5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multifunction tailgate uncommon?

Jarrod32

Reaction score
MFT & RAMBOX combo were the main driver of my decision to custom order a 2024 truck over a 2023 on any dealer lot nationwide. Just couldn't find a truck that has both of those and a bunch of other stuff I was looking to have, but those 2 together were an absolute must-have. No doubt I paid more (sticker was over 80k), but I got to have the truck exactly like I wanted to.

That combination of RAMBOX and MFT were what brought me to Ram. I've been a Ford guy, and was starting to price out new F-150s (their "Area 51" color is absolutely fantastic). But was looking seriously at the Rams, and then about a month ago I saw it on the dealer lot. The unicorn. It was used...a 2022 model, with 15k miles on it. But it had the RAMBOX and the MFT. And a Hemi. Limited trim package. Too good to pass up. So far, nothing but happy with my decision.

I can see where the RAMBOX would be a love-it-or-hate-it option, but I am surprised at the dislike for the MFT. It seems like the primary argument against it is that people don't like the seam in their tailgate. Not much of an argument in my mind, but hey...your truck, you can get the tailgate you want.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
There would be more MFTs if it was offered on all trim levels. You have to step up to Laramie for the MFT. That makes it a $16,000 option for the person who only needs a Tradesmen, or can afford one that is.

dannydyn

Reaction score
That combination of RAMBOX and MFT were what brought me to Ram. I've been a Ford guy, and was starting to price out new F-150s (their "Area 51" color is absolutely fantastic). But was looking seriously at the Rams, and then about a month ago I saw it on the dealer lot. The unicorn. It was used...a 2022 model, with 15k miles on it. But it had the RAMBOX and the MFT. And a Hemi. Limited trim package. Too good to pass up. So far, nothing but happy with my decision.

I can see where the RAMBOX would be a love-it-or-hate-it option, but I am surprised at the dislike for the MFT. It seems like the primary argument against it is that people don't like the seam in their tailgate. Not much of an argument in my mind, but hey...your truck, you can get the tailgate you want.
I know in and of itself, from a pure authentic standpoint the seam may not be appealing to look at, but let's face it, it's a truck, not an iPhone. We're not talking about some design language here. If anything, I think it creates intrigue for the average person who doesn't know what that's all about. Gives the truck a unique look. And then when you open the barn doors, and see people's jaws drop... I mean, the functionally is the cherry on top. 😅

Speaking of functionality, how do people not realize it is much easier to lean into and grab something from the bed, or even climb onto it with the MFT is beyond me.

Extra bonus for me as a soon-to-be Rebel owner: I get to have a tailgate with the Ram badge instead of the over the top R A M letters you can spot from a mile away. Not a fan of those.

I guess at the end of the day, like someone had said it here earlier in the thread - it's the same as with the Ramboxes, those who have it, love it. Those who don't, hate it - but I guess it's only because they don't know what they're missing on.

23RAM

Reaction score
Extra bonus for me as a soon-to-be Rebel owner: I get to have a tailgate with the Ram badge instead of the over the top R A M letters you can spot from a mile away. Not a fan of those.
My Sport has the badge on the tailgate...come to think of it, when we were looking at trucks, I don't recall any new ones with the letters.

23RAM

Reaction score
Don't the letters come on Rebel tailgates only?
I don't know...I just don't remember seeing any with the letters. Granted we weren't looking at the Rebel model so maybe you're right.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
The Rebel gets the RAM letters on the tailgate only with the traditional tailgate. If it has the MFT it has the same ram's head badge all other models get.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
MFT & RAMBOX combo were the main driver of my decision to custom order a 2024 truck over a 2023 on any dealer lot nationwide. Just couldn't find a truck that has both of those and a bunch of other stuff I was looking to have, but those 2 together were an absolute must-have. No doubt I paid more (sticker was over 80k), but I got to have the truck exactly like I wanted to.
Agreed...MFT and Rambox were 2 things I wanted so ordered my 2023...I hands down use both of them more than any other bell and whistle feature that is in the Limited. When I get sidetracked and start to open the tailgate the regular way I immediately sense the weight and push it right back up to open barn door style.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
"Not the demographic." If that was the case, then Ram would be sure that ALL tailgates were MFT

All this slack from MFT thumpers because I have no use for it and I think it's ugly
Now you're getting sensitive/testy, for no reason. I said to each their own, which is a neutral statement, and true. And, yes, because by your own description of yourself you (a) have no use for the MFT, and (b) you don't like the way he MFT looks, then you are, by definition, not the demographic Ram is trying to reach with offering the MFT. That's simple logic.

mynameisante

Reaction score
To each their own, of course, so if the look of the MFT bugs you then you definitely are not the demographic Ram is looking for.
Quoted your post which I was replying to. Take a look at what you typed.

That being said:

RAM'S demographic are those needing a truck.

RAM'S MFT demographic are those wanting/needing the MFT.

Therefore, I'm not being "testy," but rather replying to your original remark. The only ones being testy are those that are offended I don't like the look and that I have no need for it.

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Answer to the question of reliability, 3 years in and have no issues with my MFT.

Its a shame that its not offered on more trim levels, I guess I have a rather unicorn truck being a BH with MFT.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Quoted your post which I was replying to. Take a look at what you typed.

That being said:

RAM'S demographic are those WANTING a truck.

RAM'S MFT demographic are those wanting/needing the MFT.

Therefore, I'm not being "testy," but rather replying to your original remark. The only ones being testy are those that are offended I don't like the look and that I have no need for it.
Fixed it for you. And yes, you are being testy. ;)

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know in and of itself, from a pure authentic standpoint the seam may not be appealing to look at, but let's face it, it's a truck, not an iPhone. We're not talking about some design language here. If anything, I think it creates intrigue for the average person who doesn't know what that's all about. Gives the truck a unique look. And then when you open the barn doors, and see people's jaws drop... I mean, the functionally is the cherry on top. 😅

Speaking of functionality, how do people not realize it is much easier to lean into and grab something from the bed, or even climb onto it with the MFT is beyond me.

I guess at the end of the day, like someone had said it here earlier in the thread - it's the same as with the Ramboxes, those who have it, love it. Those who don't, hate it - but I guess it's only because they don't know what they're missing on.
I can confirm that every time I open the MFT somebody comes over and wants to 'check it out'...and there's never been a followup with 'nice but I hate the look'. they must still be that rare in the wild and probably if you aren't a RAM enthusiast or somebody who does a ton of research you would not even know it existed so that alone keeps people interested when they see it.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I can confirm that every time I open the MFT somebody comes over and wants to 'check it out'...and there's never been a followup with 'nice but I hate the look'. they must still be that rare in the wild and probably if you aren't a RAM enthusiast or somebody who does a ton of research you would not even know it existed so that alone keeps people interested when they see it.
I've had the same experiences. Usually because of the unusual line down the tailgate. It makes them curious why it's there. But like you none of them have said they hate the look. They're amazed at how it works.

vinnieloo

Reaction score
I have taken off my regular tailgate and can understand the appeal of being able to reach in further. Very nice. However i don't trust those aftermarket brackets so the OEM corner brackets limiting the accessories i can use is a bit of a deal breaker.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have taken off my regular tailgate and can understand the appeal of being able to reach in further. Very nice. However i don't trust those aftermarket brackets so the OEM corner brackets limiting the accessories i can use is a bit of a deal breaker.
That's another reason to combine the MFT with the rambox option. No corner braces required with that setup.

mynameisante

Reaction score
Fixed it for you. And yes, you are being testy. ;)
You didn't "fix" it, rather you made it wrong. Just because someone has no need for an MFT (and, in my case, thinks it's ugly) doesn't mean that a truck isn't a NEED. Try again, maybe?

Av1

Reaction score
The MFT doesn't seem to be a popular option for most people, but the more I see them, the more I wish my truck had one. It seems useful, especially for a lifted truck.

I do prefer the looks of the standard tailgate, but I don't find the MFT hideous.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
You didn't "fix" it, rather you made it wrong. Just because someone has no need for an MFT (and, in my case, thinks it's ugly) doesn't mean that a truck isn't a NEED. Try again, maybe?
I get it, you can't take criticism. Don't feel bad, not everyone can.

Users who are viewing this thread