5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multifunction tailgate uncommon?

23RAM

Reaction score
What do you do, sit around all day looking at the back of your truck? I understand not needing the functionality but the look comment, really?
I agree with @mynameisante it does look odd or different...and since I always back my vehicles into the driveway, I would see the ugly split every time I drive the truck.
:(

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Has anybody that actually has it, said they don't like it, or wouldn't get it again?

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not that I've seen. I got it and love it. Open it way more as barn doors than flipping down the tailgate.

I find this entire discussion very interesting. I understand that some folks don't like how it looks and I get that - everyone has their own opinion. My takeaway from this thread is that most people are reporting that the MFT appears not to be a common option based on what's seen around town. I will say that I routinely have people asking me about it when they see me with the barn doors open in store parking lots. People are certainly intrigued with it, that's for sure. Nobody has said that they didn't like the way it looked though. All comments were about the function.

The active participants in this forum are largely modding their trucks with personalized touches that make them unique. The fact that the MFT has a small adoption rate by definition also makes them somewhat unique. I never thought that the MFT would be a polarizing feature. Anybody know if Chevy/GMC forums generate the same feelings about their MultiPro tailgate?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Has anybody that actually has it, said they don't like it, or wouldn't get it again?
You beat me to that point. The overwhelming majority of people with them like having it.

Concerns about it flexing when open traditionally are unfounded. It's rated to hold the same 2000 lbs when open in the traditional way as the non-MFT tailgate.

Nah, I'm definitely a function over form guy, but
1. I don't need the split tailgate, and
2. I don't like the look

No need for me to get something I don't need, AND it being something I don't want to look at

And the idea of you not seeing yourself makes no sense. You see it everytime you go to your truck to load up

I guess I don't have to worry about the MFT, because the open tailgate getting in my way is never an issue
Meh...You say that, but half your reasons for not wanting it is definitely form over function.

No one "needs" the MFT. That statement makes no sense. I get it, you don't want it. Fair enough. I'm glad you're happy with what you have. (y)

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting. I wonder if they started that in the past couple of years. My last Laramie was a 2019.

That has me thinking, if you do not have an MFT, where would the step be located? Side saddle instead of straight back?
You can get a retractable corner step or the retractable center step, I believe.
IMO, the MFT with no retractable step is perfectly adequate, even preferrable. When I need to get up into the bed I find it MUCH easier to open the left-side MFT barn door, keep my left hand on the left (open) barn door, put my right hand on top of the closed right-hand barn door, step on the dropped center section of the bumper, and pull myself up into the bed.
That description sounds complicated, but in reality it's a fast, super-easy, smooth motion, and as an old fart with chronic lower-back issues, the MFT a real blessing. I hope Ram continues making it in future generations of trucks.
It's funny to me how Ram doesn't push the MFT at all, compared to GMC & now Chevy, who seem to put it on a huge number of trucks and shove them onto the dealers.
BTW, Ford may be pushing the tailgate innovations quite heavily again:
New Ford F-150 Tailgate Combines The Best Of Ram And Chevy
New F150 triple-gate patent

Last edited:

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is the real answer to the OP's question. Dealers track what their customers buy, and should pay attention to what prospective customers ask for. I'll compare it to the group pizza order. If you invite 30 people over to your house, you'll order a bunch of 1-topping pizzas, some fancy ones, and a few vegetarians/supreme because people say that they want it. However, at the end of the day all of the pepperoni pizza will be wiped out and you'll have a bunch of the specialty/veggie pizzas left. People say that want something but in the end its all about what sells. These dealers probably know that 70%/80%/90% (??) of their customers want the standard tailgate and so that's what they primarily have on the lot.
Or, you can do like GMC does and put their MultiPro tailgate on nearly every Sierra half-ton they build, then people HAVE to buy them.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nah, I'm definitely a function over form guy, but
1. I don't need the split tailgate, and
2. I don't like the look

No need for me to get something I don't need, AND it being something I don't want to look at

And the idea of you not seeing yourself makes no sense. You see it everytime you go to your truck to load up

I guess I don't have to worry about the MFT, because the open tailgate getting in my way is never an issue
For me, I find it so useful, and as I've posted elsewhere in this thread, a lower-back-saver as well, so I actually PREFER seeing that seam in the tailgate - because I know how useful it is and how much joy it brings to me knowing it's there for me to use. Like being a member of the cool kids club ; -)
To each their own, of course, so if the look of the MFT bugs you then you definitely are not the demographic Ram is looking for. As a technical type, I much prefer to see form following function, rather than slick form with no real purpose other than aesthetics.
But if you don't like the looks of the Ram MFT, wait until you see Ford's new patent on an F150 tailgate with TWO seams, because it has THREE doors. See my other post within this thread for links to two recent articles.

Last edited:

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can get a retractable corner step or the retractable center step, I believe.
IMO, the MFT with no retractable step is perfectly adequate, even preferrable. When I need to get up into the bed I find it MUCH easier to open the left-side MFT barn door, keep my left hand on the left (open) barn door, put my right hand on top of the closed right-hand barn door, step on the dropped center section of the bumper, and pull myself up into the bed.
That description sounds complicated, but in reality it's a fast, super-easy, smooth motion, and as an old fart with chronic lower-back issues, the MFT a real blessing. I hope Ram continues making it in future generations of trucks.
It's funny to me how Ram doesn't push the MFT at all, compared to GMC & now Chevy, who seem to put it on a huge number of trucks and shove them onto the dealers.
It'll be interesting to see if the central swing door is still fully functional while towing.

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Over the year, when I was shopping for my truck, I looked at a MFT on a lot. My son and I opened it closed it several times, both ways, and we were surprised how solid it felt. If it came at no added cost I would have been fine with it. Having survived with a standard tail gate for almost 50 years I figured I could live without it for another 20.🤞We did have concerns if it would hold up over time, hinges and bed sides loosening, even with the extra bracing.

How are they holding up on the trucks that have had them for years?

dannydyn

Reaction score
MFT & RAMBOX combo were the main driver of my decision to custom order a 2024 truck over a 2023 on any dealer lot nationwide. Just couldn't find a truck that has both of those and a bunch of other stuff I was looking to have, but those 2 together were an absolute must-have. No doubt I paid more (sticker was over 80k), but I got to have the truck exactly like I wanted it.

Last edited:

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
MFT & RAMBOX combo were the main driver of my decision to custom order a 2024 truck over a 2023 on any dealer lot nationwide. Just couldn't find a truck that has both of those and a bunch of other stuff I was looking to have, but those 2 together were an absolute must-have. No doubt I paid more (sticker was over 80k), but I got to have the truck exactly like I wanted to.
I would've also gotten Ramboxes but I wanted the 6'-4" bed and it was only an option for the short bed in 2022.

MileHi Guy

Reaction score
Over the year, when I was shopping for my truck, I looked at a MFT on a lot. My son and I opened it closed it several times, both ways, and we were surprised how solid it felt. If it came at no added cost I would have been fine with it. Having survived with a standard tail gate for almost 50 years I figured I could live without it for another 20.🤞We did have concerns if it would hold up over time, hinges and bed sides loosening, even with the extra bracing.

I've had my MFT for 2 years and it seems like its held up fine. I guess I was wondering if anyone had issues after they got a truck with one. The service guy at the dealership I was at said he thought maybe the reason we see less of them is because of the higher cost. I can see no reason not to get one if it fits what you are willing to pay. I love mine.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The whole idea of 1/3 2/3 is so you can access with a trailer attached. With the Ford tailgate you can't.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Three and a half years with mine, it works perfectly, I wouldn't be without one now.

mynameisante

Reaction score
For me, I find it so useful, and as I've posted elsewhere in this thread, a lower-back-saver as well, so I actually PREFER seeing that seam in the tailgate - because I know how useful it is and how much joy it brings to me knowing it's there for me to use. Like being a member of the cool kids club ; -)
To each their own, of course, so if the look of the MFT bugs you then you definitely are not the demographic Ram is looking for. As a technical type, I much prefer to see form following function, rather than slick form with no real purpose other than aesthetics.
But if you don't like the looks of the Ram MFT, wait until you see Ford's new patent on an F150 tailgate with TWO seams, because it has THREE doors. See my other post within this thread for links to two recent articles.
"Not the demographic." If that was the case, then Ram would be sure that ALL tailgates were MFT

All this slack from MFT thumpers because I have no use for it and I think it's ugly

mynameisante

Reaction score
You beat me to that point. The overwhelming majority of people with them like having it.

Concerns about it flexing when open traditionally are unfounded. It's rated to hold the same 2000 lbs when open in the traditional way as the non-MFT tailgate.

Meh...You say that, but half your reasons for not wanting it is definitely form over function.

No one "needs" the MFT. That statement makes no sense. I get it, you don't want it. Fair enough. I'm glad you're happy with what you have. (y)
What do you mean it makes no sense? I simply have no use for a split tailgate when a regular drop down is what I need. Why's it so hard to wrap your reading comprehension around that simple statement?

mynameisante

Reaction score
What do you do, sit around all day looking at the back of your truck? I understand not needing the functionality but the look comment, really?
Are you offended that I think the line is ugly? I don't want that ugly line on MY truck. You can keep that ugly line on yours. I'm not judging you on how you view it and that you have it

And as a matter of fact, I do stare at the back of my truck often since it's always backed into my driveway, my work trailer(s), my parking spot in front of my office, and the back end is out when I pull into a grocery store parking spot

Users who are viewing this thread