5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

MickeyH

Reaction score
Ended up with this deal if anyone was wondering.

2021 Big Horn -4x4
Night Edition
Premium Lighting
eTorque Hemi
Big Horn Lvl 2 Package

MSRP: 52,500.00
Discounts: 3071.00
Rebates: 7000.00

Price: 42,429 + Tax/title/tags

For some reason they kept pushing my rebates instead of discounts, which i was kinda upset about since discount money lowered tax money, but it was probably something they were messing with to get them more money. Total 10k off, right around 20%
Wow, that's a good deal. I am actually looking for literally the same package. Can you share dealer contact info?

BigD

Reaction score
Okay, so I put a deposit on a 2020 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x2 with a 5'-7" box. It had the Bighorn Level 1 upgrade with the 8.4inch screen, storage bin in the rear and rubber floor mats. Only had 20 miles when I took it for a test drive. And it has the upgraded rims I think they are 20 inch wheels? It has the 275/55r20.

In texas, vehicles have a 6.25% tax rate, and I had to talk them down from 1895 to 1645 on dealer add-ons. I was able to get a spray in bed liner at no additional charge.

Drive out price was $38,734.99

No it wasn't my laramie that I wanted with leather and the nicer headlights but I could not justify the price I was Gunna pay for it.

I got what I needed and since I was under budget I'm using that money to have them install a 33 gallon fuel tank. I should have a price back from them on Wednesday for it.

I feel like I got a good price on it even though I still had to hand over 1645 for the damn add on crap which really chaps my *** BIG TIME. I tried everything I could to get them to remove it.

What do you guys think? Did I over pay? Don't be too blunt for my own sanity. Lol

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Makes me so grateful I bought my truck last April instead of waiting. I paid $40,726 & got a free roll up cover. U can read my vitals & see how loaded my Bighorn is.

BigD

Reaction score
Wow, that's a good deal. I am actually looking for literally the same package. Can you share dealer contact info?
I got the exact same truck except 2020. I paid almost $2,000 less. $40,726 plus tax, title, license. I bought last April. I can't believe how much they've gone up in price.

BigD

Reaction score
My strategy for getting the best price is I negotiate top dollar for my trade to lessen my tax burden. I also internet shop beforehand to get the best out the door price & then I don't stress about the interest rate. I'd rather have all available rebates & discounts. Then I ALWAYS pay off the loan early. Why refinance? Just pay it off way early & save on all that interest!!

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My strategy for getting the best price is I negotiate top dollar for my trade to lessen my tax burden. I also internet shop beforehand to get the best out the door price & then I don't stress about the interest rate. I'd rather have all available rebates & discounts. Then I ALWAYS pay off the loan early. Why refinance? Just pay it off way early & save on all that interest!!
Or... finance with the manufacturer to get the finance rebate, then refinance a couple weeks after purchase at a substantially lower interest rate, and pay that loan off early.

BigD

Reaction score
Or... finance with the manufacturer to get the finance rebate, then refinance a couple weeks after purchase at a substantially lower interest rate, and pay that loan off early.
Is there any sort of fee to refinance? I mean what's the catch ? How does the refinance company make money ?

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is there any sort of fee to refinance? I mean what's the catch ? How does the refinance company make money ?

I've never gotten a fee from the refinance company. They make their money the same way any other bank does, the interest from the loan.

BigD

Reaction score
I've never gotten a fee from the refinance company. They make their money the same way any other bank does, the interest from the loan.
But if they see u originally got a 5% loan, why would they give u 3% ? You'd think they'd give u 4 % & keep 1% for their added profit. At least that's how it works when u refinance a house. U NEVER get the lowest rate u qualify for unless you pay points.

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
But if they see u originally got a 5% loan, why would they give u 3% ? You'd think they'd give u 4 % & keep 1% for their added profit. At least that's how it works when u refinance a house. U NEVER get the lowest rate u qualify for unless you pay points.

Your not going to refi with the Chrysler Capital, you would be refinancing with a company of your choice. I have done this a few times. Get the discounts from the dealer and their finance only to 3 months later refi with a bank of my choice for the lower rate. It's all part of the game.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No fee usually. Not like refinancing a mortgage. I have always refinanced with a credit union. You could use any bank you want. All you usually need is the 10 day payoff amount and the payoff address (most banks or credit unions know the address for the manufacturer financing arms). This is a 5 min phone call to Chrysler Capital.

You don't refinance with the manufacturer's financing arm (in this case Chrysler Capital). The new bank makes their money on the interest on the new loan.

Last edited:

STI_MECE

Reaction score
Makes me so grateful I bought my truck last April instead of waiting. I paid $40,726 & got a free roll up cover. U can read my vitals & see how loaded my Bighorn is.
Okay? Lol

jmcdtucson

Reaction score
I'm sure I could have done a better. But this is without negotiating, just shopping around:

2021 Limited

MSRP $69,860
Dealer discount: $8,296
Incentives ($1500 + $500 for financing = $2,000)
Selling Price: 58,964. Almost 16% under MSRP
$700 dealer fees (high but I was pretty happy with the rest of the deal)
$600: dealer add-ons (window tint and door protect) that I wanted anyway but probably could've got cheaper.

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm sure I could have done a better. But this is without negotiating, just shopping around:

2021 Limited

MSRP $69,860
Dealer discount: $8,296
Incentives ($1500 + $500 for financing = $2,000)
Selling Price: 58,964. Almost 16% under MSRP
$700 dealer fees (high but I was pretty happy with the rest of the deal)
$600: dealer add-ons (window tint and door protect) that I wanted anyway but probably could've got cheaper.

You still need to factor in TTL. That's how you get the correct % off.

slatersan

Reaction score
You still need to factor in TTL. That's how you get the correct % off.
Those fees go to governmental agencies and are not negotiable in any way. TTL vary wildly depending on where you register, so to use when figuring out % off gives an unmatched comparison to sales in other states. Example: Montana charges 0% sales tax while Oklahoma charges 11.5%

If you must use TTL as a metric for how good your deal is, factor TTL on MSRP first, then TTL on price paid. Kind of a meaningless calc, but at least it's fair.

Last edited:

BigD

Reaction score
Okay? Lol

So basically you didn't get a very good deal. My truck is 4x4. I have the LED lights, night edition. I have the level 2 comfort package all for $2,000 more than u paid. Just the 4x4 alone is worth $4,000 !! LED package is worth 1,000. Level 2 vs. Level 1 is $1,500.

slatersan

Reaction score
So basically you didn't get a very good deal. My truck is 4x4. I have the LED lights, night edition. I have the level 2 comfort package all for $2,000 more than u paid. Just the 4x4 alone is worth $4,000 !! LED package is worth 1,000. Level 2 vs. Level 1 is $1,500.
Not everybody bought in the early stages of a pandemic when sales hit the basement and manufacturers responded by nearly paying people to take cars off the lot.

STI_MECE

Reaction score
Didn't you say you paid 40K before TTL?

BigD

Reaction score
Not everybody bought in the early stages of a pandemic when sales hit the basement and manufacturers responded by nearly paying people to take cars off the lot.
Yeah, I'm damn lucky I guess. I wasn't planning on buying last April. Was gonna buy Oct/Nov 2020 because I figured that's when all the deals are. But the pandemic sure threw a curveball. No one could've predicted there'd be a shortage of trucks a year into this pandemic. I think we all figured it would've been back to normal months ago.

BigD

Reaction score
Didn't you say you paid 40K before TTL?

TTL is irrelevant because your trade in decreases your tax significantly plus every state has different tax rates & fees etc. When people are talking price they are referring to negotiated price down from MSRP. Otherwise we are comparing apples to oranges rather than apples to apples u feel me bro ?

Users who are viewing this thread