5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

Ram1500OwnerMaybe

Reaction score
With regards to
I am building a spreadsheet and trying to understand what you guys are referencing when you say % off. I see a few factors / numbers in play.

MSRP: % off goal?
MSRP - Incentives/Rebates: % off goal?
MSRP + Dealer Fee - Incentives/Rebates: % off goal?

sorry if this has been discussed before :)

I would be happy with 20% meaning take 20% off MSRP for the "out the door" price.
If lucky you could get better.

If someone states they received 25% off MSRP, after adding dealer fees and other crazy charges that could easily jack up the out the door price.

Stick with MSRP and the out the door price.
Tell the dealer they can do what ever magic they want to get from MSRP to out the door price.

Murdock

Reaction score
100% agree. I just bought a 2020 limited for $72,850 MSRP @ $59,914 before TTL which is 17.75% off. Dealer discount of $8,436 and rebates were $4,500. I researched this thread and historical information tirelessly for about 6 weeks because I'm OCD. After talking with approximately 10-12 dealers across the entire southeast, this was the best deal I could find. I can't remember the exact invoice price which they did in fact show me but they sold the truck at around 2-3K below invoice which is when I knew I had a great deal. Only one other dealer would come close to this deal. All the others dealers would start laughing and/or go no further than the 10-12% off range (dealer discount only). These deals where people are getting 20% or more IMO are deals where the truck is a previous year model close to new models coming out, is a unique color or configuration that is not particularly popular, is dealer demo, or they where buying when incentives where crazy good.

Could I have gotten more of discount? Yes, however I literally got the exact truck I wanted so saving a few hundred wasn't worth the hassle or buying something I wasn't 100% happy with. I would set a goal to buy with a 20% discount if you can get exactly what you want. However, keep in mind that this % is not equal across all models. For example, even though the higher the trim level trucks provides greater margin for the dealer and manufacturer you typically see lower discounts as the trim level goes up because it's a different customer and demographic. In other words, you may be able to get up to 25% off on a Big Horn but I would say 20% would be the equivalent on a Limited based on my experience. Another example of this is where you see high end luxury vehicles that typically can not be bought at any discount at all.
Based on what I'm seeing, that's still a pretty darn good deal. The best I've gotten thus far on a loaded Limited (at least mostly loaded) was MSRP of 69,225 which they would sell for $62,552 equating to ~10% dealer discount. When doing the math on all the trucks locally, the best dealer discounts that I saw were between 8.5 - 10.5%. Might have had one inch closer to 11, but like 10.8%. So you getting a dealer discount of 11.6% off seems pretty dang good from my vantage point.

Think I'm with most on here and going to wait. I don't NEED a new truck, I just wanted one. Heck, I might just hold off a year for the new Tundra to come out and see how it stacks up again the Ram. The late model Tundras (and Toyotas for that matter) are so far behind in technology it's crazy, otherwise I would be looking at them currently. We got my wife a new Hyundai Palisade when they first came out and we went and drove all other competitor models...and the tech in the loaded Toyota Highlander didn't even SNIFF the tech in the Hyundai. Was like comparing a PS5 to a 16-bit Nintendo.

Sir Ramcelot

Reaction score
Big 3 can open Monday if they’re ready per the Gov. Let’s see how long it takes them to open and actually start producing trucks again.

NJC1684

Reaction score
With regards to

I would be happy with 20% meaning take 20% off MSRP for the "out the door" price.
If lucky you could get better.

If someone states they received 25% off MSRP, after adding dealer fees and other crazy charges that could easily jack up the out the door price.

Stick with MSRP and the out the door price.
Tell the dealer they can do what ever magic they want to get from MSRP to out the door price.
OTD does nothing for anyone unless local as all T/T/L fees are different.

Also not sure what the fuss is about dealer fees as those usually equate to only ~1% or so unless talking add-ons.

DinkyMcStinky

Reaction score
Question for all of you. How do you deal with dealers that won't reveal how they are coming to their final price? I've been talking to multiple dealers trying to find the right truck and two of them will not give me a breakdown of the numbers. My problem is I'm looking for a very specific build-out and there is select inventory within 8 hours of my location. I already have financing and ready to sign paperwork but I'm getting frustrated.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Question for all of you. How do you deal with dealers that won't reveal how they are coming to their final price? I've been talking to multiple dealers trying to find the right truck and two of them will not give me a breakdown of the numbers. My problem is I'm looking for a very specific build-out and there is select inventory within 8 hours of my location. I already have financing and ready to sign paperwork but I'm getting frustrated.
Who cares about anything but the OTD price? The breakdown of the numbers is irrelevant.

DinkyMcStinky

Reaction score
Who cares about anything but the OTD price? The breakdown of the numbers is irrelevant.

Because if they are including Chrysler Cap financing rebate, I don't want it. I know I can refinance as soon as the deal is done, but it's a headache I'd rather not deal with.

Sir Ramcelot

Reaction score
Because if they are including Chrysler Cap financing rebate, I don't want it. I know I can refinance as soon as the deal is done, but it's a headache I'd rather not deal with.

You have all the power in the negotiation not them. If they won’t be transparent about the break-out then they are hiding something. I have bought several hours away many times and I don’t talk on the phone or leave until everything is in wroting clearly broken out by line item. Just walk away if they play the games. With your financing in hand, you’re a cash buyer.

Dramrod

Reaction score

ask their manager for the rebate breakdown. Additionally, you can compare msrp prices to similar ones in your area and some website show how much rebates are. You can use TrueCar to see which rebates apply as a guide. Then see how much other dealers are offering off for their “dealer discount.” Worst case, low-ball them to where they say “they can’t do it,” and ask why. Offer 30% off msrp and fine tune-it to 25+ depending on your trim.

Mch5jdm

Reaction score
I got a lucky deal on a demo 2020 Big Horn 1500. It was purchased on 3/1 and retired with 415 miles on it. I bought it a month later at 467 miles. MSRP 51915 selling price was 35,700. I couldn’t get any of the financing offers or rebates but my local CU gave a 2.49% on 60 month lease. The good thing for me was this extended the power train to 100k because it was certified. Love my new truck. I’ll go demo here on out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AngryBish

Reaction score
I have never purchased a new truck before, I have read many pages in this thread. I keep reading about better rebates/incentives. What would those be?

I am in Ontario, Canada and ram is currently offering 25% off msrp for 2019 classics and 3.49 financing.

Does anybody know if the incentives are US and Canadian?

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Classic? Remember the difference. Maybe you already know but if you want the new 5th gen, don’t get a classic.

AngryBish

Reaction score
Classic? Remember the difference. Maybe you already know but if you want the new 5th gen, don’t get a classic.

Yeah I almost bought a 19 classic, but I didn’t like that it looked so similar to my 2007 1500.

But it was 27% off msrp.

NJC1684

Reaction score
Not sure what's difficult about asking that question? :unsure: lol

Users who are viewing this thread