5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is getting taxed on more than you paid strictly a California thing? That seems very, very wrong....

Agreed, that's messed up. I don't think they get the trade in sales tax credit either.

roca916

Reaction score
Question for those in Ca. I bought a 21 Ram in 21 and instead of being taxed on the sale price they used the MSRP on the sticker. I am looking for a Grand Cherokee for my daughter, if it is a used vehicle, say 2020, will it be taxed on the sale price or the 2020 sticker. Thanks
I'm not 100% certain but I thought it was calculated on the price after dealer discounts, but before rebates. Someone with more knowledge may be able to verify.

And correct, as far as I know you don't get tax credit for trade in

EDIT: Further reading states tax is calculated before dealer incentives, so maybe it is on msrp.?? I suppose it depends in how dealer discounts are categorizes

Last edited:

Kenny4

Reaction score
I just called a dealership and they said new is taxed on final price plus any rebates you were allowed and dealer discounts are iffy. Used is just the final price you agree on. Sorry to bother you guys, should have called the dealer first. The sales tax can be a deal breaker in some situations. Just trying to do the best I can for my daughter.

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just called a dealership and they said new is taxed on final price plus any rebates you were allowed and dealer discounts are iffy. Used is just the final price you agree on. Sorry to bother you guys, should have called the dealer first. The sales tax can be a deal breaker in some situations. Just trying to do the best I can for my daughter.
I don't think that's bother at all. Dude, you just did leg work and shared it here. The next person that comes along searching and answer to the same question will much appreciate the effort.

roca916

Reaction score
Good to know. Thank you for following up.

monkeypunch

Reaction score
Sales tax is such a state to state thing. In OK its just a 3.x% tax on the sale price of the new vehicle.

Cruzer1

Reaction score
Today I called one of the Ram dealers in the forums "Volume Dealers" list. I was told that the Ram Limited on the dealers lot is availble but is listed at $2500 more than MSRP. All due to the trucking "Chip" issue. I asked if I could order a new 2022 instead. I was told the pricing would be even more? I have not talked to Aaron at Mark Dodge, maybe I should. My search for the last few dates have been tough!

monkeypunch

Reaction score
Today I called one of the Ram dealers in the forums "Volume Dealers" list. I was told that the Ram Limited on the dealers lot is availble but is listed at $2500 more than MSRP. All due to the trucking "Chip" issue. I asked if I could order a new 2022 instead. I was told the pricing would be even more? I have not talked to Aaron at Mark Dodge, maybe I should. My search for the last few dates have been tough!
I placed an order with them. They were waaaaaay better to deal with then anyone else I spoke it. I MAY have been able to get somewhat close to price locally, but it would have been work and fighting about dealer addons.

PlumSmuggler

Reaction score

I'm in the process of deal hunting for a Rebel. The volume sellers are over MSRP for those on the lot, but under invoice on a factory order. The two that got back to me so far were 5.5% and 6% under invoice for a factory order. But...one won't sell to MA residents and the other would incur $1500 in shipping so I'm trying to work some magic locally. So far I haven't been able to get better than 2% under invoice on a factory order. [sad panda]

Definitely email Aaron. They were very responsive...just not the best logistically for me.

I have a healthy trade so if I can get 3-4% under invoice I'd be pretty happy.

- Mr Plum

Howie Dub

Reaction score
Question for those of you who live in Ca but purchased new out of state. The Ca dmv was trying to tell me that even brand new coming in has to have smog and you lose 8 year smog exemption. Has anyone experienced this? Thanks
This is from the Commiefornia Bureau of Automotive Repair. Doesn't mention out-of-state vehicles requiring a biennial smog check. Just says that out-of-state vehicles need a smog check when registering in CA for the first time.

I sure hope not though. I'll let you know for sure in 2 years.

krl603

Reaction score
How's Mark Dodge with shipping to other parts of the country? The Ram dealers near me in New England all seem to be playing the high price/low volume game which is making it hard to get below MSRP let alone a good deal on a Ram Rebel order.

- Mr Plum
I would try going to Foss in Exeter NH. I worked with Scott and he was a great guy to deal with. Held out for the end of the month in May and he finally had his manager get to the price I wanted. He was a pretty straight forward guy.

Brigham Gill in Natick had ok offers based on the current environment, but the manager was not willing to work at all on price. If you do deal with Scott let him know I sent you as I think I get $100 per referral.

Riley1

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'll make this short, a few pages back I posted regarding my experience with Mark Dodge. Things didn't go the way I had expected. Aaron contacted me and the situation was discussed and resolved. Even though the situation with the truck I was interested in didn't change (wrecked), my opinion of Mark Dodge has. After the communication with Aaron I have to say I wouldn't hesitate doing business with him in the future (and probably will).

Rick

Last edited:

Nova90

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'll make this short, a few pages back I posted regarding my experience with Mark Dodge. Things didn't go the way I had expected. Aaron contacted me and the situation was discussed and resolved. Even though the situation with the truck I was interested in didn't change (wrecked), my opinion of Mark Dodge has. After the communication with Aaron I have to say I wouldn't hesitate doing business with him in the future (and probably will).

Ric
Thanks for the update...I've been very happy with my purchase experience from Mark Dodge. My Rebel is due to be delivered to my house today!

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Rick
Glad to hear that things are going to work out!

Eldodroptop

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Rick

i am really glad you allowed Aaron to prove to you that this buying experience is truly different. There ARE many good dealerships out there. But seeing the consistency of real reviews by normal people from all over the country posting in this thread, plus MY personal experience, the fact that you were NOT satisfied initially and Aaron reached out to you and made it right should be absolute proof positive that anyone reading this thread would be acting against their own best self interest if they did not at least email Aaron and see what he can do for them.

Users who are viewing this thread