5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please post your Tire and Loading sticker

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yes. Heavier or lighter wheels will lower or increase payload.

GVWR is the weight the truck can turn, stop, accelerate and do aggressive maneuvers.

Doing anything to increase payload does not increase this

Only thing that increases payload is taking weight from the truck.

You need more than 7100 GVWR you go to a 2500 at 10k. You need more than 10k GVWR you go to a SRW 3500 at 12k. You need more a 3500 DRW at 14k. More than that a 4500 or 5500.

Yes. You can overload your truck. Yes you can tow these stupid large campers. But you have decreased your turning stopping and acceleration and need to plan accordingly.

They made these 1500 trucks so capable. They are heavy though with all the damn options people want. You can not have your cake and eat it too.

Even the 2500 Limited and Laramie suffer the same fate.

@HemiDude there is no weak link that can be replaced. It is the sum of all the parts. The weak link is that it is a 1500 and therefore limited by that.

It is not the engine. It is not the transmission. It is not the axles. It is not the coil springs. It is the brakes and bolt pattern mainly.

Look at what got the 5th Gen from the 4th Gena 6900 GVWR. The 6th lug nut and bigger brakes got it the 7100 GVWR.

Payload can only be increased by making the truck lighter. Band aids like air bags and higher rated tires only allow you to do unsafe things a bit safer or the safe things safer.
Good explanation, devildodge, thanks. In contemplating only payload I didn't consider all of the math in the equation.

GTLimited

Reaction score
My truck finally has a window sticker so I tried the VIN lookup. I'm pleasantly surprised with the numbers. Fairly loaded BH ... but I figure the lack of leather, pano sunroof, and 12" screen help despite the 33gal tank and other bells and whistles.

1,615 lbs.

Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 12.15.28 PM.png

Joecameron69

Reaction score
2020 Ram 1500 Bighorn, 4x4, 5.7 Etorque, 3.92, Crewcab

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200910-162942_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20200910-162942_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 139
  • 20200913_155917.jpg
    20200913_155917.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 138

M2k

Reaction score
Payload in my signature 1,867 lbs

2021 Big Horn Quad 5.7 non-etorque 4x4

Level 2, center console (soon to be swapped for bench), trailer tow tech package, 20” “premium” chrome wheels, front and rear mopar rubber mats.

Did I win the 1500 class?

blakei

Reaction score
That's an amazingly high payload! My truck is 1781 payload... but after putting on running boards, tonneau, under seat storage, and I don't know what else... with me in it, it weights 5700lbs. So my effective payload is really closer to 1400 (7100-5700).

I'm a perpetual "gonna upgrade" guy... don't want to spend the $$ for the 2500, but I've looked at them on the lot. For an eye-opening example of how the 2500 would be more capable, just check out the rear suspension arms. They're about twice as big on the 2500 as the 1500. The entire thing is bigger and all the components I could see are thicker.

One day, maybe...

Reactions: M2k

M2k

Reaction score
Well the trailer steering works! I guess it calibrated itself while I’ve been towing. Takes some getting used too it’s weird watching the steering wheel spin around on its own lol

I still do a better job the old fashioned way it doesn’t want to turn enough if that makes sense. Maybe because it’s a 5er

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
First post... but I've been lurking as I work on swapping from an F150 to a Ram. I'm active on a few of those forums, hope to have a reason to contribute here more in the near future.

The journey has raised some payload concerns, as the way things are I'll have to order mine, and won't know the payload sticker until it arrives.

Therefore, I've gone through most of this thread and other nooks of the internet and put together the attached spreadsheet.
It starts with the base weights on a 4x4 Crew Cab Tradesman 5.5 V6, and then you add the options you have/want in yellow. Weights are direct form Ram for 21 MY.

I've taken the option/package weights from this forum, but there are a few I'm dubious about (e.g. I'm skeptical the MF Tailgate is 75lbs beyond a standard tailgate?), so feel free to change weights as you see fit. Man, it adds up quick!

However, I have audited this against a pretty fair sample of the reports & stickers in this thread, and for the common packages it seems to be dang accurate, always in the ballpark +/- 100lbs. Those results are in the Green section.

Since half tons are always payload-limited (vs Tow Rating or GCWR limited) whenever there is more than just a driver & a Snickers bar onboard, I've also put in a "Real World" tow limit at the bottom. Just plug in your tongue weight (10% min, 13%-15% ideally) plus cargo & passengers, and you'll see what you can do before invoking the ire of the Payload Police.

Now it means I have to decide what to cut back on. My F150 has every creature comfort and still near 1,700 lbs payload (and it rides like ****e unloaded as a result). But that's all it had over the Ram, I am looking forward to literally everything else the Ram does better!

Enjoy.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
First post... but I've been lurking as I work on swapping from an F150 to a Ram. I'm active on a few of those forums, hope to have a reason to contribute here more in the near future.

The journey has raised some payload concerns, as the way things are I'll have to order mine, and won't know the payload sticker until it arrives.

Therefore, I've gone through most of this thread and other nooks of the internet and put together the attached spreadsheet.
It starts with the base weights on a 4x4 Crew Cab Tradesman 5.5 V6, and then you add the options you have/want in yellow. Weights are direct form Ram for 21 MY.

I've taken the option/package weights from this forum, but there are a few I'm dubious about (e.g. I'm skeptical the MF Tailgate is 75lbs beyond a standard tailgate?), so feel free to change weights as you see fit. Man, it adds up quick!

However, I have audited this against a pretty fair sample of the reports & stickers in this thread, and for the common packages it seems to be dang accurate, always in the ballpark +/- 100lbs. Those results are in the Green section.

Since half tons are always payload-limited (vs Tow Rating or GCWR limited) whenever there is more than just a driver & a Snickers bar onboard, I've also put in a "Real World" tow limit at the bottom. Just plug in your tongue weight (10% min, 13%-15% ideally) plus cargo & passengers, and you'll see what you can do before invoking the ire of the Payload Police.

Now it means I have to decide what to cut back on. My F150 has every creature comfort and still near 1,700 lbs payload (and it rides like ****e unloaded as a result). But that's all it had over the Ram, I am looking forward to literally everything else the Ram does better!

Enjoy.
This is great. I trust you've found these numbers from reliable sources, but am puzzled why the 33 gallon tank would be 75# more than the 26 gallon. Is there ten pounds of metal for each additional gallon? Or is that extra 75# if it's full of gas/fuel?

I've heard that additional structural bracing accounts for the MFT increased weight.

You don't happen to have the base weight for the crew cab/5'7" bed limited do you?

GadgetMason

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is great. I trust you've found these numbers from reliable sources, but am puzzled why the 33 gallon tank would be 75# more than the 26 gallon. Is there ten pounds of metal for each additional gallon? Or is that extra 75# if it's full of gas/fuel?

I've heard that additional structural bracing accounts for the MFT increased weight.

You don't happen to have the base weight for the crew cab/5'7" bed limited do you?
6.3#/gal * 7 gal = 44.1# of fuel. 30 extra lbs for the tank would make 75# about right filled.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Enjoy.

You need to remove the 5.7L weight from your calculation. The advertised payload of 1,860 lbs on a 5’7” CC 4x4 already includes the Hemi weight penalty

A1B3C1A9-A5E8-4796-A318-23F954F30162.png

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, I found a truck optioned almost the exact same as mine and plugged the VIN into the "Lookup my vehicle" link on the Ram website. The payload showed as 1242#. This truck had the sunroof and cold weather package, which mine will not have, so I'm thinking I'll be pretty close to my 1300# minimum goal on payload. Am I thinking correctly?

nbase

Reaction score
Somehow my tire and loading sticker was ripped off either from the factory or at the dealer, I didn't notice it when I picked it up. Ram customer care and the dealer are both useless, going on 4 months now and I'm still "waiting for the dealer" to figure out how to get a replacement. Crazy. So all I have to go by is the numbers on the website.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Somehow my tire and loading sticker was ripped off either from the factory or at the dealer, I didn't notice it when I picked it up. Ram customer care and the dealer are both useless, going on 4 months now and I'm still "waiting for the dealer" to figure out how to get a replacement. Crazy. So all I have to go by is the numbers on the website.
You can get exact numbers for your specific truck by looking up your vehicle by VIN here.

This could also be helpful when shopping around online; just grab the VIN from the dealer site and plug it in.

Lastly, if you’ve ordered, a few days after your window sticker is available, you should be able to lookup its payload. This won’t help before it’s built, or when deciding what to order, but it might satisfy some curiosity while you wait for delivery.

GadgetMason

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can get exact numbers for your specific truck by looking up your vehicle by VIN here.

This could also be helpful when shopping around online; just grab the VIN from the dealer site and plug it in.

Lastly, if you’ve ordered, a few days after your window sticker is available, you should be able to lookup its payload. This won’t help before it’s built, or when deciding what to order, but it might satisfy some curiosity while you wait for delivery.
MAX PAYLOAD
958.41LBS
MAX TOWING
10858.41LBS
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤪🤬
On the bright side, my Hummer H1 could only tow 9k# 🤨

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
MAX PAYLOAD
958.41LBS
MAX TOWING
10858.41LBS
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤪🤬
I’m all of 167 pounds above you. My Laramie had a payload of nearly 1700. I knew the Longhorn would be lower, but I didn’t fully comprehend how much lower.

I didn’t get the MFT or Rambox, but I did get the off-road group. That, the sunroof, and the 33 gallon tank are what hurt my payload the most.

Most of the time, it won’t be an issue. But on road trips when I’m taking the rooftop tent, a powered cooler we just bought, our “stuff”, a Front Runner rack, and a Retrax cover, we might be pushing it.

I considered a Power Wagon, but similarly equipped, it actually has a payload about 100 pounds lower (a regular 2500 would be much higher, no doubt.)

I’ve got no right to complain, of course. We’ve got luxury cars with a cargo box out back. Incredible machines, which we’ve loaded up with goodies and that doesn’t come without compromises.

GadgetMason

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m all of 167 pounds above you. My Laramie had a payload of nearly 1700. I knew the Longhorn would be lower, but I didn’t fully comprehend how much lower.

I didn’t get the MFT or Rambox, but I did get the off-road group. That, the sunroof, and the 33 gallon tank are what hurt my payload the most.

Most of the time, it won’t be an issue. But on road trips when I’m taking the rooftop tent, a powered cooler we just bought, our “stuff”, a Front Runner rack, and a Retrax cover, we might be pushing it.

I considered a Power Wagon, but similarly equipped, it actually has a payload about 100 pounds lower (a regular 2500 would be much higher, no doubt.)

I’ve got no right to complain, of course. We’ve got luxury cars with a cargo box out back. Incredible machines, which we’ve loaded up with goodies and that doesn’t come without compromises.
Truth... This will be my daily driver and my first new vehicle in 54 years... I wanted everything. I'll just have to throw passengers in the trailer 🤣🤣🤣

nandalora

Reaction score
Air suspension weighs a lot but I love it.

66905064eb56bffd68eb0000a9df6eda.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread