5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NO TAILGATE AJAR WARNING ?? 2020 ram rebel

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can believe after a this time FCA hasn't issued TSB with what needs to be done to fix. Instead they issue one almost 2 years ago saying its under investigation. Amazing that folks on a forum can fix with an app and usb dongle but the dealer can't.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Final answer from FCA Canada was that these trucks don’t come with the option unless you get the multi function tailgate (which makes sense) or parallel park assist (what does that have to do with the tailgate warning light?)

Funny thing is a large majority of trucks are being sent out the door with this option enabled without the previously listed requirements.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Final answer from FCA Canada was that these trucks don’t come with the option unless you get the multi function tailgate (which makes sense) or parallel park assist (what does that have to do with the tailgate warning light?)

Funny thing is a large majority of trucks are being sent out the door with this option enabled without the previously listed requirements.
Exactly my rebel with neither mft or park assist came with option working from factory and listed as installed on build sheet.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

RSZ

Reaction score

Had mine in yesterday at the dealer for a couple issues and the tailgate was once of them.

The tech who looked at my truck happens to be the shop foreman and owns a DT Sport as well. He was quite intrigued when I told him the option is listed on the build sheet. On his truck the tailgate ajar warning doesn't work either. He looked up his build sheet and it was listed on there as well. He ended up taking apart the tailgate to check for the wires and all the wiring and hardware was there. They reflashed the computer but that didn't do anything. He was going to contact FCA Canada but at this point I'm not too optimistic there will be any resolution other than FCA Canada telling us to go pound sand.

If anything I'd be fine with FCA Canada mailing me a cheque for $250 so I can go buy the parts and AlphaOBD and do it myself.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Had mine in yesterday at the dealer for a couple issues and the tailgate was once of them.

The tech who looked at my truck happens to be the shop foreman and owns a DT Sport as well. He was quite intrigued when I told him the option is listed on the build sheet. On his truck the tailgate ajar warning doesn't work either. He looked up his build sheet and it was listed on there as well. He ended up taking apart the tailgate to check for the wires and all the wiring and hardware was there. They reflashed the computer but that didn't do anything. He was going to contact FCA Canada but at this point I'm not too optimistic there will be any resolution other than FCA Canada telling us to go pound sand.

If anything I'd be fine with FCA Canada mailing me a cheque for $250 so I can go buy the parts and AlphaOBD and do it myself.
When you say it doesn’t have it do you mean ”at all” or just in the middle of the 7” cluster ? Mine shows on the top right where the door ajar warning is but not the animation in the centre like some have .

RSZ

Reaction score
When you say it doesn’t have it do you mean ”at all” or just in the middle of the 7” cluster ? Mine shows on the top right where the door ajar warning is but not the animation in the centre like some have .

There is zero indication of the tailgate being open. None at all. Does your truck show it? I'd love to find another truck in Canada that has it enabled to give FCA Canada the VIN and ask why it has it and mine does not. Think it would be a big help for those of us who "have it" but it doesn't work. If FCA comes back with "only these trucks with these options should have it enabled".

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
There is zero indication of the tailgate being open. None at all. Does your truck show it? I'd love to find another truck in Canada that has it enabled to give FCA Canada the VIN and ask why it has it and mine does not. Think it would be a big help for those of us who "have it" but it doesn't work. If FCA comes back with "only these trucks with these options should have it enabled".
Mine shows the 4 doors and the tail gate ajar , I haven’t tried the hood yet lol .

Reactions: RSZ

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I brought a truck to my dealer with a working tailgate ajar warning, along with vin numbers and build sheets of 4 trucks that were still on dealer lots that had the ajar warning working without the MFT or parallel park assist and was basically told by customer care to screw off.

I asked if they’d reimburse me for the AlfaOBD and bypass module and was told not a chance.

They had no reason as to why it works on some trucks and not on others. I’m sure some high up exec figured they could milk some more money out of buyers by requiring the multi function tailgate or parallel park assist, but neither option has “tailgate ajar warning” as part of their packages.

I had thought about taking my truck to one of FCA’s engineering employees down in Windsor since I’m not to far way, but it’ll just be a waste of time. I attempted to make contact with a few higher ups through LinkedIn, but have had no luck that way either.

At this point, even @RamCares has went silent on the matter which was once a “misconfiguration” that engineering was working on fixing to something that isn’t standard on $80k trucks...

Last edited:
Reactions: RSZ

RSZ

Reaction score
I brought a truck to my dealer with a working tailgate ajar warning, along with vin numbers and build sheets of 4 trucks that were still on dealer lots that had the ajar warning working without the MFT or parallel park assist and was basically told by customer care to screw off.

I asked if they’d reimburse me for the AlfaOBD and bypass module and was told not a chance.

They had no reason as to why it works on some trucks and not on others. I’m sure some high up exec figured they could milk some more money out of buyers by requiring the multi function tailgate or parallel park assist, but neither option has “tailgate ajar warning” as part of their packages.

I had thought about taking my truck to one of FCA’s engineering employees down in Windsor since I’m not to far way, but it’ll just be a waste of time. I attempted to make contact with a few higher ups through LinkedIn, but have had no luck that way either.

At this point, even @RamCares has went silent on the matter which was once a “misconfiguration” that engineering was working on fixing to something that isn’t standard on $80k trucks...

Wow is all I have to say. Thanks for doing all that leg work.

So I guess we really have no choice but to get AlphaOBD and do it ourselves.

Anyone know if AlphaOBD leaves a trace when flashing? I'd hate for FCA to find any reason to void the warranty.

Maybe us guys in Ontario can go splits on AlphaOBD and the required hardware and mail it to each after we flash the fix.

Wolffie

Reaction score
I got all my stuff in the mail today and downloaded the settings from my vehicle.
Before I did this I identified 2 possible settings that might affect this:

• ECUConfig 4-Tailgate Ajar indication
  • CBC Config I/O-Connector F Pin 26: Trunk/Liftgate Ajar signal input present
Keep in mind my tailgate ajar is NOT working and when I open the bed the overhead light does not come on.

The settings on my vehicle currently are:
ECU config 4 - Tailgate Ajar Indication: Yes
CBC Config IO F pin 26 Connector F Pin 26: Trunk/Liftgate Ajar Signal Input Present: No

I'm half tempted to change the CBC config and see. I'm pretty certain it wouldn't hurt anything. Before I do has anyone tried this? Perhaps I can find what that pin would be connected to in a wiring diagram somewhere?
I have the very same issue what OBD tool did you use. My dealer told me that my truck doesn't have a tailgate ajar indicator but my build sheet said it's standard equipment

Sixxshooter

Reaction score
I’m surprised no one hasn’t filed a law suit against FCA . It’s only a matter of time before we hear something about it on the news . About someone getting killed . God forbid .

Last edited:

Wolffie

Reaction score
I’m surprised no one hasn’t filed a law suit against FCA . It’s only a matter of time before we hear something about it on the news . About someone getting killed . God forbid .
I couldn't agree more I think at some point some one will file a law suit. However my dealer is less than a mile away from me and I'm going to become the Biggest PI you know what they've ever seen until I can get at least the truth out of them . They told me flat out my truck doesn't have that option it's not an option it's standard even says it on my build sheet

Anyway Stay Safe

Cook E

Reaction score
What i think happened is someone dropped the ball when they worked on the FCA vehicle config database, they've just removed sales code LAN from it and now they're trying to figure out how to fix that... some people had it and they lost it after a trip to dealerland... weird...
exactly what happened to my 2019 Bighorn.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
exactly what happened to my 2019 Bighorn.
They removed it in an update at some point and didn’t tell anyone why. It’s a big safety hazard if you ask me, I see people everyday driving around with their tailgates open.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
This thread got me thinking if this was an issue with the 2021 I just bought. I started it up and then opened the tailgate. I got a tailgate open light on the dash. I then closed the tailgate and opened one of the MFT doors and got a different light showing me that a door was open on the tailgate. Therefore, the MFT can distinguish between a dropped tailgate and an open door on the tailgate. I also noticed that when I turned the truck off, the light was the only light lit highlighting that something was wrong and requires attention. Here is the door ajar light...the tailgate dropped shows the entire tailgate down as someone posted above:

RAM TAILGATE LIGHT.jpg

Last edited:

aswetich

Reaction score
About a month ago, my wife came back from a trip, and the tailgate was open. I assumed she did not have it completely closed and dismissed the issue. Last week I was heading to visit relatives in southeast Michigan with a bed full of Xmas presents. Because the cargo was so valuable, I pulled on the top of the tailgate to confirm it was locked, also checked both sides, and the body lines looked like the tailgate was locked. After leaving the house, I stopped to get gas. Because the cargo was so valuable, I again checked the tailgate by pulling on the top of it to confirm it was closed. About 10 miles after leaving the gas station, another motorist on I-75 let me know the tailgate was down. Both times the tailgate opened unexpectedly, I never received a warning on the dash, and it still doesn’t today, even though all the documentation says a warning should occur on the dash.

Took the truck into the dealer today and got the same response many others did about it not being a feature for my truck, even though the build sheet and other documentation indicates it is a feature of my particular truck.

I have read thru the posts about using ALPHA ODB to enable the feature but there are so many different options for the gateway and bypass but I don't want to order the wrong stuff or spend a fortune.

For those of you that enabled the tailgate warning on a 2020, what specific bypass and gateway did you use, and what did all the stuff cost, including the Alpha ODB? Also, If anyone is in northern Michigan near Gaylord with all the stuff, I would throw you a few bucks to enable the tailgate warning.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
About a month ago, my wife came back from a trip, and the tailgate was open. I assumed she did not have it completely closed and dismissed the issue. Last week I was heading to visit relatives in southeast Michigan with a bed full of Xmas presents. Because the cargo was so valuable, I pulled on the top of the tailgate to confirm it was locked, also checked both sides, and the body lines looked like the tailgate was locked. After leaving the house, I stopped to get gas. Because the cargo was so valuable, I again checked the tailgate by pulling on the top of it to confirm it was closed. About 10 miles after leaving the gas station, another motorist on I-75 let me know the tailgate was down. Both times the tailgate opened unexpectedly, I never received a warning on the dash, and it still doesn’t today, even though all the documentation says a warning should occur on the dash.

Took the truck into the dealer today and got the same response many others did about it not being a feature for my truck, even though the build sheet and other documentation indicates it is a feature of my particular truck.

I have read thru the posts about using ALPHA ODB to enable the feature but there are so many different options for the gateway and bypass but I don't want to order the wrong stuff or spend a fortune.

For those of you that enabled the tailgate warning on a 2020, what specific bypass and gateway did you use, and what did all the stuff cost, including the Alpha ODB? Also, If anyone is in northern Michigan near Gaylord with all the stuff, I would throw you a few bucks to enable the tailgate warning.
This one works perfectly fine:

OBD Reader: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NLQAHS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you ever in AZ, I'd love helping you with that... I have everything installed and ready to enable this feature for you.

-Manny

Paultg

Reaction score
What’s annoying me even more is you can still build my 2020 Laramie on ramtrucks.com and the website still shows the tailgate ajar warning as part of my Level 1 equipment package. See the photo.

Attachments

• 014F2D35-B9B9-48E8-B0D1-F2810B94F76F.jpeg
    014F2D35-B9B9-48E8-B0D1-F2810B94F76F.jpeg
    123.2 KB · Views: 46

Users who are viewing this thread