5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please post your Tire and Loading sticker

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You put 2 ton of rock in a 5'7 bed...that is impressive in itself.

But you also answered why the ratings are underrated...changing lanes at 55 mph, people think they have to go 75 everywhere and you didn't mention any downward slopes.

It is also interesting how some can not get air suspension to level 800 to 1000lb tongue weight...but it leveled up 3000 more pounds.

We will never know how much they underrate them thanks to how the world works.

But it seems like you got one of the best experiences so far.

Awesome.

But I will still keep my 2500...love the 8 foot bed.

The rock was heaped above the bed line and I couldn't open the tailgate until we got about 12 wheelbarrow loads out of the back... The route was almost flat back to the house. I am very impressed with this truck and now owning my 5th Dodge/Ram Truck has made me a lifer...

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They really are impressive. Why there is alot of change in the truck world now that they have got some people to take a look.

But, I will stop there before I get called a cheerleader.

I am anxious to overload my 2015. I had the 2013 well above 10000 GVWR and my 99 was well above the 8800 GVWR most of the time, and they never flinched...but I take my time and drive prepared...some people in the truck world, not so much.

I got to cut firewood. Not sure how crazy I will get this week...but soon I plan to load up and head out offroad.

d_THRILL

Reaction score
The Payload is way under rated. **Real World update** I put 4020 lbs of payload (Scale measured) in my truck this weekend and the rear end felt a bit mushy but the air suspension brought it to level and it stayed there for the 5 miles back to the house with obsidian black rock in the bed and the only thing that felt slightly different besides the tiny bit of bounce was changing lanes at 55MPH.

4020Lbs VS. 1345Lbs door sticker.... Just saying that they really under rated these 1500 trucks most likely to sell HD trucks.

surely you have pics to share with us....

DraKhen99

Reaction score
There were night time Beers next to the fire last evening. And a little bit of work on the benches also.

Nice job! I was curious as to how you got 25lbs more payload than my truck (I have 1,320lbs according to the yellow and red sticker), but then realized you have the Advanced Safety Group and I have the Level 1 group. I'll double-check what all is in Level 1.

I'm also glad to hear the air suspension can take a little bit more than what the rating says, since I am used to my 2015 F-150, which had a payload capacity of 1,575lbs and regularly handled 14-1600lbs of people and stuff.

Thanks,

-John

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice job! I was curious as to how you got 25lbs more payload than my truck (I have 1,320lbs according to the yellow and red sticker), but then realized you have the Advanced Safety Group and I have the Level 1 group. I'll double-check what all is in Level 1.

I'm also glad to hear the air suspension can take a little bit more than what the rating says, since I am used to my 2015 F-150, which had a payload capacity of 1,575lbs and regularly handled 14-1600lbs of people and stuff.

Thanks,

-John
The level 1 has the ventilated rear seats added and the 19 speaker HK system vs the 9 speaker Alpine.

thcmas35

Tracking order
Tracking order
Reaction score
Wow we have almost identical builds, except mine has rambox reducing my payload capacity by an additional 244 lbs!. I can tell you. That I have had 50 bags of wet mulch on a pallet in mine that had to put me over and truck with air suspension handled it with ease.

bandit

Reaction score
Wow we have almost identical builds, except mine has rambox reducing my payload capacity by an additional 244 lbs!. I can tell you. That I have had 50 bags of wet mulch on a pallet in mine that had to put me over and truck with air suspension handled it with ease.

That's good to know! I tend to be more concerned with the axle rating than the payload rating, but I do my darnedest to stay in spec. I skipped the Ram Boxes for the weight and because I'm putting a Leer cap on it (see intro thread).

thcmas35

Tracking order
Tracking order
Reaction score
Looks like I also have off road pkg, so getting additional weight penalty from skid plates, etc

DraKhen99

Reaction score
Wow, RAM Boxes weight over 200lbs??? Dang! Is there a Fleet Order Guide that shows the weight of options? I know on the Ford web site there was a way to get ahold of one. One could go in and build their truck using the FOG and get at least close to what their actual payload would be.

I'm glad I didn't get the RAM Boxes then, because at 1,320lbs of payload, I sure didn't want to be going much lower.

-John

pgienger

Reaction score
Wow, RAM Boxes weight over 200lbs??? Dang!

snipped your quote... per the math on page 6 of this thread, again snipped his quote:

Limited trim - 166lbs
Bed utility group - 25
Level 1 - 86
Advanced safety group - 50
Sunroof - 70
Anti spin - 16
eLocker - 16
3.92 Axle ratio - 0
eTorque - 80
Brake controller - 0 (not full tow package)
Body colored bumpers - 0
22" wheels - 0 (vs 20" standard wheels)
33 gallon fuel tank - 73 (91 if eTorque equipped)
Offroad Group - 119 (minus eLocker)
Ramboxes - 163

DraKhen99

Reaction score
I read the PDF he posted a couple of days ago, and it lists -5lbs for the front axle and 125lbs for the rear axle, so 120lbs overall, if I'm reading it right.

Weird, but even with ballpark weights, I'm glad I didn't get them. 1200lbs of payload is too low for what I use my truck for. 1320, where I'm at now, is acceptable and I may end up using my trailer more.

-John

pgienger

Reaction score
I read the PDF he posted a couple of days ago, and it lists -5lbs for the front axle and 125lbs for the rear axle, so 120lbs overall, if I'm reading it right.

Weird, but even with ballpark weights, I'm glad I didn't get them. 1200lbs of payload is too low for what I use my truck for. 1320, where I'm at now, is acceptable and I may end up using my trailer more.

-John

That PDF is old... many of the trim levels and build options aren't current names and such. For example, there is no Limited and/or a 12" screen.

I'm kindof in the same boat as you for payload, but ramboxes are a must-have. Had we checked all the boxes it would have been pretty close to sub 1000!!! I also added spray-in bed liner and side steps aftermarket, but with a new limited it's all "on the sticker." So you compare our just-sold 2011 with 1230lbs and a new limited at ~1300, and it's actually way better on the new one. Still going to be packing light in the bed and heavy in the camper ;)

DraKhen99

Reaction score
That PDF is old... many of the trim levels and build options aren't current names and such. For example, there is no Limited and/or a 12" screen.

I'm kindof in the same boat as you for payload, but ramboxes are a must-have. Had we checked all the boxes it would have been pretty close to sub 1000!!! I also added spray-in bed liner and side steps aftermarket, but with a new limited it's all "on the sticker." So you compare our just-sold 2011 with 1230lbs and a new limited at ~1300, and it's actually way better on the new one. Still going to be packing light in the bed and heavy in the camper ;)

OK, that makes more sense - I *thought* "Laramie Limited" was an older trim level.

Does anyone have the current document? I know with Ford, there was a Fleet Order Guide, which listed the base weights of cab/bed/engine/powertrain and the weight for each option. I love geeking out about this kind of thing, and planning my next truck at the same time LOL.

-John

Users who are viewing this thread