5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

69Safari

Reaction score
Here's a plug for Tempe CDJR in Arizona. We didn't make a deal but the salesman I spoke with, TJ Campbell, was very helpful and actually advised that I could probably do better elsewhere (they could do Invoice minus half the holdback which, on my $75K build, would be about $900). He said that if I had any questions about what another dealer was telling me, to give him a call and he would offer advice on what was legit and what was bs. Really good guy. If I lived in Arizona and was buying off the lot, I would definitely seek him out.

69Safari

Reaction score
Nope, Lakeland is doing 7% off invoice. BEFORE INCENTIVES AND REBATES.
So it's 7% off invoice plus rebates/incentives.
(I think you're thinking of Criswell or Koons)

Haven't seen anyone beat that.
No. Run the numbers and you'll see that Mark Dodge clearly has a better deal than Lakeland...a considerably better deal.

AK103

Reaction score
No. Run the numbers and you'll see that Mark Dodge clearly has a better deal than Lakeland...a considerably better deal.

Kinda hard to run the numbers when Mark Dodge won't give you an actual breakdown of the discount on here.

But on the vehicle they had instock -
It was more expensive than Lakeland.
They were also factoring in a $1500 rebate not everyone qualifies for in their price.

I'd love to get an actual price break down on a 1500 Limited order.

Kenny4

Reaction score
Just curious. Most keep posting 6-7% off invoice but no figures with it or pic of the invoice. It seems that invoice is approx. 8-10% off msrp and hold back is another 1 1/2-2% more off of msrp. So that at best is 12% off msrp. My 2021 Bighorn was $43,250 msrp. I paid $34,900 plus tax, lic and $85 for docs. $39K out the door. That is $8,350 off 19% off msrp. To me that seemed to be a good deal. There were only 3 in the color I wanted in all of So. Cal. So does do your 6-7% off invoice minus rebates give you more than 19% off msrp? Thanks

baccigalup

Reaction score
I picked up my truck from Koons/Craig yesterday and drove back to FL. Here's the long and the short of it:

The price I was quoted prior to arriving was honored and the destination charge was not added back in. And again, this price was not "available" with promotional financing rates, which I wasn't told at the time I placed the order.

I qualified for $1500 in rebates ($1500 Bonus Cash and $1000 Conquest). When I sat down with Craig, the rebates line item was showing $4500 (not $2500), yet the bottom line (unpaid balance) was the same as agreed to. So, there is some manipulation of the "above the line" numbers. The line item "market value" on my original quote was FWP minus 6.5%. The "market value" number on the final paperwork was different, I assume in order to make the bottom line math work with the $4500 in rebates shown on the paperwork. Craig said something about dealer coupons to make the deal profitable. I don't really know. That's smoke and mirrors on their end. All that matters is the bottom line number and I paid the quoted price.

The finance guy was nice enough. He saw that I had a PenFed loan lined up at 2.89%. He claimed he could get me a lower rate from a lender outside of CCAP, to "save me money." I wasn't interested in messing with lifting with my credit freezes and yet another credit pull, etc. In the end, I will repay the PenFed loan in a few months, so I'm not leaving much if anything on the table with a slightly higher interest rate. Maybe he could have gotten a better rate. Who knows, but it was a moot point for me.

The finance guy also tried to sell a number of extended warranties, which I declined. He also tried to sell some kind of four-year scheduled maintenance plan that miraculously went from around $2500 to $1500 to $750 over the course of five minutes. I declined.

One last point; the truck was delivered with the wrong wheels. Craig's initial attitude was simply "this is the build order you signed." But I dug through our email exchanges and showed him the PDF build from the Ram site that he asked for at the time the order was placed, which showed the other wheels, as well as some other exchanges specifically discussing the wheels. My feeling is that he was reluctant to admit wrongdoing but ultimately, after digging through his computer, offered a mea culpa and an apology.

If I cared more about the wheels, I might have pressed the issue. In the end, I simply wanted him to acknowledge that it was his mistake and not mine, and ultimately, he did.

Lastly, they have you sign some ridiculous document stating you will provide all "tens and yeses" in response to the online survey. This is disingenuous at best but makes for a good laugh.

Oh, and the 33 gallon tank is awesome. I stopped for fuel only once.

View attachment 76962
Congrats on the truck.....so was told they run a mandatory credit check on all their customers and they make you sign a doc to that effect..you didnt sign anything like that?

zazu87usf

Reaction score
Nope, Lakeland is doing 7% off invoice. BEFORE INCENTIVES AND REBATES.
So it's 7% off invoice plus rebates/incentives.
(I think you're thinking of Criswell or Koons)

Haven't seen anyone beat that.
I just got a quote from Mike @ Lakeland. Was not 7% off and had $1500 in fees!

Reaction score
Kinda hard to run the numbers when Mark Dodge won't give you an actual breakdown of the discount on here.

But on the vehicle they had instock -
It was more expensive than Lakeland.
They were also factoring in a $1500 rebate not everyone qualifies for in their price.

I'd love to get an actual price break down on a 1500 Limited order.

Not hard to run the numbers at all, just email the truck you want me to build. I don’t calculate any rebates in the price I give you. My fees are $219 total. (Doc/temp-tag/notary).

When you say actual break down of numbers. The price I give you is all dealer discount. I won’t say I give a certain % off on a truck because the pricing varies. The more expensive the truck, the more discount because it has more markup. Give me a shot, I won’t let you down my friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dodgeramfan

Reaction score
Picked up a 2021 Big Horn (Crew Cab, 4x4, Night, etc.).

MSRP $58,915
Total Discount: $10,605 (EP+dealer discount+finance discount)**
Final Price: $48,310 (18% off) MSRP

In the past I would have waited or pushed for a better deal but the older I get, the less patient I am with the car buying process. Had an offer for 20% off but the dealer was 200 miles away and the truck was missing a few options I wanted. Adding them later would have negated the additional savings (and, in fact, cost me more). Another dealer had one with options I did not want. Getting 20% off options I don't want is not a deal for me. I found the sweet spot with the local deal and supported a local family business.

**Will refinance shortly with credit union

Gertrude

Reaction score
We tried to custom order our truck, and then found out we wouldn't get employee pricing. So had to pivot and try to find our top 3 priorities (multi-function tailgate, RAM boxes, bed utility group) within 250 miles of us at a decent price. The main difference in the one we wanted to order and the one we ended up buying off a lot is that we didn't get the southwest package (mainly missing power running boards/locking box in console), the tow group, or the larger fuel tank. Otherwise most of the rest of the truck ended up being about the same with the options on the one we bought off the lot.

Purchased in Central Texas
2021 Laramie 4x2
Patriot Blue Exterior with Black interior, including full-length console
Chrome Package
Chrome Mirrors
Pano Sunroof
UConnect w/12" screen
Bed Utility Group
Multi-Function Tailgate
RamBoxes
Laramie Level 1
3.92 Axle
V8 VVT Engine

Sticker price was right at $60,000 (included a destination charge). We got it for $51,500 with $2,250 in rebates, so net sales price was basically $49,250. (Despite multiple tries, I never was able to get the $1500 coupon from the website - and I was on there a LOT doing research).

With sales tax ($3100) and all the other paperwork fees ($90 for Dealer Inventory Tax, $25 State Inspection, $175 License Fees, $160 Documentary Fee, $10 Deputy Fee), and buying an extended contract ($1250), it ended up being just under $54,000 out the door. The dealership wasn't willing to budge and negotiate on the price at all - said it was the best around. Unfortunately the inventory within 250 miles of us that had the tailgate, boxes, and bed utility group wasn't great, so we didn't have much power to negotiate. I'm happy enough with the price and we only had to drive an hour and a half to get it. We keep our trucks forever (kept our old one that is 13 years old and will use it for hauling messy/dirty stuff), so I figured over the life of the truck the cost was fine. We went in with a quote from my bank to give us 2.39% interest, but ended up having to finance with Chrysler at 4.99% to get an extra $1000 off, and the finance rate is so awful that our finance lady told us we were getting robbed and to refinance as soon as we could.

This is our first time buying new, ever. We always buy slightly used and save the difference, but the prices were so good on the new trucks right now that it made more sense to buy new than used. Plus it was really hard to search used inventory for the BUG, MFT, and the Ramboxes. The truck has got pretty much everything we wanted and it's so much nicer than our 2007. The biggest bonus is that we went from a King Cab TItan to a Crew Cab Ram so the backseat feels like it quadrupled in space for my kid and giant dog.

Overall I'm pretty happy with our deal. The dealership insisted the cargo divider wasn't included, but gave it to us as part of the deal with us having to get it keyed to match our truck ourselves. But after a strongly worded email they are reimbursing us the cost to buy the lock cylinder and get it rekeyed so I'm pretty okay with the whole ordeal.

Last edited:

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
We tried to custom order our truck, and then found out we wouldn't get employee pricing. So had to pivot and try to find our top 3 priorities (multi-function tailgate, RAM boxes, bed utility group) within 250 miles of us at a decent price. The main difference in the one we wanted to order and the one we ended up buying off a lot is that we didn't get the southwest package (mainly missing power running boards/locking box in console), the tow group, or the larger fuel tank. Otherwise most of the rest of the truck ended up being about the same with the options on the one we bought off the lot.

Purchased in Central Texas
2021 Laramie 4x2
Patriot Blue Exterior with Black interior, including full-length console
Chrome Package
Chrome Mirrors
Pano Sunroof
UConnect w/12" screen
Bed Utility Group
Multi-Function Tailgate
RamBoxes
Laramie Level 1
3.92 Axle
V8 VVT Engine

Sticker price was right at $60,000 (included a destination charge). We got it for $51,500 with $2,250 in rebates, so net sales price was basically $49,250. (Despite multiple tries, I never was able to get the $1500 coupon from the website - and I was on there a LOT doing research).

With sales tax ($3100) and all the other paperwork fees ($90 for Dealer Inventory Tax, $25 State Inspection, $175 License Fees, $160 Documentary Fee, $10 Deputy Fee), and buying an extended contract ($1250), it ended up being just under $54,000 out the door. The dealership wasn't willing to budge and negotiate on the price at all - said it was the best around. Unfortunately the inventory within 250 miles of us that had the tailgate, boxes, and bed utility group wasn't great, so we didn't have much power to negotiate. I'm happy enough with the price and we only had to drive an hour and a half to get it. We keep our trucks forever (kept our old one that is 13 years old and will use it for hauling messy/dirty stuff), so I figured over the life of the truck the cost was fine. We went in with a quote from my bank to give us 2.39% interest, but ended up having to finance with Chrysler at 4.99? to get an extra $1000 off, and the finance rate is so awful that our finance lady told us we were getting robbed and to refinance as soon as we could.

This is our first time buying new, ever. We always buy slightly used and save the difference, but the prices were so good on the new trucks right now that it made more sense to buy new than used. Plus it was really hard to search used inventory for the BUG, MFT, and the Ramboxes. The truck has got pretty much everything we wanted and it's so much nicer than our 2007. The biggest bonus is that we went from a King Cab TItan to a Crew Cab Ram so the backseat feels like it quadrupled in space for my kid and giant dog.

Overall I'm pretty happy with our deal. The dealership insisted the cargo divider wasn't included, but gave it to us as part of the deal with us having to get it keyed to match our truck ourselves. But after a strongly worded email they are reimbursing us the cost to buy the lock cylinder and get it rekeyed so I'm pretty okay with the whole ordeal.
If you plug in your loan it will calculate what interest and principal amount you are paying each month. As an example: $50,000 at 5% for 5 years is $200 interest per month for the initial months.

Gertrude

Reaction score
Thanks - it was a typo and should have said 4.99%and not 4.99? But I appreciate the helpful info!

Grouper

Reaction score
Congrats on the truck.....so was told they run a mandatory credit check on all their customers and they make you sign a doc to that effect..you didnt sign anything like that?

I filled out an application for credit through Koons' site which obviously allowed them to pull my credit information. They showed me a copy of my printed credit report. I signed about 14 documents at closing but none of them relate to credit (unless I'm missing it).

Filling out the credit application obviously gave them access to my credit history.

If you don't apply for credit through Koons/CCAP, then yes, I believe they will run a credit check on the day of the sale, regardless of how you're paying.

AK103

Reaction score
Just curious. Most keep posting 6-7% off invoice but no figures with it or pic of the invoice. It seems that invoice is approx. 8-10% off msrp and hold back is another 1 1/2-2% more off of msrp. So that at best is 12% off msrp. My 2021 Bighorn was $43,250 msrp. I paid $34,900 plus tax, lic and $85 for docs. $39K out the door. That is $8,350 off 19% off msrp. To me that seemed to be a good deal. There were only 3 in the color I wanted in all of So. Cal. So does do your 6-7% off invoice minus rebates give you more than 19% off msrp? Thanks

My Limited was roughly 15% off MSRP with 7% off invoice.
That's before rebates/incentives.

njt07

Reaction score
i ended up getting about 10% off invoice at the end before my trade.

baccigalup

Reaction score
I filled out an application for credit through Koons' site which obviously allowed them to pull my credit information. They showed me a copy of my printed credit report. I signed about 14 documents at closing but none of them relate to credit (unless I'm missing it).

Filling out the credit application obviously gave them access to my credit history.

If you don't apply for credit through Koons/CCAP, then yes, I believe they will run a credit check on the day of the sale, regardless of how you're paying.
Yes thats it.its really an application for credit thru them..and the last line he tells you not to sign or it will be a credit app.....totally dont understand that if you come in with your own financing...i think they get a kickback whether you apply or not.

Users who are viewing this thread