5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Filter Location! UGH!

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Just installed the PacBrake oil filter relo kit. Took about 2 hours with the oil change. You'll need a shortly 7/8 with the PacBrake kit. All of the hose fittings and hoses are 7/8" and you need to monkey around with the long wrench to get everything tightened up. I had a 2019 5.7 DT and a dreaded the oil changes. The bag doesn't work IMHO. The Udder is also lame.
any pictures of the new location?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Ah! I will have to try the two bag method. I did the one bagger my first time and it was a total mess. I have not needed another oil change since due to low mileage since the pandemic began but will try the two bagger next time.

I wished I recorded one of my oil changes to just show the basic techniques, which makes a huge difference. The first being leaving the oil cap on tight for the first part of the drain, the oil comes out slower and doesn't splash as much on the sway bar, making only a little mess. Once it slows down, then loosen the oil cap and finish draining.

But the big one is breaking the oil filter loose, do a 1/4-1/2 turn, then slip on the first 1-gallon zip lock bag. Then unscrew until the oil starts pouring out, wait and hold the bag there until it stops, about 30 seconds. Slip off that first bag, I use a shallow $3 plastic drain pan to put the oily bag in. Then slip on the 2nd bag, finish unscrewing until the filter comes off, hold the bag for a few seconds as more oil comes out of the oil filter mount. Put that 2nd bag in the drain pan and you are done, super clean and really simple in practice.

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
First oil change I used a plastic cup that has a plastic stop 1” from bottom to keep the filter from dropping to the bottom of cup splashing oil. Worked well, but going to trim the cup top down 1” next time to better fit. I placed a towel over the steering rack and it keep what little that dripped/ splattered off everything. I’ll have it perfected next time and no mess. 20211208_145207.jpg

aznhomie06

Reaction score
I did the same on our Pacifica. Oil extractor worked good on it. I couldn't get the extractor tube down my dipstick tube on my Colorado though. Didn't want to force it and get it stuck either.

Newer Tundras have canister filters but it's on the bottom and the lid is on the bottom as well so it's messy as hell also.

Someone has probably already said this but in that video it was done incorrectly and the filter housing wasn't drained first. All toyota filters come with a drain that attaches to the housing so its not messy at all.

U

User_3336

Someone has probably already said this but in that video it was done incorrectly and the filter housing wasn't drained first. All toyota filters come with a drain that attaches to the housing so its not messy at all.

Isn't this a RAM forum?

RAMSTER@

Reaction score
I haven't been on the board for awhile but wanted to post the PACBRAKE oil relo kit pictures.

I didn't like the lines, but once it's on it's super nice. I never had any luck for the plastic bags or the udder.

Attachments

• 20220215_161722.jpg
    20220215_161722.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 113
  • 20220215_161700.jpg
    20220215_161700.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 111
U

User_3336

I haven't been on the board for awhile but wanted to post the PACBRAKE oil relo kit pictures.

I didn't like the lines, but once it's on it's super nice. I never had any luck for the plastic bags or the udder.
OUCH!!! $262.00 ? ? ?

U

User_3336

As much as I want this, the price and addition of failure points isn't worth it. I'll spill some oil and curse the engineers instead
and the thought of a warranty claim denied because of this. OP even stated he "didn't like the lines".

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This would definitely void a warranty no matter what went wrong with the engine,

RAMSTER@

Reaction score
You guys and your warranty crap. Stop speculating and read the ACT. They would need to prove it caused a failure. Moving an oil filter isn't going to cause a failure. The lines were beefy and well made - they are a tad long but that allows you some wiggle room. This was the first thing I put on my truck. The oil change was a hassle on my 2019 and on this too.

RAMSTER@

Reaction score
and the thought of a warranty claim denied because of this. OP even stated he "didn't like the lines".
I didn't like the lines because they were pretty big, stiff and a tad long. That has nothing to do with the quality. They are of excellent quality and will not kink or break unless you bodge the install.

Big White RAM

Reaction score
I didn't like the lines because they were pretty big, stiff and a tad long. That has nothing to do with the quality. They are of excellent quality and will not kink or break unless you bodge the install.
I installed this kit almost 2 years ago on my 19 and it has performed flawlessly. It should come standard on the Ram.

U

User_3336

You guys and your warranty crap. Stop speculating and read the ACT. They would need to prove it caused a failure. Moving an oil filter isn't going to cause a failure. The lines were beefy and well made - they are a tad long but that allows you some wiggle room. This was the first thing I put on my truck. The oil change was a hassle on my 2019 and on this too.
Touchy Touchy.... Your truck ...

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wrong.

The MM act protects you if you install replacement equipment not branded by the OEM (think air filters, oil filters, replacement parts, etc), or get it serviced/repaired at a third party shop.

You, on the other hand, installed equipment that is not found on any RAM 1500 from the factory and is performing a function that no other part on this truck does (re-routing the oil). If RAM chooses to, they can void your warranty and you would have absolutely no legal recourse.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wrong.

The MM act protects you if you install replacement equipment not branded by the OEM (think air filters, oil filters, replacement parts, etc), or get it serviced/repaired at a third party shop.
The MM Act does state what you show, but there are other areas that align closer to this device installation than your explanation.

"The federal minimum standards for full warranties are waived if the warrantor can show that the problem associated with a warranted consumer product was caused by damage while in the possession of the consumer, or by unreasonable use, including a failure to provide reasonable and necessary maintenance."

If there's an engine oiling issue of any kind, they can use this line and state the oil filter relocation kit caused the problem because it doesn't align directly with how the vehicle was designed and engineered. Of course you can use any oil filter you want, but if that filter causes any damage, they can void warranties for that also.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Wrong.

You, on the other hand, installed equipment that is not found on any RAM 1500 from the factory and is performing a function that no other part on this truck does (re-routing the oil). If RAM chooses to, they can void your warranty and you would have absolutely no legal recourse.
So you're saying catch cans also void the warranty for the engine also since no Ram 1500s come with it from the factory?

I bet installing aftermarket lights and light bars void the warranty on the battery also since they didn't come like that from the factory and could put extra drain on the battery?

Crap I guess putting in a sub woofer would void the warranty on the radio AND battery since Ram 1500s don't come with that either.

Take off your tin foil hat.

If you install an oil relocation kit and your engine blows up because the lines from the unit got clogged then yes, your warranty for that 1 particular item is voided.
When your lifters blow up because of afm\dod\mds that has nothing to do with the oil filter relocation kit and would be covered.

No one is expecting to break things and then ask for someone to warranty it. That's like putting gas in a diesel truck then asking for the fuel system to be warrantied.

U

User_3336

If you install an oil relocation kit and your engine blows up because the lines from the unit got clogged then yes, your warranty for that 1 particular item is voided.
Your engine blows up because of an oil relocation kit....... That's ONE pretty BIG item for the warranty to be voided on.

Yankee Echo

Reaction score
If only Mopar would offer a oil filter relocation kit...

The risk to benefit ratio of installing an aftermarket relo kit is too high in my opinion. Adding components of unknown quality that most likely were never durability tested for this specific application as an OEM would do, just to make an oil change less messy is a gamble I'm not willing to take.

monza2t

Reaction score
These all depend on what has failed and is trying to be warrantied:

So you're saying catch cans also void the warranty for the engine also since no Ram 1500s come with it from the factory?
If the catch can causes some sort of emissions problem with vapor recovery then yes they could deny a warranty claim for work related to whatever emissions problem that causes. If your air conditioning compressor dies then of course they can't say the catch can caused that.

I bet installing aftermarket lights and light bars void the warranty on the battery also since they didn't come like that from the factory and could put extra drain on the battery?

If the light bar burns out a relay that controls lights they could say its not covered because the light bar caused a load current higher than the relay was rated for. Battery? I think you'd probably be ok and not light bar related.

Crap I guess putting in a sub woofer would void the warranty on the radio AND battery since Ram 1500s don't come with that either.

It could void the warranty on the radio if your amplifier shorted out and caused the output section of the head unit overload and fail. Again on the battery, I think you'd be ok.

That's like putting gas in a diesel truck then asking for the fuel system to be warrantied.

People try to do that all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread