5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

possible to add power folding mirrors?

Efriday

Reaction score
Despite the window sticker verbage "Power Multi–Function Fold–Away Mirrors", my 2019 Limited Ram pickup mirrors DO NOT fold by themselves against the truck. There is a space for a button to do this, like my Tahoe, but Ram just put a plastic filler there - no actual button.

Has anyone ever added this function to the mirrors after delivery?

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Wait I’m sorry you have a Limited without tow mirrors, correct ?

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s been talked about before. You have to get the front camera. The mirrors. The image module. Each camera has a coax cable going to it. Pull also have to re route the coax from the rear camera from the screen to the image module. You’ll also need a new rear camera. Running the coax cables through the front door connectors will be fun.

You’ll need new door modules and new window switch

You’ll also then need, which is next to impossible unless you have someone high up at corporate, the sales codes added to your truck for this feature then you’ll need witech and download the config to the truck

So. Yes it can be done. How much? Who knows. Then like I said even if you were able to get all of that installed and wired and ready to go. The programming.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Despite the window sticker verbage "Power Multi–Function Fold–Away Mirrors", my 2019 Limited Ram pickup mirrors DO NOT fold by themselves against the truck. There is a space for a button to do this, like my Tahoe, but Ram just put a plastic filler there - no actual button.

If it is listed on the window sticker, and not overridden by another option, such as the trailer towing package, get RamCares involved.

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Unfortunately no confirmed option to make the tow mirrors power folding. I think the 2500 has power folding tow mirrors but haven't heard of anyone trying to swap.

There is a company that makes them for 4th gen but not sure if it would work on 5th gen. I think it costs 1,200 or so.

If you also have blind spot monitoring then it really complicates things.

Last edited:

gybob

Reaction score
I got the same nasty surprise when I got home with my new Limited , tried to get into the garage and discovered that the so called power tow mirrors are actually only semi-power. They have to be folded manually.

I've inquired to infotainment.com, plus my dealer's accessory guy will start working on it tomorrow. I'm using the VIN of a Laramie that has folding, dimming with blind spot but no 360 camera mirrors for my research. Dealer accessory guy says he's done it before. Just plug in the new parts and then they have to go back to FCA to have the sales code added to my VIN. Not at all hard to do if you can find someone who cares enough to go a little outside the box to help.

Still waiting on pricing for the new parts. 2 mirrors, 2 door modules and a switch assy. Rockauto.com has the mirrors (with color matched caps) for about $580 for the pair.

Efriday

Reaction score
I got the same nasty surprise when I got home with my new Limited , tried to get into the garage and discovered that the so called power tow mirrors are actually only semi-power. They have to be folded manually.

I've inquired to infotainment.com, plus my dealer's accessory guy will start working on it tomorrow. I'm using the VIN of a Laramie that has folding, dimming with blind spot but no 360 camera mirrors for my research. Dealer accessory guy says he's done it before. Just plug in the new parts and then they have to go back to FCA to have the sales code added to my VIN. Not at all hard to do if you can find someone who cares enough to go a little outside the box to help.

Still waiting on pricing for the new parts. 2 mirrors, 2 door modules and a switch assy. Rockauto.com has the mirrors (with color matched caps) for about $580 for the pair.
thanks for doing the research. I'm sure I will just grumble to myself for not checking out a feature before purchase.

RAM805

Reaction score
I spoke with infotainment.com on the phone and they said to submit a request online. As the requests pile up they take notice. They work with OBDgenie.com to make their kits 100% complete. So infotainment.com needs them on board also. I sent them a request as well.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Wait I’m sorry you have a Limited without tow mirrors, correct ?
Doubt it. Non trailer mirrors do have power folding. If his don't fold, then he must have the trailer/tow mirrors.

66cuda

Reaction score
As soon as you "upgrade" to the trail tow group with trailer tow mirrors that eliminates the power folder option. You can only get power folder mirrors with the "standard" mirrors.

I have the trailer tow mirrors on my truck and didn't realize they weren't power folding until I got it. I talked to the dealer and he quoted me $840 to switch back to the standard mirrors and add the switches and modules.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
As soon as you "upgrade" to the trail tow group with trailer tow mirrors that eliminates the power folder option. You can only get power folder mirrors with the "standard" mirrors.

I have the trailer tow mirrors on my truck and didn't realize they weren't power folding until I got it. I talked to the dealer and he quoted me $840 to switch back to the standard mirrors and add the switches and modules.
FCA has done a pi$$ poor job of educating consumers on what the differences are. Many people don't know that trailer tow mirrors are not power folding, or that you lose the 360 surround view cameras (if your trim supports it).

And let's be frank, both should be std equipment regardless of which mirror you choose.

gybob

Reaction score
This is my 5th new Ram since 2014. I feel like I've been totally blindsided by this absurd 2019 option packaging. I'm pretty sure that time will prove that there was a 360 degree camera system supplier issue that forced a running change to this ridiculous "tow package" in order to keep the line moving. Who in their right mind would knowingly pay $400 to eliminate the high dollar 360 camera system and folding mirrors to a $295 trailer brake controller and low tech non-folding mirrors?

I've been totally satisfied by all of my previous Ram trucks. Now I feel like FCA is saying "Gotcha! Should have paid closer attention to the fine print." I'm anxiously waiting to see if FCA will step up the the plate and perform the simple administrative action of adding the necessary sales codes to the options list for my Limited so that I can add the folding mirrors (heated, memory, blind spot indicator, turn signal and puddle light).

Last edited:

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is my 5th new Ram since 2014. I feel like I've been totally blindsided by this absurd 2019 option packaging. I'm pretty sure that time will prove that there was a 360 degree camera system supplier issue that forced a running change to this ridiculous "tow package" in order to keep the line moving. Who in their right mind would knowingly pay $400 to eliminate the high dollar 360 camera system and folding mirrors to a $295 trailer brake controller and low tech non-folding mirrors?

I've been totally satisfied by all of my previous Ram trucks. Now I feel like FCA is saying "Gotcha! Should have paid closer attention to the fine print." I'm anxiously waiting to see if FCA will step up the the plate and perform the simple administrative action of adding the necessary sales codes to the options list for my Limited so that I can add the folding mirrors (heated, memory, blind spot indicator, turn signal and puddle light).

Any luck with this?

gybob

Reaction score
I used the VIN of a Laramie that had the mirrors I want - power fold, heated, with puddle light, turn signal and blind spot indicator, to look up and order the mirrors. Now I can manually fold the driver side and get into my garage with a few inches of clearance instead of a quarter inch. Heaven! The door modules and driver side door switch will be installed by Tuesday AM. Since the sales codes for this mirror set-up do not exist as a possible option for my Limited, the next step will be interesting.

Lefman

Reaction score
Does anyone know if an older gen mirror work as a direct replacement? I don't care if it folds, heats, etc, I just want the mirror to be 1 solid piece and not any magnification parts on it, drives me crazy! I can live with the basic mirror until the 2020's come out and I trade mine in. Tx for any info! (To clarify, I want to replace my tow mirrors with basic ones.. Tx!

SoCal Truck

Reaction score

I have a limited with Standard mirrors and the button is right between the side mirror adjustments. Its in the manual as well.

gybob

Reaction score
I have a limited with Standard mirrors and the button is right between the side mirror adjustments. Its in the manual as well.
I used the VIN of a Laramie that had the mirrors I want - power fold, heated, with puddle light, turn signal and blind spot indicator, to look up and order the mirrors. Now I can manually fold the driver side and get into my garage with a few inches of clearance instead of a quarter inch. Heaven! The door modules and driver side door switch will be installed by Tuesday AM. Since the sales codes for this mirror set-up do not exist as a possible option for my Limited, the next step will be interesting.

Well... Heck. Got the new driver door switch and door modules installed. Had to re-calibrate the auto up window function.

Here's what works:
Power mirror adjust
Mirror memory
Turn signals in the mirrors
Puddle lights
Blind spot indicator

Here's what doesn't work:
POWER FOLD

Heck.

Quite a few hundred dollars into it, my truck now matches the Laramie (in regards to mirrors, modules, switch) that behaves the way I want. At least I can get in my damn garage now that I have the smaller mirrors.

I've already had discussions at the dealership with the service manager who told me that he had once before had FCA add a special sales code to allow folding, non-360 camera mirrors on a Limited. Now that I have the correct stuff installed, I'm hoping he can do that for me. Will keep you posted.

gybob

Reaction score
Well, the dust has settled. After installing the aforementioned parts, I learned the ODBGenie now has support form my vehicle. Another $369 to those folks (for the Genie and the SGW bypass) and I now have power folding mirrors! About $1300 into it altogether. I understand that Infotainment now has a like kit as well. I plan to keep after FCA to add the necessary sales codes to my VIN so that in the event of a future software update.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you know the 3-letter “option” code used by obdgenie? I’ve used autoenginuity to add/remove options in the TIPM on my old ram truck, but the 3-letter codes aren’t always intuitive. Sometimes they are like ABS or TPMS but sometimes the code doesn’t exactly give away what it represents.

Users who are viewing this thread