5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

Jr2121

Reaction score
Whats been the most successful strategy on negotiating these deals?
I have talked with a dealer that has offered me what I calculate as about 7% under invoice, plus available rebates when delivered. I've built a pretty loaded Limited coming in just shy of $69K on MSRP. Invoice he showed me was about $63K. After dealer discount it came down to just north of $58K (about 15% below MSRP at this point). They said current incentives would be about $4K if I don't have a different brand pickup (which I don't). I asked if I gave a sufficient downpayment, would the honor that $4k off at minimum, or if rebates are better when it arrives, honor the better. They agreed. That would give me better than 20% on a limited if my math is correct.
Thoughts? Would you just take it? Anything you can recommend that can be negotiated at this point? Also, how do you recommend I lock it up and guarantee this price? Just ask them to send me a contract?

corlun

Reaction score
Whats been the most successful strategy on negotiating these deals?
I have talked with a dealer that has offered me what I calculate as about 7% under invoice, plus available rebates when delivered. I've built a pretty loaded Limited coming in just shy of $69K on MSRP. Invoice he showed me was about $63K. After dealer discount it came down to just north of $58K (about 15% below MSRP at this point). They said current incentives would be about $4K if I don't have a different brand pickup (which I don't). I asked if I gave a sufficient downpayment, would the honor that $4k off at minimum, or if rebates are better when it arrives, honor the better. They agreed. That would give me better than 20% on a limited if my math is correct.
Thoughts? Would you just take it? Anything you can recommend that can be negotiated at this point? Also, how do you recommend I lock it up and guarantee this price? Just ask them to send me a contract?
Take it and run. I can't get a dealer to offer me more then 8k off MSRP. 4k is a lot of incentive/rebate money on a Limited.

jfisher34

Reaction score
Take it and run. I can't get a dealer to offer me more then 8k off MSRP. 4k is a lot of incentive/rebate money on a Limited.
Agreed. Can you post the incentives? $1250 Cash is the only thing running right now. Incentive/Rebates on a Limited have sucked since November.

Jr2121

Reaction score
Agreed. Can you post the incentives? $1250 Cash is the only thing running right now. Incentive/Rebates on a Limited have sucked since November.
Dealer is out of state so I am communicating with him via email. He usually answers about 1/4 of the questions I ask him when he replies.
He was pushing me to pull the trigger, and I told him I was having a hard time agreeing to it and not knowing what my final price would be. I asked if I put a big chunk down, would they lock me in and honor something better if it was available at the time. He agreed. So I asked what the current rebates were. His response was "$5000.00 if you have a off brand light duty P-U now $4000 if not ." Thats literally all I've been able to get out of him. I feel like I'm annoying him every time I ask him a question. I get responses that are about that long at best. Its pretty irritating, but at the same time, they are offering a strong discount. I have asked what discounts are available, what are the current rebates with truck month, etc. Never get a straight answer. Its usually "what I quoted you is the best we can do", or the answer above ^^. I work in sales for a living, so maybe this stuff just irritates me more than the average Joe, but if this guy would just be responsive, answer my questions, and have a little understanding of customer service I would have likely ordered a while ago.

RamLife

Reaction score
Is the $66K price you mention straight out MSRP or are you adding on a dealer add-on (decal attached to MSRP)? Because I haven't see any Laramie's up around $66K, that seems like Limited pricing territory.
I built the Laramie with just about every option except panaramic sunroof.

pinkerton

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a limited as follows:
4x4
5’7” box
Hemi
33 gal tank
Body color bumper group
Maximum Steel Metallic (or any color)
Sunroof
MSRP = $61,165
I want to pay $48,000
No one will bite on this offer - I even have asked several dealers to simply take 23% off of any limited in inventory and no one will bite

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
4x4
5’7” box
Hemi
33 gal tank
Body color bumper group
Sunroof
MSRP = $61,165
I want to pay $48,000
No one will bite on this offer - I even have asked several dealers to simply take 23% off of any limited in inventory and no one will bite

Well realistically ~8500 is going to be about the max dealer discount you are going to see, so that’s still 53k. And there’s really no “incentives” on limiteds. So I don’t think it’s going to happen?

SouthFL

Reaction score
4x4
5’7” box
Hemi
33 gal tank
Body color bumper group
Sunroof
MSRP = $61,165
I want to pay $48,000

I'm struggling to get 23% off a well optioned Laramie down here in South FL! I can't even break %14 off MSRP. I am going to try and hold out as long as I can anyhow, as I don't like what I am reading regarding quality control on some of the 2018 builds. I definitely want a truck built in 2019. My truck will always be outside, so I can't have a leaky sunroof.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
4x4
5’7” box
Hemi
33 gal tank
Body color bumper group
Sunroof
MSRP = $61,165
I want to pay $48,000

That's going to be a good looking truck with the Max Steel and body color bumpers.

A 23% discount might be asking a bit more than any dealer is willing to do though. As I've mentioned in this thread, my dealer had an advertised price that was about 18.2% off MSRP and I bit the bullet and bought the truck. So far, I'm loving it. No issues yet. (Fingers crossed.)

Hutch8

Reaction score
4x4
5’7” box
Hemi
33 gal tank
Body color bumper group
Sunroof
MSRP = $61,165
I want to pay $48,000

I visited 3 dealers in my area. Two would not move below invoice and also had very limited inventory. The 3rd and farthest away had what I wanted and although I did not get a super deal like some that are posted here, I feel it was fair. I pulled the trigger because:
1. My truck was totaled a few weeks ago when a car hit me head-on so I needed a truck now.
2. I'm not eligible for many of the incentives listed here.
3. I am recovering from injuries and just got tired of the negotiating games...lol.

2019 Laramie Sport Crew Cab 4x4: Sticker/MSRP- $53,805 Paid- $45,429 including tax.
Sport Package
Delmonico Red
Prefer Package 25H
Level 1 Equipment Group
Anti-Spin Differential
5.7 Liter V8

My figures show 15% under msrp, which was OK for me under these circumstances. I know how to hard bargain but this scenario worked for me. One good thing is that when my engine light went on at 625 miles, the dealer diagnosed and fixed it while I waited, approximately one hour. Good service is valuable. Good luck with your quest!

Jrex

Reaction score
I just got mine on January 31st, last day of incentives and slowest month of year, so dealer were just giving them away to meet quotas for month. I live in north Florida, I shopped for it all of December and January. Some dealer are very transparent that need to move trucks on their web sites. Others only showed only the National rebate $2,750.00 off.

The dealer I bought from, the Dealer discount in December was $8,363.00, when I looked in late January, the dealer discount went up $1,200.00 + all and any rebates and incentive I qualified for.

2019 RAM 1500 LARAMIE SPORT CREW CAB 4X4

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Sport 4x4
MSRP $65,620.00
Dealer Discount (14.65%) -$9,563.00 (on floor plan)
2019 Retail Consumer Cash (CK1 ) -$2,750.00
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subtotal $53,307.00
Bonus Cash (SECKA) -$500.00
Southeast Owner Loyalty Bonus Cash(SECKU) -$500.00
2019 Retail Bonus Cash - 500.00
National Ram LD Select Inventory (39CKG)? (-$1.000.00) $0.00
-----------
Total Before Dealer fee/tax/tag/tire/battery../etc $51,807.00
Savings Off MSRP (21% ) $13,813.00

Deriggs007

Reaction score
You should be seeing around $10K off dealer discounts on limited. $8.5K is closer to longhorn/laramies. However, this does depend on region. But from my research, that appears to be the case in most regions.

Here's one in my area for example: https://www.boernedodge.com/inventory/new-2019-ram-1500-limited-4wd-crew-cab-1c6srfht1kn673621 with over 10K in dealer discount.

Even then, you're not at what you need, and would need about $4K in rebates qualified for to reach your price. $48K is a bit of a stretch on any Limited and your best bet is trying to buy end of Quarter/month on one that has been on the lot a while.

48K is about what you're getting for a decent option Laramie.

SplAgtDY

Reaction score
I bought my truck 3 weeks ago at Carson City NV. Big Horn/Lone Star, quad cab, 6.4 bed, 4x4, trailer package, 18 inch wheels, silver, (a step up from tradesman).

$44,960 MSRP
$6,250 Incentives: $3750 CA retail customer cash and $500 CA 2019 cash; $1000 National Ram cash; $1000 truck owner Conquest cash; $1000 + $200 due to using my credit union (PenFed) car buying program (basically TruCar), which also got me a point off the interest rate (2.74% for 5 years) and put me with 1 sales manager.

$4,000 Dealer discount

$34,500 PAID which included $399 dealer doc prep fee. Originally, pre-printed on the bill, $249 for dealer add on theft registration (rear window etched ID and $2500 insurance rider) which I get back after arguing about it.

I just did the KBB pricing tool Member 103 posted, the fair market range was $38842-41,319 ; invoice $41,919, MSRP $44,530. $1695 shipping is always on the window sticker , but not on bill of sales to delete. So approximately 82% of invoice, 77% of MSRP. My past experiences are an average of approximately 80% of invoice, but that was GM, this is my first MOPAR.

Jenks

Reaction score
I bought my truck 3 weeks ago at Carson City NV. Big Horn/Lone Star, quad cab, 6.4 bed, 4x4, trailer package, 18 inch wheels, silver, (a step up from tradesman).

$44,960 MSRP
$6,250 Incentives: $3750 CA retail customer cash and $500 CA 2019 cash; $1000 National Ram cash; $1000 truck owner Conquest cash; $1000 + $200 due to using my credit union (PenFed) car buying program (basically TruCar), which also got me a point off the interest rate (2.74% for 5 years) and put me with 1 sales manager.

$4,000 Dealer discount

$34,500 PAID which included $399 dealer doc prep fee. Originally, pre-printed on the bill, $249 for dealer add on theft registration (rear window etched ID and $2500 insurance rider) which I get back after arguing about it.

I just did the KBB pricing tool Member 103 posted, the fair market range was $38842-41,319 ; invoice $41,919, MSRP $44,530. $1695 shipping is always on the window sticker , but not on bill of sales to delete. So approximately 82% of invoice, 77% of MSRP. My past experiences are an average of approximately 80% of invoice, but that was GM, this is my first MOPAR.

Who was your salesman there? I have been trying get a deal from them but havn't had much luck in negotiations.

Granite5thgen

Reaction score
MSRP was 52k for my big horn sport 4x4. Got it for about 42k, I dont think that was too bad. Now to see about those free oil changes when I pick her up Monday!

pinkerton

Reaction score
How do you prove you own a ford truck? How do you prove you have a lease? How do you prove your a veteran?

I assume they run a carfax or something to match a vin to the registration name?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/