5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Filter Location! UGH!

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Other oil filter relocate solutions people are aware of that do not require drilling? $235 is pretty steep for the one earlier in this thread.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Opening up yourself to potential warranty denial and increased avenues for mechanical failures (hoses and clamps that could leak or fail) while not even sure how it effects oil capacities and pressures within the engine with these relocation systems seems like a high price to pay for something that is so easy to do with a couple of zip lock bags once or twice a year.

I rate my RAM oil change about as easy and clean as any other vehicle I've owned. This seems like overkill for such a minor issue that is easily overcome by a couple of plastic bags. I may have to make a DIY video to show how I literally don't spill a single drop doing my oil changes.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
A lot of us would find that helpful.

I think so, I made a thread and numerous post detailing how easy the procedure is. But sometimes you have to see it. I'm not due for a while, but I will make one as soon as the opportunity comes.

The bag method works if you use two bags. One to catch the initial oil after you loosen the filter, then the 2nd bag to finish removing the filter. It's honestly such an effective method, I've starting using it on my other vehicles because its just so clean.

DennisY

Reaction score
If I waited an hour for an oil change I would be complaining...
Sounds like you are going to the wrong place or not making your expectations clear for when you set up an appointment.

Went to the dealer from which I bought the truck. Not very happy with their service center so far. My expectations were made perfectly clear when the guy told me it would be several hours before they could change the oil. This in their so-called express area. I may give them one more chance, and if I get the same type of result, I will call the GM at the dealer and express my frustration.

DennisY

Reaction score
3rd oil change last night - 3rd time I got oil on me even with the plastic bag trick because of that damn filter location :mad:
RAM must have spent months figuring out the worst possible place to put an oil filter. And that is saying something because I've seen many bad ones.

DennisY

Reaction score
Opening up yourself to potential warranty denial and increased avenues for mechanical failures (hoses and clamps that could leak or fail) while not even sure how it effects oil capacities and pressures within the engine with these relocation systems seems like a high price to pay for something that is so easy to do with a couple of zip lock bags once or twice a year.

I rate my RAM oil change about as easy and clean as any other vehicle I've owned. This seems like overkill for such a minor issue that is easily overcome by a couple of plastic bags. I may have to make a DIY video to show how I literally don't spill a single drop doing my oil changes.
Please do. I tried the bag thing and made one heckuva a huge mess. I was not happy at all.

Ramtrx

Reaction score
I still don’t understand the issue with location of oil filter. I do my oil in 15 min. Even with clean up. It’s not that big of a deal to wipe off where the oil drips. I didn’t even get anything on my hand. If the oil gets into your finger nails tough snot. Sorry, I drank a little too much.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Please do. I tried the bag thing and made one heckuva a huge mess. I was not happy at all.

Will try to do soon, as mentioned, it should be the two bag method. One to catch the initial oil the 2nd to finish removing the oil filter.

HAL9001

Reaction score
I'm willing to try out the Oil Udder as an experiment. I'll report back here and on Amazon as to how well it works as a totally unbiased opinion. It'll be a while before I change the oil though, working from home now I don't drive as much as I used to and I just purchased my RAM so it'll be a few months.

I'm an avid DIYer and would never let a dealer or especially an oil change shop like Jiffy Lube change my oil. Who knows what oil they actually use despite what they say, they often buy the oil in drums. And they often tend to overfill which is very messy to correct. When I do it for myself, I know for certain it's done right with premium oil and an excellent filter (I use Mobil 1 filters). I also allow for an extended drain time to ensure all the old dirty oil is removed. The dealer would never do that, they get vehicles in and out of their shops as fast as possible. Who knows how much old oil they allow to drain.

Oil changes are the most important maintenance on any vehicle. I use Amsoil which is overkill, but it gives me peace of mind. I think using a premium grade oil is well worth protecting a very expensive engine. I routinely keep my vehicles until 150,000 miles or more and I've never had engine problems when using premium oil and doing my own oil changes.

Last edited:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I still don’t understand the issue with location of oil filter. I do my oil in 15 min. Even with clean up. It’s not that big of a deal to wipe off where the oil drips. I didn’t even get anything on my hand. If the oil gets into your finger nails tough snot. Sorry, I drank a little too much.
Is your truck 2WD? Seriously, you think anyone is concerned about oil under their finger nails? Have another beer LOL

Zig10

Reaction score
I'm willing to try out the Oil Udder as an experiment. I'll report back here and on Amazon as to how well it works as a totally unbiased opinion. It'll be a while before I change the oil though, working from home now I don't drive as much as I used to and I just purchased my RAM so it'll be a few months.

I'm an avid DIYer and would never let a dealer or especially an oil change shop like Jiffy Lube change my oil. Who knows what oil they actually use despite what they say, they often buy the oil in drums. And they often tend to overfill which is very messy to correct. When I do it for myself, I know for certain it's done right with premium oil and an excellent filter (I use Mobil 1 filters). I also allow for an extended drain time to ensure all the old dirty oil is removed. The dealer would never do that, they get vehicles in and out of their shops as fast as possible. Who knows how much old oil they allow to drain.

Oil changes are the most important maintenance on any vehicle. I use Amsoil which is overkill, but it gives me peace of mind. I think using a premium grade oil is well worth protecting a very expensive engine. I routinely keep my vehicles until 150,000 miles or more and I've never had engine problems when using premium oil and doing my own oil changes.
I have an older oil udder (original) and while I did get it to work I am not sure it is any better than the two-bag method would be. It barely fits into the space above the steering box so it's rough to get it out without dumping some of it. Granted, it was better than nothing, but still not optimal.

Honestly, in this day and age I don't see why manufacturers haven't just gone to the element-type filters for all engines. I had them on my '15 Cherokee, all of my CTSs, and my '17 Canyon, and it really makes the whole job a snap. While I realize that is only two different engines among those vehicles, there is no reason it couldn't be adapted to others.

G5RAM

Reaction score
If one plans on keeping their Ram for awhile, it is definately worth the cost to install an oil filter relocation kit; so much easier, and NO mess!
Can you tell me if the part # HP10363 from PACBRAKE is correct?

river rat

Reaction score
The most frustrating part is that FCA knows its a problem, case in point, there is a factory "oil ramp" under the filter on the SRT Jeep that allows the fluid to not spill all over. Why they just don't make the design standard across the board is just lazy.

oil_filter_ramp.JPG

G5RAM

Reaction score
Here is a link to Pacbrake oil filter relocation kit (HP10363) just order it yesterday.
I used a coupon for $20. NEW20
Also going to try larger filter w/relocation kit. AMSOIL #EA017 4.45" high instead of 3.4"(EA15K50).
Will up date later.

Lit_AF

Hardware Geek - Pro Detailer
Reaction score
Don't think I've ever seen a V8 with a canister style filter. I think the Hemi would need a redesign to go to that style.

On my 2012 Town & Country I could do an oil changes completely from under the hood. Oil filter up top and oil extractor down the dipstick tube.
Mustangs had it, they quickly realized how of a big mistake it was plus it was in a obnoxious spot x2 the pain compared to the Ram o_O

ldoh

Reaction score
Those reviews were the reason we got ahold of a RAM to try it ourselves. There are also a few reviews saying it worked great so we wanted to see what the disconnect was.

What we found is that there is a column of oil that doesn't come out until the filter is unscrewed all the way and clears the threads. So it appears like it's working great until it is all the way unscrewed and drops. Then 3-4 oz of oil drops out and splashes.

If you are using the 4" Oil Udder XL it works great, it catches everything. On the smaller 3" Oil Udder it splashes off the filter and the cup isn't big enough to catch the mess. That's why we talk about punching the filter with a screwdriver if you have the smaller one which allows that column of oil to drain out before you remove the filter eliminating the problem.

Regarding the magnet. It's a 2lb pull force Neodymium magnet and we didn't have that issue when we tried it but my suspicion is that because it's ****ed at such an angle to fit under the filter under the right circumstances it could cause it to disconnect. But we designed it to be able to hold itself while being completely full of oil with a 100% margin for error. Made a quick video clip that shows how the magnet gets slightly pryed away from the filter when it's ****ed to the side.

Thanks for demoing it. I'm tempted to give the 4" a try for my next oil/filter change.

Users who are viewing this thread