5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NO TAILGATE AJAR WARNING ?? 2020 ram rebel

Jtt2015

Reaction score
I am having the same issue of no tailgate ajar warning and no bed cargo lights with tailgate down. I finally received the odb scanner and security bypass cable. Can someone please walk me through the process and getting the security bypass installed correctly?

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am having the same issue of no tailgate ajar warning and no bed cargo lights with tailgate down. I finally received the odb scanner and security bypass cable. Can someone please walk me through the process and getting the security bypass installed correctly?
Remove both connectors from security gateway module and plug them into bypass cable. Module is under dash near steering column. Just lay on you back on look straight up and you should locate it to right of steering column.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

singlerail

Reaction score
question before I attempt this again with alpfobd, when you guys mention the cargo lights come on when you open the tailgate, are they then staying on, blinding people if the gate is down??

HydroRebel

Reaction score
question before I attempt this again with alpfobd, when you guys mention the cargo lights come on when you open the tailgate, are they then staying on, blinding people if the gate is down??
I'm assuming you're referring to driving at night with the tailgate down annoying people behind you with the cargo lights on? If working properly, the cargo lights will come on and stay on as long as the tailgate is down. Now that you brought this to my attention, I'm not sure what will happen if you hit the cargo light switch on the dash when the tailgate is down. I haven't ran into this scenario yet so I'll have to give it a test myself to see if the cargo lights turn off when you flick the switch (unless someone else chimes in with the answer). That being said, being behind someone at night when their cargo light is on is very annoying. I've been there and it's not something I would do to someone else.

Paultg

Reaction score
I'm assuming you're referring to driving at night with the tailgate down annoying people behind you with the cargo lights on? If working properly, the cargo lights will come on and stay on as long as the tailgate is down. Now that you brought this to my attention, I'm not sure what will happen if you hit the cargo light switch on the dash when the tailgate is down. I haven't ran into this scenario yet so I'll have to give it a test myself to see if the cargo lights turn off when you flick the switch (unless someone else chimes in with the answer). That being said, being behind someone at night when their cargo light is on is very annoying. I've been there and it's not something I would do to someone else.
From the factory the cargo lamps won’t operate with the transmission out of park. Doesn’t matter what position the tailgate is.
But I’m not sure what happens with the reprogramming folks are doing with AlphaOBD.

HydroRebel

Reaction score
From the factory the cargo lamps won’t operate with the transmission out of park. Doesn’t matter what position the tailgate is.
But I’m not sure what happens with the reprogramming folks are doing with AlphaOBD.
Well that's good to know. There won't be any difference for those of us who used AlfaOBD as all we did is enabled the feature that should've been enabled by default from the factory.

585nik585

Reaction score
Хорошо это знать. Для тех из нас, кто использовал AlfaOBD, не будет никакой разницы, поскольку все, что мы сделали, это включили функцию, которая должна была быть включена по умолчанию на заводе.
only you need to disable this feature when you need to drive with the tailgate open, when transporting a snowmobile or ATV. but it only takes a couple of minutes, so not a problem for me

Mikejones11

Reaction score
I enabled mine today. I do see it being annoying the few times a year I do haul with my tail gate down. I wish it was an option you could set in the menu.

Patamaran

Reaction score
After reading all of this, I'm pretty disgusted that FCA is so actively refusing to allow a dealership to do the 5 min job of enabling this feature. It is already paid for and listed as an option in our Build sheets. it's literally no skin off their backs to allow this work to be done, and they have already been paid to provide the option. They don't need to send any parts, they don't even need to be involved in any way, but are choosing to deprive paying customers of an option that was included in the price of their vehicles for no reason. When I was considering purchasing my truck on the lot, the first thing I did, was check the build sheet for a complete view of what the truck came with. That list included a tailgate ajar warning.

I don't get how this benefits FCA, do they think we are going to trade in all our trucks for a new one with MFT tailgates and Lane keep assist just to get this feature? what guarantee do we have that if we did, it would even include this option? It's already on the build sheet, and that worked so well the first time right?

Last edited:

Dumpster_on_Wheels

Reaction score
After reading all of this, I'm pretty disgusted that FCA is so actively refusing to allow a dealership to do the 5 min job of enabling this feature. It is already paid for and listed as an option in our Build sheets. it's literally no skin off their backs to allow this work to be done, and they have already been paid to provide the option. They don't need to send any parts, they don't even need to be involved in any way, but are choosing to deprive paying customers of an option that was included in the price of their vehicles for no reason. When I was considering purchasing my truck on the lot, the first thing I did, was check the build sheet for a complete view of what the truck came with. That list included a tailgate ajar warning.

I don't get how this benefits FCA, do they think we are going to trade in all our trucks for a new one with MFT tailgates and Lane keep assist just to get this feature? what guarantee do we have that if we did, it would even include this option? It's already on the build sheet, and that worked so well the first time right?
It's not even that far. It's most simply not working as designed from the factory. They should by now have a star bulletin to check that necessary parts are on the truck for builds with tail gate ajar warning, and make the proper BCM modification that we have done with Alfa OBD. Like many things we want right in life it seems we have to do them ourselves.

vinnieloo

Reaction score
Somewhere I thought I saw someone had a theory about an update. I am pretty sure I used to have this feature as cargo light went on with the tailgate and now it doesn't. I did go to the dealer to flash for a brake controller install. I am wondering if the ajar feature affects the programming of the rear sensors. Like it recognize tailgate is ajar and turns off the sensors, thus creating a safety risk, thus FCA taking it away. I know if I back up with the tailgate down the auto stop slams pretty hard.

Can someone with regular and someone with MFT and a working ajar warning try and reverse with tailgate down and with tailgate open sideways? Curious what happens. Can you even drive with MFT doors open sideways? Be careful not to back up in to anything please.

Thanks!

troverman

Reaction score
I'm surprised all these people on here are talking lawsuits and shouting safety issue when the reality is, to my knowledge, no other truck has this feature, either. And trucks for years haven't had this feature. It's kind of like needing a warning to lock the front door to your house when you go to sleep at night.

That said, I already have AlfaOBD and OBDLink MX. I'll buy the security bypass and enable this feature on my 2021 BigHorn L2, with a standard tailgate. It is a nice feature.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm surprised all these people on here are talking lawsuits and shouting safety issue when the reality is, to my knowledge, no other truck has this feature, either. And trucks for years haven't had this feature. It's kind of like needing a warning to lock the front door to your house when you go to sleep at night.

That said, I already have AlfaOBD and OBDLink MX. I'll buy the security bypass and enable this feature on my 2021 BigHorn L2, with a standard tailgate. It is a nice feature.
The main problem is that it’s a feature that was working for some but disabled without warning as part of a software update, and this could cause issues.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I enabled mine last weekend and it works quite well. It was very easy to do. No clue why FCA had this disabled on my 2020.

HydroRebel

Reaction score

The problem is the feature is listed on people's build sheets (mine included) and was disabled at some point without proper warning from FCA and most dealerships have no clue about it either. In theory this is false advertising and at the very least poor business practice on their behalf hence why people are ticked off about it.

Dumpster_on_Wheels

Reaction score
Somewhere I thought I saw someone had a theory about an update. I am pretty sure I used to have this feature as cargo light went on with the tailgate and now it doesn't. I did go to the dealer to flash for a brake controller install. I am wondering if the ajar feature affects the programming of the rear sensors. Like it recognize tailgate is ajar and turns off the sensors, thus creating a safety risk, thus FCA taking it away. I know if I back up with the tailgate down the auto stop slams pretty hard.

Can someone with regular and someone with MFT and a working ajar warning try and reverse with tailgate down and with tailgate open sideways? Curious what happens. Can you even drive with MFT doors open sideways? Be careful not to back up in to anything please.

Thanks!
Yes I can guarantee that's what happened when you had the dealer re-flash you. I don't think they've done it on purpose as there's no real purpose to doing so, but they've made a mistake. And to some degree, with the amount of options and builds there are I can't say that I don't understand it happening. In fact, i'm surprised things are as straight as they are. None the less they have not fixed it. So lets say there is a golden 'image' of settings. When you had yours reflashed you got the newer image or set of settings which subsequently disabled this feature. Regarding your question, I do not have the MF tailgate but I put my tailgate down the other day and had something heavy resting on it. I was backing it up to my shop from the house. There was a warning that said parksense is unavailable because the tailgate is ajar.

troverman

Reaction score
I'm not so sure this feature was "accidentally" removed. Maybe on the trucks that came with this feature working from the factory, but I believe it was removed on purpose for newer trucks. Chrysler may have only intended this feature from the beginning on trucks with the split tailgate. I have no idea why it was advertised on window stickers, and I do feel those folks have a good case to make against Chrysler. Nevertheless, we're fortunate that AlfaOBD can "fix" or "enable" the feature. I've often wondered for years why trucks didn't have this feature, even if it used the very simple push-button switch on the tailgate jam area, just like cars used years ago for interior lighting on each door.

I can understand FCA deleting the code if there were repeated problems with "tailgate open" occurring on rough roads, or situations where the tailgate was not open.

Years back, GM introduced heated windshield washer nozzles on a variety of vehicles in the early-mid 2000's. Later there was a recall because of fire risk from these, and GM's solution was ultimately to disable the system. Customers were paid $100 because they were losing this feature. (Oddly, heated windshield washer nozzles had been around for at least 10-15 years earlier on higher-end Euro cars and never had to be recalled).

vinnieloo

Reaction score
I agree. I don't think the missing tailgate ajar warning is an accident. It seems that the ajar feature disables ParkSense (which makes sense). But then FCA may have realized that they have a safety liability disabling the auto stop that is part of ParkSense, and having no rear-facing camera since the tailgate is down, so they just get rid of the ajar feature.

troverman

Reaction score
What's surprising is that other trucks don't have this feature, even trucks with power up / down tailgates. It appears RAM simply added a microswitch to the latch which tells the ECU "open or closed." The ECU, in turn, can switch on the cargo lights, activate the dashboard warning, and disable rear ParkSense. Once the ECU gets the "closed" signal, the lights go out, warning goes off, and ParkSense is restored. In reality, the electric release tailgates (like all RAM tailgates now) are likely even cheaper to build than a conventional handle-rod release mechanism, and allow for remote tailgate release as well as negating the need to build a lock into the tailgate. Removing the power lock actuator which previously resided in the tailgate covers the cost of the latch actuator.

Dumpster_on_Wheels

Reaction score
I just can't see how extra visibility and awareness would be disabled on purpose. Regardless of the feature, what bothered me the most was that when I would open my tailgate my bed lights wouldn't come on like they should.

Users who are viewing this thread