5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Filter Location! UGH!

ldoh

Reaction score
Are you using two bags? First one to catch the initial oil, slip it off then use a 2nd bag to finish unscrewing. You should not spill a drop of you use that method. Using 1 bag, that gets full, trying to get that off with the filter is a recipe for getting oil everywhere.

I'm all for low cost McGyvering but I've tried the bag method and although it helps it still isn't ideal. Unless there's another trick, removing the oil-filled bag lets the oil saturated filter housing drip until the second bag is put in place. Plus a plastic bag doesn't provide great grip, heat protection, or a nice round contour fit to the filter housing.

I used a gallon baggy to catch it all and the darn filter rotated while inside the bag splashing out and creating a bigger mess. And those darn bag corners start to fill up creating an even larger bag to work with. It's one of those been there, done that for me.

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm all for low cost McGyvering but I've tried the bag method and although it helps it still isn't ideal. Unless there's another trick, removing the oil-filled bag lets the oil saturated filter housing drip until the second bag is put in place. Plus a plastic bag doesn't provide great grip, heat protection, or a nice round contour fit to the filter housing.

I used a gallon baggy to catch it all and the darn filter rotated while inside the bag splashing out and creating a bigger mess. And those darn bag corners start to fill up creating an even larger bag to work with. It's one of those been there, done that for me.

Gallon is too large, the filter is rather small. Maybe half a gallon would have been better. You shove the bag up until the bottom of the bag is right up to the bottom of the filter, gives good hand grip. Once it starts dripping, I let the bag slide down a bit and hold it from the top with my fingers until the filter stops dripping from the mount.

Then I slip that bag off and put it in a small pan to the right of me, slip on the 2nd bag the same way and finish unscrewing. Once the filter drops, about 1/8th of a quart of oil will come out of the mount, takes another 10 seconds to let it drip out.

Also, how high is the front end of your truck jacked up? I used decent sized ramps (Rhino 15,000 lbs capacity $50 at Amazon), which gave me plenty of room to work. Like I mentioned earlier, removing my filter was a piece of cake and less messy than any other truck I've owned using this method. But the little details can derail it and make it messy.

I'm not due an oil change soon, but I'll try to find a way to make a video using this method.

Last edited:

flyfingers

Reaction score
So I definitely didn't need to change the oil as my truck only has 100 miles on it but I wanted to get the factory filter off sooner than later. My thought is that if I wait until 5 - 7,000 miles it could become harder to take off. At any rate I just did an oil change and the plug dripping on the sway bar isn't an issue at all - just wipe it off when it's done dripping. I have a 4x4 and the filter is kind of a PITA and you really have to wrench it from the front. I tried the bag thing as I've done with many GMCs that I've owned but it didn't go very well with this Ram. I ended up just breaking (mangling) the filter loose a few turns and letting it drip into the pan I had underneath it. After it was finished dripping, I took a bottle of rubbing alcohol and, from the front, squirted it all over the components that the oil from the filter dripped on. Finished it by wiping those components with an alcohol soaked rag. Looks like new and really didn't take all that much effort. How good rubbing alc is for the steering components? We'll see.

I can perhaps see the bag working for future changes when the filter isn't on as tight as the factory one.

Rubbing alc is my friend anytime I'm working with oily parts. Applied to a rag, it cleans the tools, oil soaked under carriage components, and your hands if needed and it's cheap. Total side note: soak one of your wife's cotton makeup remover discs / pads in alc and put it under your charcoal chimney to start your Q.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
So I definitely didn't need to change the oil as my truck only has 100 miles on it but I wanted to get the factory filter off sooner than later. My thought is that if I wait until 5 - 7,000 miles it could become harder to take off. At any rate I just did an oil change and the plug dripping on the sway bar isn't an issue at all - just wipe it off when it's done dripping. I have a 4x4 and the filter is kind of a PITA and you really have to wrench it from the front. I tried the bag thing as I've done with many GMCs that I've owned but it didn't go very well with this Ram. I ended up just breaking (mangling) the filter loose a few turns and letting it drip into the pan I had underneath it. After it was finished dripping, I took a bottle of rubbing alcohol and, from the front, squirted it all over the components that the oil from the filter dripped on. Finished it by wiping those components with an alcohol soaked rag. Looks like new and really didn't take all that much effort. How good rubbing alc is for the steering components? We'll see.

I can perhaps see the bag working for future changes when the filter isn't on as tight as the factory one.

Rubbing alc is my friend anytime I'm working with oily parts. Applied to a rag, it cleans the tools, oil soaked under carriage components, and your hands if needed and it's cheap. Total side note: soak one of your wife's cotton makeup remover discs / pads in alc and put it under your charcoal chimney to start your Q.

I've helped a couple of locals do their first oil change on their trucks, each time it was easy because we got the oil up to operating temp. The factory original filter is hard to remove cold.

As you mentioned, you don't want to use the 2-bag method while the filter is hard to remove, you should unscrewed the filter about 1/2 turn so it turns easier with the bag in place.

flyfingers

Reaction score
I've helped a couple of locals do their first oil change on their trucks, each time it was easy because we got the oil up to operating temp. The factory original filter is hard to remove cold.

As you mentioned, you don't want to use the 2-bag method while the filter is hard to remove, you should unscrewed the filter about 1/2 turn so it turns easier with the bag in place.
Had just returned from about a 20 min drive so oil was nice and hot - makes it exciting. Once I was able to finally get the filter to start turning, I'll bet it didn't unscrew more than 1/8th of a turn before oil stated flowing - no kidding. I was surprised how very little I had been able to move it before oil was running down the steering gear. I immediately put the bag up there but it was really too late. Since the new filter is only on hand tight, it'll be easier to use the bag method next time.
All in all changing the oil is really not a big ordeal. Sure the factory filter was put on Hulk tight but with a warm engine and a cold beer, it'll come off. As far as the mess, meh.... gravity and rags are your friend.

ldoh

Reaction score
Gallon is too large, the filter is rather small. Maybe half a gallon would have been better. You shove the bag up until the bottom of the bag is right up to the bottom of the filter, gives good hand grip. Once it starts dripping, I let the bag slide down a bit and hold it from the top with my fingers until the filter stops dripping from the mount.

Then I slip that bag off and put it in a small pan to the right of me, slip on the 2nd bag the same way and finish unscrewing. Once the filter drops, about 1/8th of a quart of oil will come out of the mount, takes another 10 seconds to let it drip out.

Also, how high is the front end of your truck jacked up? I used decent sized ramps (Rhino 15,000 lbs capacity $50 at Amazon), which gave me plenty of room to work. Like I mentioned earlier, removing my filter was a piece of cake and less messy than any other truck I've owned using this method. But the little details can derail it and make it messy.

I'm not due an oil change soon, but I'll try to find a way to make a video using this method.

I have ramps with enough room to work under the pickup. No worries there.

The filter leaks with a slight turn then requires oodles of hand twisting rotations and hand grasp adjustments before the filter can be removed.

It's not so much about the oil in the filter, it's the oil waiting above the filter that makes the mess. It's much more volume that the filter holds. And the size of the bag doesn't help with how little grip is possible between plastic and oil coated metal.

And then there's the eventual kerplunk when the filter finally slips from your grip and splashes oil about. The lack of grip almost guarantees the filter will slip out from your control.

I don't imagine many would be willing to hold a plastic bag under the filter while it slowly drips to a stop. I'm thinking it's better to direct the oil into an oil collection receptacle while it drains and then remove the filter.

I'm glad the two bag method works well for you.

Scram1500

Reaction score
I have some luck using a small piece of cardboard to divert the flow from the filter, but next time I'm trying the dealership approach. They just let it rain everywhere and clean it up afterwards

Adrianp89

Reaction score
I just did this the other day. A single plastic bag seemed to work decent, almost no spill. As the bag got full, I had to twist the bag along with the filter. As tight as clearance is I am not sure what else would work.

flyfingers

Reaction score
Anyone tried to puncture the filter as part of a diversion technique?
Not on purpose but the factory filter is on so tight that there's a real good chance that your wrench will puncture it long before it really starts to turn. I really think once you've changed it and put the new one on a hard hand tight, the bag method will be of use.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
IMO the overly tight factory oil filter and the out of the way filter location are two steps taken to ensure lots of customers return to the dealer to get their oil changed.
Could be FCA's way of throwing work to their dealer network; to dissuade people from 'doing it themselves'.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Preordered the 4" oil udder...anything is worth a try on this truck.

I miss oil changes on my old GMC, where the drain plug and oil filter were located less than a foot from each other. They could drain simultaneously into the same pan.

On the Ram, my existing Fumoto (which has been great) and hopefully the oil udder will make oil changes tolerable.

Matt92037

Reaction score
Did my second oil change yesterday and used a single one gallon ziplock. Did not spill a drop!

i used one of the filter wrenches that look like a giant set of pliers which made getting the filter loose easy.

the gallon zip lock worked but it was a ***** to twist the filter off when its covered in oil. Lots of little turns.....

Lrpilot

Reaction score
Did my second oil change yesterday and used a single one gallon ziplock. Did not spill a drop!

i used one of the filter wrenches that look like a giant set of pliers which made getting the filter loose easy.

the gallon zip lock worked but it was a ***** to twist the filter off when its covered in oil. Lots of little turns.....
If this was your second oil change, why was the filter on so tight?

Matt92037

Reaction score
If this was your second oil change, why was the filter on so tight?

the dealer does every other change. I am on a 5k mile schedule. Have lifetime warranty and dont trust myself to keep good records. Also i wouldnt say the filter is ever really that tight. I dont use ramps or anything to lift the front so the wrench just makes getting a good grip easier

OU_Elliott

Reaction score
Me too. And the pre-order provides a few bucks discount. I won't be due for an oil change for a few months anyway.
We actually ended up getting parts in early so the pre-orders are going out today and tomorrow. We really appreciate the business. Let me know how it works out for you!

ldoh

Reaction score
We actually ended up getting parts in early so the pre-orders are going out today and tomorrow. We really appreciate the business. Let me know how it works out for you!

That was a pleasant surprise. It'll be a few months before I give it a try. Gawd forbid I say I'm looking forward to it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/