ram's comment that the box needs to be replaced for retrofitting, is most of this weight due to beefing up the box sides to handle a swing gate?
I bet a large part of it is to make that center latching system able to handle the rated weight of 2000 lbs.

syddog 2000

Reaction score
I can remember last year prior to the 2019 Ram debut this design being tested on the new truck. I even caught a glimpse of it on a truck running around Naples, Fl. which was being tested out of the Rousch facility. Then there was no more talk of it. Now here it is. Better late than never. Although I would have very much liked to have it on my truck.:cry:

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sounds reasonable, Chris.

I need to see this in person before ordering. If it's as solid as I think it is... game on. I would be hesitant, though, if there was any vertical slop or sway in the swing gates. It would bother me to no end if these things were weak and led to vertical misalignment of the two halves.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I can remember last year prior to the 2019 Ram debut this design being tested on the new truck. I even caught a glimpse of it on a truck running around Naples, Fl. which was being tested out of the Rousch facility. Then there was no more talk of it. Now here it is. Better late than never. Although I would have very much liked to have it on my truck.:cry:

I am going to have to dispute that there was no talk of it. https://5thgenrams.com/?s=Tailgate ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Good things come to those who wait...and the best is on it's way...just when I think I have made my decision, the competition gives RAM a reason to up their game.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You, Sir, have the patience of Job :geek:
I am driving my absolute favorite truck, if Pennsylvania winters hadn't been so hard on it...I may not even be looking.

But my son wants it made like new for Him. I know RAM is going to make another dominating Big Gas Engine again...if I could just get a confirmation, I would wait longer.

But, I just gotta have one of these new Rams...the best they have ever made.

I think I may just wait to see if we get the other tailgate and the stowable ramps...if they weren't so expensive and depricitive...I would buy and not care, but I want to get what I need while getting what I want,and there is more to come

Good times to be a pick up fan.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am driving my absolute favorite truck, if Pennsylvania winters hadn't been so hard on it...I may not even be looking.

But my son wants it made like new for Him. I know RAM is going to make another dominating Big Gas Engine again...if I could just get a confirmation, I would wait longer.

But, I just gotta have one of these new Rams...the best they have ever made.

I think I may just wait to see if we get the other tailgate and the stowable ramps...if they weren't so expensive and depricitive...I would buy and not care, but I want to get what I need while getting what I want,and there is more to come

Good times to be a pick up fan.

I thought sport sedans were competitive, but they've got nothing on pickups. It's good to be the beneficiaries of the Big 3 one-ups-manship game. Mopar seemed to have turned a corner about 20 years ago and got VERY good at designing gas engines. The 5.7, 6.1, 6.2 Hellcat, and 6.4 have all been exceptionally durable and reliable. The 3.6 Pentastar is also definitely worth mentioning.

Mopar's Hellephant engine, the 7.0 L 426 cubic incher has been making a big splash since last fall. The new HD Cummins Ram is first to market with 1,000 lb-ft... and I think Mopar has their eye on being first with a 1,000 hp production vehicle. C'mon now. Idc who ya are, you gotta love Mopar passion!

IIUC, the 6.4L came to the Charger/Challenger first and then moved into Ram pickups. Maybe the same path for the 7.0 L... if so, I'd anticipate another couple of years for that move to happen. I stop short at calling this a confirmation, but it seems to fit the landscape considering Ford's new 7.3 L gasser and GM's new 6.6 L gasser in their trucks.

Kamikaze6780

Reaction score
I can't say that I really like the tailgate design. I really hope they give two options for that, where one has just a normal tailgate.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I thought sport sedans were competitive, but they've got nothing on pickups. It's good to be the beneficiaries of the Big 3 one-ups-manship game. Mopar seemed to have turned a corner about 20 years ago and got VERY good at designing gas engines. The 5.7, 6.1, 6.2 Hellcat, and 6.4 have all been exceptionally durable and reliable. The 3.6 Pentastar is also definitely worth mentioning.

Mopar's Hellephant engine, the 7.0 L 426 cubic incher has been making a big splash since last fall. The new HD Cummins Ram is first to market with 1,000 lb-ft... and I think Mopar has their eye on being first with a 1,000 hp production vehicle. C'mon now. Idc who ya are, you gotta love Mopar passion!

IIUC, the 6.4L came to the Charger/Challenger first and then moved into Ram pickups. Maybe the same path for the 7.0 L... if so, I'd anticipate another couple of years for that move to happen. I stop short at calling this a confirmation, but it seems to fit the landscape considering Ford's new 7.3 L gasser and GM's new 6.6 L gasser in their trucks.

Regarding the Hellephant there is 0 chance of that ever making it to a production vehicle. The block for that engine is a race block manufactured at prefix and the whole thing is put together as a crate package. I know there's a certain idiot on YouTube that's trying to convince people that it's coming to production but according to our sources which I believe there is no way, no how that's ever happening. The Hellephant also shares nothing other than displacement with the 7.0l (426) hemi that is being designed currently, again according to our sources there is no supercharged variant of that engine currently in the works.

The current HELLCAT is emissions/cafe complaint to 2024/2025 and that's what will be used as the high HP engine up until that time.

Anyone that believes in production Hellephants, Charger Angels or factory 8 second production cars is going to be disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread