5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram Introduces New Multi-function Tailgate In Chicago:

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Have to say I do like the vertical slats on the inside of the tailgate that match the RamBox bed interior and the way the bedliner wraps around the outer sides of the tailgate as well. Looks sharp.

I still need to jump up and down on one of these. I just can't picture how it's going to support 2,000 lbs for years and not sag in the middle. Love to be wrong though...

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Have to say I do like the vertical slats on the inside of the tailgate that match the RamBox bed interior and the way the bedliner wraps around the outer sides of the tailgate as well. Looks sharp.

I still need to jump up and down on one of these. I just can't picture how it's going to support 2,000 lbs for years and not sag in the middle. Love to be wrong though...

We will be at the Chicago Auto Show media days this week and will have a chance to ask the engineering team some questions. Trucks with the tailgate should be there so we can also get a closer look. Let us know if there's anything you guys would like to know and we will see what we can dig up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris

Reaction score

I bet there is an asterisk on that rating, with a requirement of the weight spread evenly over the whole tailgate. The center/top edge itself is probably rated much lower, more like 600 lbs, with additional weight needing to be shifted to the back or sides.

Chris

Reaction score
We will be at the Chicago Auto Show media days this week and will have a chance to ask the engineering team some questions. Trucks with the tailgate should be there so we can also get a closer look. Let us know if there's anything you guys would like to know and we will see what we can dig up.

I’m curious how much wieght these have over a normal tailgate (and thus how much payload you lose); I would love to get the numbers early and not make us play the “compare door sticker” game

RamConvert82

Reaction score

I'd say it would be wonderful to have definitive answers about retrofitting an existing 2019. Does it really require full bed replacement and why? No ability to swap the tailgate out @ hinges?

Much appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score

bgmshrm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
how much does a standard tailgate weigh ? half that ? 30 + 75 ?

Last edited:

Jackham

Reaction score
I can see some of you being able to make use of this option. It all started with Ford's step in tailgate options which is one of the most used items on my '11. Simple, practical, a help.
I think the Chevy approach is way too complicated and I predict as it gets old and dirty it will be a problem.
This tailgate can be quite a option for a particular person. If it was available for my ordered 2019 I would not get this. I simply don't see it helping me much. I don't think you will be able to reach stuff in the bed that much better and now your pants will get wet/dirty when they hit the bumper. However I am 6' and long armed so I don't have much problem reaching in and with my side steps I have no problem at all.

So I will take my side step assist option and a traditional gate thanks on my Longhorn....now build it FCA:)

Now that center step assist. How does that square with a trailer hitch?

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can see some of you being able to make use of this option. It all started with Ford's step in tailgate options which is one of the most used items on my '11. Simple, practical, a help.
I think the Chevy approach is way too complicated and I predict as it gets old and dirty it will be a problem.
This tailgate can be quite a option for a particular person. If it was available for my ordered 2019 I would not get this. I simply don't see it helping me much. I don't think you will be able to reach stuff in the bed that much better and now your pants will get wet/dirty when they hit the bumper. However I am 6' and long armed so I don't have much problem reaching in and with my side steps I have no problem at all.

So I will take my side step assist option and a traditional gate thanks on my Longhorn....now build it FCA:)

That center step appears to be off-center, to the left of the hitch in that video, so you can use it with a hitch at the same time. Looks like it might be centered on the 60% door.

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Sightly to the left of the hitch

mikemcfarland

Reaction score
definitely would have ordered this if was available when i purchased my truck. wouldn't use it every day, but at least once a week.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
Primary concern is the 88 degree swing.

It is a great price, though. Only $400 since it includes a spray on bedliner.

Ram has best complete bed solutions with rambox, bed extender/diverder, and multifunction tailgate. I'm glad they advertised it that way

Also it is available on every trim unlike GM solution, so ram actually intends for this to be used on work oriented trim levels with a decent take rate expected I bet.

Users who are viewing this thread