5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Filter Location! UGH!

U

User_3336

If you have a MOPAR owners account online, you can sign in and find the most recent offers and coupons from your preferred dealer. Current ones end 12/31/20.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Us guys doing our own Ram oil change in our garages, pole barns, driveways, etc., gives us street cred. They did it on purpose for us to exert and feel good about our masculinity after job completion... At least I tell myself that after cursing up a storm with each change. :ROFLMAO:

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I don't trust my dealer and the lowest on the totem pole tech they assigned to do the oil change on my truck.

There was a guy recently here who did his 2nd oil change (the dealer did the first one) and found the original oil filter still there. They never changed the filter the first time!!!

If you have someone do your oil change, make sure they actually do it. Mark your old filter to make sure they actually changed it and check your oil level, most likely they overfilled it.

RSZ

Reaction score
I don't trust my dealer and the lowest on the totem pole tech they assigned to do the oil change on my truck.

There was a guy recently here who did his 2nd oil change (the dealer did the first one) and found the original oil filter still there. They never changed the filter the first time!!!

If you have someone do your oil change, make sure they actually do it. Mark your old filter to make sure they actually changed it and check your oil level, most likely they overfilled it.

I had the first oil change done at the dealer. Got home and pulled the dip stick, over a quart overfilled.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Gallon ziplock bags and a lot of shop rags. People that complain about the plug I don’t understand. Sure they could have got the sway bar out of the way but it literally takes 5 seconds to wipe the sway bar off. The filter location though)? Much much worse. My entire arm was soaked in oil on my first oil change.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just did my second oil change today...and it wasn't any easier this time than it was last time. I tried the Ziplock bag trick....no luck. It is impossible to put the bag over it while continuing to turn the filter to remove it. Oil everywhere...just like last time. Oh...and the folded cardboard trick was a great idea.... except that theres no room for it...smh.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Just did my second oil change today...and it wasn't any easier this time than it was last time. I tried the Ziplock bag trick....no luck. It is impossible to put the bag over it while continuing to turn the filter to remove it. Oil everywhere...just like last time. Oh...and the folded cardboard trick was a great idea.... except that theres no room for it...smh.

The trick is to use two bags. The first bag is to collect the initial oil that comes out after you break loose the filter. You will need to wait a minute or so for it to stop dripping, then remove that 1st bag and slip on a 2nd bag. Then finish unscrewing with that 2nd bag.

Trust me, do it that way and you will not drop any oil at all.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I had the first oil change done at the dealer. Got home and pulled the dip stick, over a quart overfilled.

Yup, paying someone else screw up your truck, that's why the only time the dealer will see my truck is when it's in there for a warranty issue that I cannot fix myself.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I purchased a Fumoto Drain Valve to go on the EcoDiesel Engine
during the first Oil Change. Then I would just push a hose on and
turn the Lever to drain. Canister filter on top.

Just keep VERY GOOD records of the oil changes with the oil and filters
used, Reciepts too. Otherwise they will try and void your warranty.

Malodave

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
Worked on enough of my own cars with my time being even more rare - if i had the lift and maybe 10-20 years later in life I will probably be doing it again. Point is if they mess it up, it is under warranty and their fault.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Same here. They don't let the oil drain long enough, then they dump in 7 quarts and slam the hood never checking the dipstick.

Another thing they don't do is pre fill the filter. Not that big of a deal really considering the size of the filter but it does create a dry start situation

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had Jiffy Lube do the first oil change with my 2008 Big Horn HEMI at 3500 Miles.
Went strait home about 2 miles. Starting the Truck the next morning, All kinds of
White smoke poured out of the exhaust. Turns out they over filled the truck.

Malodave

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
If you come in with coupons or an oil change package, the dealer makes you wait longer. Its a fact. Its a 2 hour wait for an oil change here (with the package)
Then don't tell them you have a coupon and just present it at the cashier.

U

User_3336

Then don't tell them you have a coupon and just present it at the cashier.
Well, if you purchased an oil change package (and used that coupon), they actually SEE that in your profile under your VIN # when they write the service order. The price (if there was one) was calculated when the order is written up, not when you pay the cashier.

U

User_3336

That might have been ME! The FACTORY filter was installed still.

factory.jpg

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Well, if you purchased an oil change package (and used that coupon), they actually SEE that in your profile under your VIN # when they write the service order. The price (if there was one) was calculated when the order is written up, not when you pay the cashier.
I’m not talking about anything other than a coupon...not a purchased package that shows up under your VIN.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The trick is to use two bags. The first bag is to collect the initial oil that comes out after you break loose the filter. You will need to wait a minute or so for it to stop dripping, then remove that 1st bag and slip on a 2nd bag. Then finish unscrewing with that 2nd bag.

Trust me, do it that way and you will not drop any oil at all.
That does make sense....when I was gripping the oil filter with the bag over it; the oil was flowing over the top of the bag so I can see your method might work a little better.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same here. They don't let the oil drain long enough, then they dump in 7 quarts and slam the hood never checking the dipstick.

Another thing they don't do is pre fill the filter. Not that big of a deal really considering the size of the filter but it does create a dry start situation
This is why I started a thread a few months ago regarding oil capacity...the 7 quarts is from bone dry stock at factory. I've found that 6.5 puts it just below the full mark when doing the oil change.

Users who are viewing this thread