5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please post your Tire and Loading sticker

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
@BostonBlueRam

Go here.
Scroll to bottom
Click on Look Up My Vehicle.
Enter VIN on next page
Ahh ok, I started using that a few days ago - noticed its actually ACCURATE! I thought you might have been referring to something else when you were thanking a forum member Dawn for a calculator.. Thanks!

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ahh ok, I started using that a few days ago - noticed its actually ACCURATE! I thought you might have been referring to something else when you were thanking a forum member Dawn for a calculator.. Thanks!
Nope. She got them to make it more accurate. But you still have to understand for complete accuracy you need a VIN.

If you use just the configurator. It is better...but still only represents the cab bed engine and drivetrain for weights. They did try to get away from using the base tradesman weights for all trims and now seem to use a base weight for each trim.

For instance a base limited will have about 1300lbs payload. But an optioned one can have right at 900.

So if not using a VIN you need to still remember all options add weight.

Also you have to understand the towing. They are giving no allowances for driver and hitch and tongue weight.

It is just GCWR minus base weight.

So that number...that is usually about 11k...is you, your cargo, your passengers, hitch, tongue weight and trailer.

Which means if you have a family of 4...that number is gonna come down quick towards 7 to 8k. And if you have a camper the number comes down even more because a camper has a much heavier tongue weight than a boat or a car trailer.

Kstrayer

Reaction score
Does Ram curb weight include a full tank of gas, or do I need to subtract that from the payload? Thanks!

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does Ram curb weight include a full tank of gas, or do I need to subtract that from the payload? Thanks!
Full fluids(oil, fuel, coolant, def if equipped) are included in the curb weight as well as any FACTORY installed options. Dealer or your addons will add to your curb weight and reduce your payload.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

DanRam

Reaction score
Can the CAT scales be wrong? My payload per the sticker (below) is 1434 lbs. I weighed the truck by itself, with full gas tank and the add on side steps and rear wheel liners while I was out of the truck and off the scale, and it came back at 5640lbs.

If I subtract 5640 from the GVWR of 7100lbs it equals 1460lbs. It's only 26lbs over the sticker payload but with the running boards I expected the truck to be heavier than that. I figured payload would be a little closer to 1375 but 1460 would be great since I plan to get a travel trailer and every payload pound will help.

Attachments

• aqtX2OxuRyuTKzubdMbDPg_thumb_68f2.jpg
    aqtX2OxuRyuTKzubdMbDPg_thumb_68f2.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 80
  • k66BkQ8JTdGQc3lRbyvL1g_thumb_68f1.jpg
    k66BkQ8JTdGQc3lRbyvL1g_thumb_68f1.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 78
  • cat-scale-base-weight.jpg
    cat-scale-base-weight.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
CAT Scales have a 20# per section resolution, so I could guess they are between +/- 20 and +/-40# accurate PER SECTION for the weights we are talking.

DanRam

Reaction score
Guess you'r right CJ7, I'll chock it up to accuracy & resolution.

LeeVanCleef

Reaction score
My '16 Laramie Ecodiesel with Ramboxes has a ridiculous 943lb payload. I'm considering upgrading to a '21 Ecodiesel and want to make sure I don't short change myself this time around.

Anyone want to guess a payload for the following options?

'21 Crew cab 6'4" bed
4x4
Ecodiesel
5 passenger
Laramie Level 1
Off-Road Group
18" Wheels
BUG
Cold Weather
Trailer brake (not the full tow package)

Any idea on weight penalty for the MFT? That is one option that is supper appealing, but being as it's pretty new and unproven, I am hesitant. I'll also be putting a canopy/topper on the bed and worried about dust and water intrusion. On the other hand, it would make accessing the bed SO much easier.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My guess: 1450.

The MFT is something like 75# more than the standard, but after using it for almost a year, I wouldn’t buy this truck without it.

mattoest

Reaction score
My truck was just built Monday, so I don't have a picture of the sticker yet, but the website shows 1346lb payload. Here are the full options:

RAM 1500 LARAMIE CREW CAB 4X4
  • Trailer–Tow Group
  • Advanced Safety Group
  • Night Edition
  • Off–Road Group
  • Laramie Level 2 Equipment Group (8.4 uconnect, not 12)
  • Tri–Fold Tonneau Cover
  • 3.92 Rear Axle Ratio
  • 5.7L V8 HEMI® MDS VVT eTorque Engine
  • Black Power–Fold Trailer–Tow Mirrors
  • Power Running–Boards
  • 26–Gallon Fuel Tank
  • 4–Corner Air–Suspension

1607543568128.png

Daniel

Reaction score
My '16 Laramie Ecodiesel with Ramboxes has a ridiculous 943lb payload. I'm considering upgrading to a '21 Ecodiesel and want to make sure I don't short change myself this time around.

Anyone want to guess a payload for the following options?

'21 Crew cab 6'4" bed
4x4
Ecodiesel
5 passenger
Laramie Level 1
Off-Road Group
18" Wheels
BUG
Cold Weather
Trailer brake (not the full tow package)

Any idea on weight penalty for the MFT? That is one option that is supper appealing, but being as it's pretty new and unproven, I am hesitant. I'll also be putting a canopy/topper on the bed and worried about dust and water intrusion. On the other hand, it would make accessing the bed SO much easier.
Scrap the diesel, off road group Laramie go with big horn like mine here's my sticker

Attachments

• Payload sticker.jpg
    Payload sticker.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 109

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If anyone here really thinks a big horn whatever model can carry more than a Laramie whatever model your crazy. Put some LT tires on whichever truck and move along. I’ve owned both models and there is zero reasoning behind those stickers in the door jambs. What? Some fender flares, a few more pieces of plastic switches or modules and leather seat covers suddenly drops your payload 500 lbs.....c’mon man!

Last edited:

MeyerzRam

Reaction score
Looking at my new 22" tires, the side walls are 45 series and has a big impact on the payload. Might need to increase the side wall to increase this a few hundred pounds.

These are 114H vs. the 18' tires are 116. I think that is where the extra payload is derived from as well as maybe less options. Same rear axle weight ratio at 4100lbs.

Last edited:

MeyerzRam

Reaction score
a9a9b6aec9e23024e66843194dec9e4d.jpg

9892a7755bbdaa53a9fd2f66a6ab6b5a.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread