5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Filter Location! UGH!

JimD007

Reaction score
Doesn't help you guys but my 3.6 truck has a cannister filter up on top of the engine where it's easy to get to and a drain plug easy to get to on the right side. I do not even raise it up, just slide under and pull the plug and then change the cartridge while it is draining. I'm almost 65 but unless my health drastically changes it will be a long time before I pay anybody to do something this easy.

Another thing to check if you pay somebody is to be sure you have oil. My mom lost an engine when Walmart didn't refill it. They denied it, of course, and she didn't want to fight. She had a warranty but it didn't cover driving with no oil.

taz2016

Reaction score
Doesn't help you guys but my 3.6 truck has a cannister filter up on top of the engine where it's easy to get to and a drain plug easy to get to on the right side. I do not even raise it up, just slide under and pull the plug and then change the cartridge while it is draining. I'm almost 65 but unless my health drastically changes it will be a long time before I pay anybody to do something this easy.

Another thing to check if you pay somebody is to be sure you have oil. My mom lost an engine when Walmart didn't refill it. They denied it, of course, and she didn't want to fight. She had a warranty but it didn't cover driving with no oil.
You must have longer arms than me!
I find the placement of the Pentastar filter to be a major pain in the a...
Between removing the rear engine cover, stuffing paper towels around the base, reaching about as far as I can reach, and trying to get the assembly into a plastic bag before dripping oil onto anything to be a major pain. Give me a can filter under the engine where I have to be anyways to pull plug any day!

DennisY

Reaction score
Crazy question but don’t you all have complimentary Ram Care that came with your 5th Gen which gives you two free oil changes per year for two years at the dealer?

It is a free program on all of the new Rams sold here in Texas that FCA has been doing since 2017 or 2018.

Yes, I do. Still...a long wait for an oil change. Used to be a VIP when I had an F150. No such thing apparently at my local RAM dealer.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score

This must've been why Walmart stopped doing oil changes and any other simple maintenance.

OU_Elliott

Reaction score
I just looked at the Oil Udder web site; that looks like a winner to me. It's a little pricey; but a great idea.
This is Elliott, 1 of the 2 guys that invented and make the Oil Udder. Neither of us own a RAM but we have been aware of the terrible situation that is the late gen RAM Oil Change. We got our hands on one yesterday and did an oil change with the Udder(s) and took a video of the process that worked well for us.

I just joined the forum when I was searching "ram oil udder" to see if anyone had any comments online. Not trying to spam, I just thought people might find this video helpful. Don't judge us on our video skills, not our day jobs haha.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I just did my 2nd oil change a couple hours ago, 15-20 minutes in and out; no baggies, no mess. Its not that big a deal

RRRAAAAMMMM2020

Reaction score
Just curious how you avoid the mess without bags? I have yet to change my oil and don't really want to use bags unless I have to
I just did my 2nd oil change a couple hours ago, 15-20 minutes in and out; no baggies, no mess. Its not that big a deal

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just curious how you avoid the mess without bags? I have yet to change my oil and don't really want to use bags unless I have to
It looks like you are short a few letters in your forum name...please make it longer :ROFLMAO: I think you need at least one more "R" for consistency!

BowDown

Reaction score

loosen the filter, let it drain for a few seconds and old shop towels across the rack and electric motor.

futuruss

Reaction score
I just completed my first Hemi LOF at 7500 miles (factory oil) , and was happy with the location of the drain plug. However, the filter location was directly above the electric steering assist motor and right hand tie rod with the huge crossmember in front! After struggling to fit a filter wrench on,.....It was nearly impossible to get a grip or even a quarter turn on the filter ! Finally , I realized that I had to attack it from the front of the crossmember. Once it was loose, and letting the filter drain a bit, I removed it by hand but made a mess by trying to take it out around the tie rod! UGH! Next time I'll remember to change it using a different technique.
I use a zip lock. But before getting off the filter I bent the metal piece that holds the wire (I mark on the picture). Then I cover with a ziplock filter (make sure the motor is cool) untwist off the filter, zip it and it will fit straight down.

Attachments

• 1jr62d4e1f921.jpg
    1jr62d4e1f921.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 139

SD Rebel

Reaction score

But bags are easy. Use the standard big zip lock, use two of them. First one to get the initial oil that drops out of the filter, then slip it off and finish unscrewing with a fresh bag.

I literally didn't spill a single drop using this method. I use a small plastic drain pan (3 quart variety) sitting to the right of me where I put the oily bags. Zero mess, only adds about 1 minute or so to a traditional oil change.

RRRAAAAMMMM2020

Reaction score
But bags are easy. Use the standard big zip lock, use two of them. First one to get the initial oil that drops out of the filter, then slip it off and finish unscrewing with a fresh bag.

I literally didn't spill a single drop using this method. I use a small plastic drain pan (3 quart variety) sitting to the right of me where I put the oily bags. Zero mess, only adds about 1 minute or so to a traditional oil change.
Yeah it doesn't sound too bad. Do you empty out the bags into your drain pan and just through out the ziploc bags. I know it's silly but nice to reduce waste where possible

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Yeah it doesn't sound too bad. Do you empty out the bags into your drain pan and just through out the ziploc bags. I know it's silly but nice to reduce waste where possible

I eventually drained them into my drain pan and then into my recycling receptacle. It can hold 30 quarts of oil, since I do several vehicles. I wait until it fills up and take it to my local recycling facility. I also pack up the oily zip locks and my non-RAM oil filters, which the facility also takes in.

I recommend that while you are under powertrain warranty (5 year / 60 K), to keep your oil filters, drained and in a small ziplock. I store them (upside down) in the boxes the new oil filters come in and I date them to when the oil change was done. You probably don't have to do this, but I want a little bit of extra proof in case I have an engine warranty issue. Make sure to keep your oil & filter purchase receipts and a log of when you did the oil change.

One more tip - When using the bag method, unscrew the oil filter about 1/2 turn or so, then slip on the first bag. Push the bag all the way up, so the bottom of the bag is touching the bottom of the filter, then use your palm/hand to continue unscrewing. Stop unscrewing once the oil starts to come out. Then wait about 30 seconds or so until it stops coming out of the filter, slip off that first bag, place that bag in your smaller plastic pan next to you. Slip on the 2nd bag and continue unscrewing until the filter is off. Once the filter comes off, hold the bag there another 10 seconds or so to catch the remaining oil coming out of the mount.

Last edited:

ldoh

Reaction score
This is Elliott, 1 of the 2 guys that invented and make the Oil Udder. Neither of us own a RAM but we have been aware of the terrible situation that is the late gen RAM Oil Change. We got our hands on one yesterday and did an oil change with the Udder(s) and took a video of the process that worked well for us.

I just joined the forum when I was searching "ram oil udder" to see if anyone had any comments online. Not trying to spam, I just thought people might find this video helpful. Don't judge us on our video skills, not our day jobs haha.

Looks promising but there's at least two Ram 1500 owner complained on AMZN it didn't work. Any idea what their problems were? They claim it easily slips off the filter and vice versa the filter slips out after its removal- both scenarios making bigger messes than other methods.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What type of filter wrench are you guys using? I have one like this (this isn't the exact one, but similar) that attaches to a ratchet. Usually I use an extension. Is there enough room to use this?

SD Rebel

Reaction score
What type of filter wrench are you guys using? I have one like this (this isn't the exact one, but similar) that attaches to a ratchet. Usually I use an extension. Is there enough room to use this?

I bought one like that and it didn't work, just not enough room to slip it on top, at least for my situation.

I used a simple small swivel wrench, this one is particular working on the backside. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003969PKS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I warmed up my truck, so the oil was at operating temp about 15 minutes before I tried to remove the filter. It came off easy. If it's cold, it will come off hard.

Users who are viewing this thread