5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NO TAILGATE AJAR WARNING ?? 2020 ram rebel

U

User_21361

I made a call to customer care and they told me they can’t force a dealer to perform work on my vehicle. If this is true then why did I spend money on an extended warranty from FCA that is valid at all dealers?

They said my issue should have been caught in the pdi process and it’s not their issue. BS something on my truck isn’t working, and your a licensed dealer/repair facility.

Wow, that sucks... Maybe blast them on every review site (fb, goog, everywhere you can) so at least others can make an informed opinion (and help make you at least feel better in the short term haha). Also glad I cancelled my extended warranty. Clearly, I am a very spiteful person :cool:

Dahknes

Reaction score
My 2020 rebel has lane departure warning and adaptive cruise control and every other sensor you can think of but NO TAILGATE WARNING LAMP ? Lololo
I have the same and just looked up my build sheet. It's there as a standard feature, but does not light up as is the case with others. No multi function tailgate here but it was down the other day after i closed it and drove off. Guy on the highway was flagging me down trying to notify me, I didn't think much of him until a mile later i hit my reverse camera bottom and sure enough, tailgate was down with stuff in the bed. Ridiculous

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the same and just looked up my build sheet. It's there as a standard feature, but does not light up as is the case with others. No multi function tailgate here but it was down the other day after i closed it and drove off. Guy on the highway was flagging me down trying to notify me, I didn't think much of him until a mile later i hit my reverse camera bottom and sure enough, tailgate was down with stuff in the bed. Ridiculous

And engineering no longer sees this as a problem. It’s a serious safety issue, I have a couple lawyers looking in this as either a class action lawsuit or a false advertising case. The dealers can’t do anything because engineering refuses to tell them how to fix it.

Dahknes

Reaction score
And engineering no longer sees this as a problem. It’s a serious safety issue, I have a couple lawyers looking in this as either a class action lawsuit or a false advertising case. The dealers can’t do anything because engineering refuses to tell them how to fix it.
I read through this entire thread, appreciate the work you put in about it. Seriously ridiculous and the answer would be "owners are responsible to secure cargo" like uh yes but manufacturers are responsible to have a functional product.

HydroRebel

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Rebel and the tailgate warning is listed on my build sheet though it doesn't work. I checked with alfaobd and under ECUConfig4 Tailgate Ajar Warning it said 'yes'. Under CBC Config I/O: Connector F Pin 26: Trunk/Liftgate Ajar Signal Input Presented it said 'no' so I changed it to yes. It's been over a week and it still doesn't work. I read the entire thread and this worked for someone else so FCA must've done something else to disable the feature. I love the truck but this issue is starting to annoy me. Is there any other setting that might need to be enabled through alfaobd? I scanned through all options and nothing jumped out at me. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I guess I should also add that my cargo and bed lights do come on when I open the tailgate.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2020 Rebel and the tailgate warning is listed on my build sheet though it doesn't work. I checked with alfaobd and under ECUConfig4 Tailgate Ajar Warning it said 'yes'. Under CBC Config I/O: Connector F Pin 26: Trunk/Liftgate Ajar Signal Input Presented it said 'no' so I changed it to yes. It's been over a week and it still doesn't work. I read the entire thread and this worked for someone else so FCA must've done something else to disable the feature. I love the truck but this issue is starting to annoy me. Is there any other setting that might need to be enabled through alfaobd? I scanned through all options and nothing jumped out at me. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I guess I should also add that my cargo and bed lights do come on when I open the tailgate.

From what I’ve read you only need to change one setting for it to work, it’s weird that the bed lights and cargo light would come on when the tailgate is open but no warning on the dash.

I am still waiting on a security bypass so I can’t confirm the settings. The one I tried to order was out of stock.

HydroRebel

Reaction score
From what I’ve read you only need to change one setting for it to work, it’s weird that the bed lights and cargo light would come on when the tailgate is open but no warning on the dash.

I am still waiting on a security bypass so I can’t confirm the settings. The one I tried to order was out of stock.

Yep I'm baffled by it too. I don't know what else to try now and it's bugging me.

HydroRebel

Reaction score

Sorry I said that my bed lights and cargo lights come on when the tailgate is down. I was mistaken, they come on when I get out of the truck or when I hit the on/off switch in the bed but not by releasing the tailgate, my bad.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That makes more sense, I’d try turning the trunk/lift gate option off and on a few times. It should work right away.

HydroRebel

Reaction score
That makes more sense, I’d try turning the trunk/lift gate option off and on a few times. It should work right away.

I'll give it a try I guess it wouldn't hurt to do it and rule it out. I did come across this though (https://www.moparpartsinc.com/p/Ram...te-Ajar-Warning-Lamp/75660685/68311435AC.html). There's not much info so I'm not sure if it's needed or not needed. At this point I'm convinced they changed something since toggling CBC Config I/O: Connector F Pin 26: Trunk/Liftgate Ajar Signal Input worked for another member but not me. I'm also looking forward to your results when you get your SGW bypass.

HydroRebel

Reaction score
Update: Got home today from work determined to give this another go. Hooked everything up and opened Alfaobd and verified the settings again. ECUConfig 4: Tailgate Ajar Warning was still on 'yes', however, CBC Config I/O: Connector F Pin 26: Trunk/Liftgate Ajar Signal Input Present was back to 'No'. When I checked last it was on 'yes' so for whatever reason it didn't stick. Maybe I had the truck put in 'acc' instead of 'run' but I'm really not sure at this point. I opened the tailgate this time and than proceeded to change it to 'yes' and it started working immediately. Got the indication on the dash while in park, got the bigger one when in drive and my cargo and bedlights now come on when I release the tailgate. Happy camper! I'm really not sure why this didn't work the first time but I'll take it now for what it is.

20200928_190125.jpg
20200928_190140.jpg

Paultg

Reaction score
I’m so confused. I have a 2020 Laramie with Level 1 package and could have sworn the tailgate ajar lamp worked when using my Fob or the release button up in the overhead console. The other day I accidentally drove off without closing the tailgate and got no warning or anything. My truck was delivered in August 2020, has 4K miles and has never been dealer serviced.
Like others mentioned it is:
- On my build sheet
- Not on my window sticker
- In the owners manual but doesn't really indicate if it’s an option or not.
- My bed lamps / cargo lamps do not illuminate when using the key fob tailgate button or the tailgate handle only.

This Chrysler video clearly shows the lamps working with the tailgate only.

I don’t know if I should go to the dealer or not.

Last edited:

Sixxshooter

Reaction score
I personally wouldn’t bring it to the dealership for that one issue alone ( tailgate open alert not working ) .As others have stated on this forum and others ,FCA is currently holding ground that you only get the feature with the new split tailgate option . ITS COMPLETE ******** but that’s there argument . Check with your vin and make sure there are no recalls . My 2020 Rebel has 2 recalls that I’m planning on bringing it in for . The windshield wiper recall and the adjustable break & gas peddles getting caught up on the the floor mats . P.s that may be only for rebels because mine came with the heavy duty floor Matt’s . Line yourself up for those recalls & oil change , then ***** A RAISE ****ING HELL THAT THERE ACTUALLY GONNA TRY AND AVOID TAKING RESPONSIBILITY FOR SUCH A BLATANTLY OBVIOUS AND DANGEROUS ISSUE !! SOMEONE IS GOING TO GET KILLED !! The more we bring in our trucks and complain the better chance of them fixing the issue .

Amazing93

Reaction score
I personally wouldn’t bring it to the dealership for that one issue alone ( tailgate open alert not working ) .As others have stated on this forum and others ,FCA is currently holding ground that you only get the feature with the new split tailgate option . ITS COMPLETE ******** but that’s there argument . Check with your vin and make sure there are no recalls . My 2020 Rebel has 2 recalls that I’m planning on bringing it in for . The windshield wiper recall and the adjustable break & gas peddles getting caught up on the the floor mats . P.s that may be only for rebels because mine came with the heavy duty floor Matt’s . Line yourself up for those recalls & oil change , then ***** A RAISE ****ING HELL THAT THERE ACTUALLY GONNA TRY AND AVOID TAKING RESPONSIBILITY FOR SUCH A BLATANTLY OBVIOUS AND DANGEROUS ISSUE !! SOMEONE IS GOING TO GET KILLED !! The more we bring in our trucks and complain the better chance of them fixing the issue .
Lots of different trims come with the all weather floor mats. Not just Rebels. My Laramie with the off road package has them. But I'm not going in for the recall until they have replacement mats. They won't be putting a big *** hole in mine!

pcar

Reaction score
I was able to get the tailgate open warnings working toggling the two options on in CBC Config I/O: Connector F Pin 26 & ECUConfig4 Tailgate Ajar Warning. 1st pass did not work but after turn on then turning off then turning back on in alfaobd everything worked. This was on a 2021 5th gen laramie

20nightEdition

Reaction score
I was able to get my configuration to work! 2020 ram big horn , they key was setting CBC Config IO F pin 26 Connector F Pin 26: Trunk/Liftgate Ajar Signal Input Present: No to YES.

Now my bed and cargo lights come on when opening the tailgate, if the gate is open there is a small red truck light in the dash showing the gate is open (same as the door open alert) and if I put the truck in drive I get the large picture of the truck with the tailgate down.

Thank you [mention]Dumpster_on_Wheels [/mention] for the post !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wolffie

Reaction score
Ive had my 2020 Rebel for about 3 months and Love it but I accidently drove home with my tailgate wide open . I find it hard to believe that a $65,000 truck doesn’t even have a tailgate ajar warning lite ? I could have killed sombody with stuff falling out the back . I’m asking if it’s is normal or should I bring it in to dealer ? I have the Rebel 12 level 2 package .
I just purchased a 2020 Bighorn I took mine to the dealership for the same problem my VIN saysi have that option or whatever they call it so they said it was a faulty BCM, I would have to come back when the part came in. A couple of days go by and the dealer calls and says another truck comes in with the same problem , they do some more research come to find out my truck does not that option, why I don't know, I open up all the doors and the hood and the dashboard indicator comes on just not the tailgate

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online