5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multifunction tailgate uncommon?

MileHi Guy

Reaction score
So, I was just at the dealership for service for my Ram 1500 and right before I left, I looked at the on-hand inventory. Of all the trucks I saw (which there were several), I didn't see one with a multifunction tailgate. Does anyone know why? I have one on my truck and absolutely love it. Even trucks with the Limited trim didn't have that option (I have a 2021 Laramie sport).

I didn't know if there was an issue with the tailgate functionality that I was unaware of or if it was possibly due to cost or popularity.

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have noticed the same thing, I maybe see one or two trucks in my area that have the MFT, Even when I was at the dealer for the sunroof issues, they said it was the first truck they had seen with the MTF.

I still get questions about it all the time as well.

My guess, the dealers are trying to keep the cost as reasonable as possible so they are just not ordering the MTF

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
So, I was just at the dealership for service for my Ram 1500 and right before I left, I looked at the on-hand inventory. Of all the trucks I saw (which there were several), I didn't see one with a multifunction tailgate. Does anyone know why? I have one on my truck and absolutely love it. Even trucks with the Limited trim didn't have that option (I have a 2021 Laramie sport).

I didn't know if there was an issue with the tailgate functionality that I was unaware of or if it was possibly due to cost or popularity.
lots of posters here like them

IMO, most of the general public do not

George Bednar

Reaction score
lots of posters here like them

IMO, most of the general public do not
I looked at a 2021 Laramie that had the MFT. I really liked the functionality, but wasn't a fan of the look from behind or how it seemed loose when you gave it a tug when closed. Ultimately I went with a 22 Limited with out it. Just my thoughts

MarPar

Takes a MoPar to catch a MoPar
Reaction score
I love mine. Wont get another truck without it if i can help it.

Does the step under the bumper come standard with the MFT?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just like the rambox option, I suspect that the majority of people here who hate the MFT haven't had one. I wasn't sure about them until we had one, and now we won't buy a truck without one as long as they're still available.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I love mine. Wont get another truck without it if i can help it.

Does the step under the bumper come standard with the MFT?
I DON'T THINK, MFT alone gives the step. It is however part of the BUG, and other option groups.

MarPar

Reaction score
I DON'T THINK, MFT alone gives the step. It is however part of the BUG, and other option groups.
BUG Bed Utility Group? I had the BUG on my last Laramie and it did not have the step.

6of36

Reaction score
BUG Bed Utility Group? I had the BUG on my last Laramie and it did not have the step.
That may vary by model then. I know it's part of the BUG on my Limited.

Bed Utility Group

$645
  • 4 Adjustable Cargo Tie-Down Hooks by Mopar®
  • Center-Mounted Deployable Bed-Step by Mopar® (Unavailable with some configurations)
  • Truck Bed Cargo Divider (Unavailable with some configurations)
  • Deployable Bed-Step by Mopar® (Unavailable with some configurations)

I just went to the build site, and it's part of the BUG even on Tradesmans. It's also part of the Elite pkg for Limiteds.

Last edited:

MarPar

Reaction score
That may vary by model then. I know it's part of the BUG on my Limited.

Bed Utility Group

$645
  • 4 Adjustable Cargo Tie-Down Hooks by Mopar®
  • Center-Mounted Deployable Bed-Step by Mopar® (Unavailable with some configurations)
  • Truck Bed Cargo Divider (Unavailable with some configurations)
  • Deployable Bed-Step by Mopar® (Unavailable with some configurations)

I just went to the build site, and it's part of the BUG even on Tradesmans. It's also part of the Elite pkg for Limiteds.
Interesting. I wonder if they started that in the past couple of years. My last Laramie was a 2019.

That has me thinking, if you do not have an MFT, where would the step be located? Side saddle instead of straight back?

6of36

Reaction score
Interesting. I wonder if they started that in the past couple of years. My last Laramie was a 2019.

That has me thinking, if you do not have an MFT, where would the step be located? Side saddle instead of straight back?
Yeah, may not have been available in 2019. They started when MFT became available. MFT step goes straight back, standard gate is at an angle in the corner.

Quint

Reaction score
Dealers just choose what they think will sell at their location. I see them quite often on the road.
This is the real answer to the OP's question. Dealers track what their customers buy, and should pay attention to what prospective customers ask for. I'll compare it to the group pizza order. If you invite 30 people over to your house, you'll order a bunch of 1-topping pizzas, some fancy ones, and a few vegetarians/supreme because people say that they want it. However, at the end of the day all of the pepperoni pizza will be wiped out and you'll have a bunch of the specialty/veggie pizzas left. People say that want something but in the end its all about what sells. These dealers probably know that 70%/80%/90% (??) of their customers want the standard tailgate and so that's what they primarily have on the lot.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I love my MFT. Just saw my brother today for the first time since getting the 23...he has a 23 Bighorn and no MFT and he said yeah that thing is awesome and I don't know why every truck doesn't have it...as he was stretching to get his golf clubs and I easily pulled mine out of the barn. LOL!

Users who are viewing this thread