5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

Rancidlunchmeat

Reaction score
I have a '13 Chevy Avalanche Limited Black Diamond perfect condition with KBB of $24,0 one offered $26,000 depending on shape when trade in for build which would be in 2-3 months. Afraid at that time, they would be like, nah, it's only worth $20,000 and then what do I do.

I'm in your situation, and here's how I look at it. I'm shopping the deals on the truck, based solely on dealer discounts because incentives and rebates are constant. I'm not mentioning my trade-in, I know what KBB says and I'm prepared for the dealer to come with a lower offer. I certainly wouldn't pick a dealer with a higher price because of a potential promise of getting a better overall deal on the trade-in. Experience tells me it's not likely to end up that way - particularly when you're going to wait on a build for 3 months and it's extremely easy for them to say the condition of your vehicle has decreased during those 3 months.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm in your situation, and here's how I look at it. I'm shopping the deals on the truck, based solely on dealer discounts because incentives and rebates are constant. I'm not mentioning my trade-in, I know what KBB says and I'm prepared for the dealer to come with a lower offer. I certainly wouldn't pick a dealer with a higher price because of a potential promise of getting a better overall deal on the trade-in. Experience tells me it's not likely to end up that way - particularly when you're going to wait on a build for 3 months and it's extremely easy for them to say the condition of your vehicle has decreased during those 3 months.

Exactly!

I am just wondering if the Invoice pricing they show is actually the invoice pricing or a made up number they program their system to print out.

Spoken to 2 dealers yesterday and neither would go below invoice price. They would not touch the holdback either. I told them that's there payment from Chrysler and their cost of doing business and this would be them moving a truck that's not even sitting on their lot a day. But neither one would cut into the whole back. I'm going to check with a few more dealers tomorrow.

My question is in trying to get them to give me a better deal by cutting into the whole doc does it matter that it's a build truck versus something sitting on their lot. they all say they don't care it's not a truck sitting on their lot and those are the ones they want to move. But then my opinion is it's a truck you don't have to pay rent on and have taking up time and space on your lot, where HB decreases the longer it stays. Why should moving a build truck motivate them to make a deal. It's not one sitting on the lot. Bit it is one towards their monthly quota or quarterly.

Any good negotiating suggestions for negotiating on a new build?

I'm doing the olding emailing v dealerships giving them the specs and asking for their best price then letting them all know what my best offer was and giving them one final chance to match or beat it before I decide. Putting final pressure on then and no back and forth nonsense That's what I did on my Avalanche and it works well.

Any suggestions to get dealer incentives on a build?

cmdr bobert

Reaction score
Exactly!

I am just wondering if the Invoice pricing they show is actually the invoice pricing or a made up number they program their system to print out.

Spoken to 2 dealers yesterday and neither would go below invoice price. They would not touch the holdback either. I told them that's there payment from Chrysler and their cost of doing business and this would be them moving a truck that's not even sitting on their lot a day. But neither one would cut into the whole back. I'm going to check with a few more dealers tomorrow.

My question is in trying to get them to give me a better deal by cutting into the whole doc does it matter that it's a build truck versus something sitting on their lot. they all say they don't care it's not a truck sitting on their lot and those are the ones they want to move. But then my opinion is it's a truck you don't have to pay rent on and have taking up time and space on your lot, where HB decreases the longer it stays. Why should moving a build truck motivate them to make a deal. It's not one sitting on the lot. Bit it is one towards their monthly quota or quarterly.

Any good negotiating suggestions for negotiating on a new build?

I'm doing the olding emailing v dealerships giving them the specs and asking for their best price then letting them all know what my best offer was and giving them one final chance to match or beat it before I decide. Putting final pressure on then and no back and forth nonsense That's what I did on my Avalanche and it works well.

Did you contact Koons in northern VA? That should give you a good idea of a good deal on your truck.

ArmyofOne

Reaction score
He got a great deal. I'm thinking he's combining incentives with a dealer discount (since he didn't list an additional dealer discount other than his $41). I'm more interested in his red sticker year end sale discount. As far as I'm aware, this is nobody's year end. Unless he got it two months ago and is just coming to tell us about it now?

Either way, great deal. Love to see some pics of @ArmyofOne truck when they get the time. Laramie sports are purtie.
I bought it 20 dec 2018. Year end clearance was only for 18 models initially but because of my repeat business and my last (****ty) experience with the paintjob on my Laramie, offered me the clearance pricing on a 19.

I also had military, friends snd family price code, customer loyalty, business owner, and a few others my sales guy was awesome at getting for me.

Pix for clicks 20190130_073508.jpg

20190129_152638.jpg

20190118_175236.jpg

20190107_090616.jpg

20190105_172811.jpg

20181220_181257.jpg

20181219_123114.jpg

20181219_010127.jpg

20181218_154204.jpg 20181218_133843.jpg

Last edited:

Rancidlunchmeat

Reaction score
Exactly!

<snip>

I think it's fair to say that invoice pricing is an imaginary number. Car salesmen will disagree and say that is actually the amount they paid for the vehicle, and I think they are correct. Dealerships do actually pay the invoice price for the vehicle. But, that is only a small snapshot of the picture. They get holdback which now everybody is also aware of, but they also get incentives on total number of vehicles sold, number of specific models sold, etc.. That's why they can sell under invoice and even under invoice and plus holdback. Because they're getting hundreds of thousands of dollars in bonuses from FCA for selling so many vehicles during whatever time period (monthly, quarterly, etc..).

The internet age has moved most dealers beyond pretending that MSRP is a real number, and they are now trying to rely on invoice. "Give us 2% over invoice so we make a little money on this deal." It's true on one hand - if that's the only vehicle they sold that month. But when that's their 500, or 5,000 vehicle sold that month they aren't just making the 2%, they're making that plus what they get for selling 500 or 5,000 vehicles.

As far as ordering a vehicle - incentives are the same, you can usually lock in the current incentives at the time of order and if they increase you can get those extra incentives between order and delivery. But, what you want are the dealer discounts on orders. Dealers are more motivated to move vehicles on their lot than on orders, as you've correctly noticed. Some high volume dealerships don't care. They move so many vehicles that they don't have many sitting on their lot that they have to pay "rent" for, so it doesn't matter if its on the lot or an order - neither is sitting long enough to cost them more money. But that's probably not true for your local dealer, they're going to give better discounts for a vehicle they already purchased that has been sitting for a few months that is now costing them money.

Rancidlunchmeat

Reaction score
I bought it 20 dec 2018. Year end clearance was only for 18 models initially but because of my repeat business and my last (****ty) experience with the paintjob on my Laramie, offered me the clearance pricing on a 19.

I also had military, friends snd family price code, customer loyalty, business owner, and a few others my sales guy was awesome at getting for me.

Pix for clicks

Great pics, nice looking truck. Nice Christmas lights as well!

Jr2121

Reaction score
What dealer and who! I would do an internet build also if he comes in that good. I am looking to build a Limted MSPR $68020 / Invoice $62,188 / REbate $1,200 NE Regional only seen on Limited). Not too happy with it, and emailing other dealers in my area to offer them to beat it. But your guys seems better.

I have a '13 Chevy Avalanche Limited Black Diamond perfect condition with KBB of $24,0 one offered $26,000 depending on shape when trade in for build which would be in 2-3 months. Afraid at that time, they would be like, nah, it's only worth $20,000 and then what do I do.
I really feel like I'm getting the run around. I asked for the sales manager because I wasn't getting answers. So they switched from giving me current rebates with a down payment, to not giving them to me, then the sales manager said "when I order they would plug all my info into the system so we could see what I would currently get. When it shows up we would do the same thing. I would get the better of the two." That was with just giving the standard 'couple hundred down at the time of order'. Does this sound correct?

Ive been dealing with Tyson motors near Chicago. They have been good on dealer discount, but a lot of resistance to telling me what I would qualify for right now. Being very general about rebates, but I don't like that.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a 2019 Ram Limited Loaded to the max. Stickers at just under $69K. Got a price of $57K + TTT. I think I am getting a great deal at $12K off MSRP. Thoughts?

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a 2019 Ram Limited Loaded to the max. Stickers at just under $69K. Got a price of $57K + TTT. I think I am getting a great deal at $12K off MSRP. Thoughts?

That's probably 5k below invoice which is probably pretty good for a LTD considering only Tradesman and Longhorns are getting rebates. How didn't get it that low? Would love the same.

Maxed out - did you get eLock and Anti-slip. Why? Those are only options I left off Bec not too certain if needed..
owith

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
There is a $2K rebate on it here. It has the e-Lock, 33 gal tank and trailer brake. This truck just happens to have them on it...I don't need them either but it sounds like a great deal. They have another that's $500 cheaper without the 33 gal tank, no trailer brake and has the limited slip rear versus the e-Lock. For another $500...the first one sounds like a better deal to me but I'll know more tomorrow when I see them both. I am looking at Billet Silver with Black Leather interior. Thinking about the Tri-Coat Pearl White but think I may like the silver better. Any thoughts on the two trucks and the colors I am looking at?

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is a $2K rebate on it here. It has the e-Lock, 33 gal tank and trailer brake. This truck just happens to have them on it...I don't need them either but it sounds like a great deal. They have another that's $500 cheaper without the 33 gal tank, no trailer brake and has the limited slip rear versus the e-Lock. For another $500...the first one sounds like a better deal to me but I'll know more tomorrow when I see them both. I am looking at Billet Silver with Black Leather interior. Thinking about the Tri-Coat Pearl White but think I may like the silver better. Any thoughts on the two trucks and the colors I am looking at?

The first deal sounds better. Trailer brake ctrl is good with the regular mirrors you keep the 360 view. Not sure what's the big deal about a 33 gallon tank everyone gets. It's not like we live in the desert. If I fill up every 14 days or 16 who cares. Black leather is the better choice. Seen posts on color bleeding issues on the ivory frost.

Where are you located? What was the $2000 rebate. All I see by me is a regional $1250

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think it's fair to say that invoice pricing is an imaginary number. Car salesmen will disagree and say that is actually the amount they paid for the vehicle, and I think they are correct. Dealerships do actually pay the invoice price for the vehicle. But, that is only a small snapshot of the picture. They get holdback which now everybody is also aware of, but they also get incentives on total number of vehicles sold, number of specific models sold, etc.. That's why they can sell under invoice and even under invoice and plus holdback. Because they're getting hundreds of thousands of dollars in bonuses from FCA for selling so many vehicles during whatever time period (monthly, quarterly, etc..).

The internet age has moved most dealers beyond pretending that MSRP is a real number, and they are now trying to rely on invoice. "Give us 2% over invoice so we make a little money on this deal." It's true on one hand - if that's the only vehicle they sold that month. But when that's their 500, or 5,000 vehicle sold that month they aren't just making the 2%, they're making that plus what they get for selling 500 or 5,000 vehicles.

As far as ordering a vehicle - incentives are the same, you can usually lock in the current incentives at the time of order and if they increase you can get those extra incentives between order and delivery. But, what you want are the dealer discounts on orders. Dealers are more motivated to move vehicles on their lot than on orders, as you've correctly noticed. Some high volume dealerships don't care. They move so many vehicles that they don't have many sitting on their lot that they have to pay "rent" for, so it doesn't matter if its on the lot or an order - neither is sitting long enough to cost them more money. But that's probably not true for your local dealer, they're going to give better discounts for a vehicle they already purchased that has been sitting for a few months that is now costing them money.
3 dealers I spoke with said you cannot lock in. One did say that I could lock into the NE Regional rebate 1250. They all said you cannot lock in but have to take whatever is available at the time of delivery. So can you lock in or are they lying?

tgtt

Reaction score
3 dealers I spoke with said you cannot lock in. One did say that I could lock into the NE Regional rebate 1250. They all said you cannot lock in but have to take whatever is available at the time of delivery. So can you lock in or are they lying?
My dealer said same initially but I put $1k down and they marked the order as sold. If rebates are better when it arrives then price could go down but it will not go up.

Sent from my BLA-A09 using Tapatalk

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My dealer said same initially but I put $1k down and they marked the order as sold. If rebates are better when it arrives then price could go down but it will not go up.

Great to know. I will suggest they don't he same if they would like close on a sale.

How many dealers do you think follow these threads?? Lol

tgtt

Reaction score
I got my window sticker with help of forum member this AM and price went up so my deal looks even better now:

MSRP: $58,215
Negotiated price: $45, 928

If the damn thing ever shows up hopefully rebates are better than in Dec so it'll drop even lower.

Users who are viewing this thread