5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please post your Tire and Loading sticker

Lv863

Reaction score
7D8C3BCA-9B30-41FF-AAAA-A0C4DFE62B8C.jpeg new to the forum. Here’s my 2019 Laramie. Just for comparison

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dumb question but are any of you not concerned about posting the VIN number of your truck for anyone in the world to see? It’s right there in the bottom right corner of the label...

GadgetMason

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dumb question but are any of you not concerned about posting the VIN number of your truck for anyone in the world to see? It’s right there in the bottom right corner of the label...
It's available for anyone online for the dealer, if on the lot, and on every window sticker, so don't see an issue. Following

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's available for anyone online for the dealer, if on the lot, and on every window sticker, so don't see an issue. Following
From a data mining perspective, VINs and all the personal data shared on this site (location, married/single, number of kids, etc., that you see posted on here all the time) could be a gold mine for some. I see folks blurring out their licenses plates when posting online and found it odd that folks would give up their VIN so quickly simply to answer someone's online call to post their tow ratings.

Also, for a litigation perspective, match the VIN with someone who has installed something on their truck which becomes a warranty denied issue could become a source of discovery for FCA if being sued for denying a warranty claim.

1ramrunner

Reaction score
After reading through the threads and trying to guess what I would want/need, I do have a question.
ORG does add weight, but it also adds better suspension. Wouldn't it add to the payload?
Jim

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
After reading through the threads and trying to guess what I would want/need, I do have a question.
ORG does add weight, but it also adds better suspension. Wouldn't it add to the payload?
Jim
Every single RAM TRUCK starts with a GVWR.

6900 for 2wd and 7100 for 4wd. (Diesel is 7200)

Payload is GVWR minus base weight.

So, the ORP Has a better suspension set up for off road. But the package has weight to it.

The better off road suspension does not have anything to do with payload.

The weight of the components add to base weight...lowering available payload.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ouch... sheds a single tear
That is actually pretty good for the loaded up Rebel you have.

I want a REBEL so Bad...but when we hook up for camping I have 2400lbs of payload in my truck...still have almost 600 left over...so it just can not work for me.

But if I find a deal...our Cherokee is gonna become a REBEL and then 1100 to 1600 will be ok

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Every single RAM TRUCK starts with a GVWR.

6900 for 2wd and 7100 for 4wd. (Diesel is 7200)

Payload is GVWR minus base weight.

So, the ORP Has a better suspension set up for off road. But the package has weight to it.

The better off road suspension does not have anything to do with payload.

The weight of the components add to base weight...lowering available payload.
So your answer is true, but it causes me to wonder. What is the actual limiting factor in Payload? Meaning, what is the weakest link in that chain, and would improving that weak link allow one to recover some payload? For instance, if it it dictated by spring capacity, could you use stronger springs? If it is something like a mounting plate, or bolt strength, could that be upgraded? Is it the frame? Just curious now...:unsure:

Edit: Also wondering now, does unsprung weight affect payload? Do heavier tires and wheels lower your payload?

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Jim

ORG reduces payload. The weight of all those extra skid plates add up.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Edit: Also wondering now, does unsprung weight affect payload? Do heavier tires and wheels lower your payload?

Theoretically, no. But technically, yes.
If they weigh the truck it's the entire truck, not just the weight on the suspension mounting points.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Theoretically, no. But technically, yes.
If they weigh the truck it's the entire truck, not just the weight on the suspension mounting points.

Yeh, I get the total weight thing. I feel like that's a generic catch-all (kind of like putting an expiration date on bottled water -manufacturers have to set some sort of limits for safety). What I'm wondering about the real reason Payload is held at a specific value. I'm not saying that functional payload is much more than what is published, but I do feel like there are things that could be taken into consideration to intelligently increase payload without sacrificing safety. Maybe I'm wrong, since I don't see an obvious answer, but that's just how my mind works ;)

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeh, I get the total weight thing. I feel like that's a generic catch-all (kind of like putting an expiration date on bottled water -manufacturers have to set some sort of limits for safety). What I'm wondering about the real reason Payload is held at a specific value. I'm not saying that functional payload is much more than what is published, but I do feel like there are things that could be taken into consideration to intelligently increase payload without sacrificing safety. Maybe I'm wrong, since I don't see an obvious answer, but that's just how my mind works ;)
It's hard to know, for sure, what the limiting factor is because the manufacturer holds that information and will never let it go.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score

The factory tires aren’t a limiting factor.

My factory 22’s have a combined load rating of 5,202 lbs per axle, well above the F/R 3,900/4,100 lbs GAWR

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes. Heavier or lighter wheels will lower or increase payload.

GVWR is the weight the truck can turn, stop, accelerate and do aggressive maneuvers.

Doing anything to increase payload does not increase this

Only thing that increases payload is taking weight from the truck.

You need more than 7100 GVWR you go to a 2500 at 10k. You need more than 10k GVWR you go to a SRW 3500 at 12k. You need more a 3500 DRW at 14k. More than that a 4500 or 5500.

Yes. You can overload your truck. Yes you can tow these stupid large campers. But you have decreased your turning stopping and acceleration and need to plan accordingly.

They made these 1500 trucks so capable. They are heavy though with all the damn options people want. You can not have your cake and eat it too.

Even the 2500 Limited and Laramie suffer the same fate.

@HemiDude there is no weak link that can be replaced. It is the sum of all the parts. The weak link is that it is a 1500 and therefore limited by that.

It is not the engine. It is not the transmission. It is not the axles. It is not the coil springs. It is the brakes and bolt pattern mainly.

Look at what got the 5th Gen from the 4th Gena 6900 GVWR. The 6th lug nut and bigger brakes got it the 7100 GVWR.

Payload can only be increased by making the truck lighter. Band aids like air bags and higher rated tires only allow you to do unsafe things a bit safer or the safe things safer.

Users who are viewing this thread