5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multifunction tailgate uncommon?

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Extra bonus for me as a soon-to-be Rebel owner: I get to have a tailgate with the Ram badge instead of the over the top R A M letters you can spot from a mile away. Not a fan of those.
Superficial as it might seem, this was the primary reason I tried ordering a Rebel with MFT. Didn't want my truck yelling in ALL CAPS to traffic.

The functionality was secondary, though I was looking forward to it as well.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Superficial as it might seem, this was the primary reason I tried ordering a Rebel with MFT. Didn't want my truck yelling in ALL CAPS to traffic.

The functionality was secondary, though I was looking forward to it as well.
I feel you on that. When I bought a 2017 Rebel I didn't like how much the RAM letters stand out, especially black letters on a white truck. It's like it was a command to drivers following you and not the truck brand LOL.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Anybody wanna drive into your closed garage door and test this out?🤔

😆

Jarrod32

Reaction score
It's flabergasting that you choose to criticize someone over want(s), need(s), and preference(s). Very adult of you
This. The MFT is an option. That means it is optional.
If you want it, get it. If you don't like it, don't get it.
Your truck, your choice of options.
Consumer choice is a wonderful thing in a free market economy. You can get the options you want.
And you don't need to care what options other people do (or do not) have.

RAL

Reaction score
Didn’t get multifunction tailgate because I mostly use the bed for large items and did not see the utility for how I load and unload. Also not crazy about the look but that was secondary.

Did not get the Ram box because it makes the bed more like a midsize and again I don’t use the truck for small items. Also don’t like the way the Ram box breaks up the lines on the truck and on the road I notice a fair amount of them seem to have inconsistent panel gaps. This latter issue surprised me because generally the Ram 1500 seems to have excellent fit and finish. May be a case of the material they use for the Ram box flexing and expanding at a different rate than surrounding sheet metal when it is out in the sun. Don’t know for sure but didn’t look right and I have a picky eye for that kind of thing.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Before I bought my truck, I asked this forum about the MFT. Overwhelmingly, the response was, "get it."

I got it.

I could not be happier that I did. It has proven to be one of the most often used features I use.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Didn’t get multifunction tailgate because I mostly use the bed for large items and did not see the utility for how I load and unload. Also not crazy about the look but that was secondary.

Did not get the Ram box because it makes the bed more like a midsize and again I don’t use the truck for small items. Also don’t like the way the Ram box breaks up the lines on the truck and on the road I notice a fair amount of them seem to have inconsistent panel gaps. This latter issue surprised me because generally the Ram 1500 seems to have excellent fit and finish. May be a case of the material they use for the Ram box flexing and expanding at a different rate than surrounding sheet metal when it is out in the sun. Don’t know for sure but didn’t look right and I have a picky eye for that kind of thing.

I got the MFT because I got a long bed, topper, and is easier to load and unload palletized
material.
Can do with regular tailgate, but have to be a lot more cautious.
Need to get pallet all the way in bed to shut tailgate and topper glass.

As far as the Ram box, have had several trucks with, but I don’t miss them at all with long bed and topper. Handy, but don’t miss them being somewhat flimsy and kinda cheap feeling. Gaps were off and I know how to adjust them.

Last edited:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's flabergasting that you choose to criticize someone over want(s), need(s), and preference(s). Very adult of you
Let it go man. You're getting way too worked up over someone not agreeing with you.

You're right, most of the issues with rambox lit fittment are because of the plastic in the lids. Ram changed vendors for 5th gen 1500's. Totally different design from those on 4th gens. Thankfully, for me the usefullness of them outweighs the issue with fittment. It mattered more when the truck was new. Now, with a 3 year old truck, as long as they don't leak it's all good.

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got the MFT because I got a long bed, topper, and is easier to load and unload palletized
material.
Can do with regular tailgate, but have to be a lot more cautious.
Need to get pallet all the way in bed to shut tailgate and topper glass.

As far as the Ram box, have had several trucks with, but I don’t miss them at all with long bed and topper. Handy, but don’t miss them being somewhat flimsy and kinda cheap feeling. Gaps were off and I know how to adjust them.
With the MFT and a short bed, you should be able to reach the back of the cab.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

The Rambox bed is wider than the standard bed is between the wheel wells.

mynameisante

Reaction score
Let it go man. You're getting way too worked up over someone not agreeing with you.
It wasn't me getting worked up over it, and was never worked up over it. You and a handful of others got offended and worked up because I don't need it, nor do I like the look of it... it's ugly. If you don't believe me, please refer to my first post in this thread and read on from there🥴

themust

Reaction score
It wasn't me getting worked up over it, and was never worked up over it. You and a handful of others got offended and worked up because I don't need it, nor do I like the look of it... it's ugly. If you don't believe me, please refer to my first post in this thread and read on from there🥴
Basically one can think of the mft as just a 5th door. I use the bed a lot more just because of how easy and civilized it is for my kind of basic use. The off center line down the back triggers a bit of OCD but the utility of it outweighs that. For me. I only got it because it came with the truck I found. Wouldn’t otherwise have prioritized. Will never own another truck without MFT!

Users who are viewing this thread