5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multifunction tailgate uncommon?

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't order MFT or Ram boxes because I run a topper on my truck. Probably not the reason you're not seeing them though as most folks don't run a topper. I know they have toppers that are compatible with the MFT but only a few options.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is the real answer to the OP's question. Dealers track what their customers buy, and should pay attention to what prospective customers ask for. I'll compare it to the group pizza order. If you invite 30 people over to your house, you'll order a bunch of 1-topping pizzas, some fancy ones, and a few vegetarians/supreme because people say that they want it. However, at the end of the day all of the pepperoni pizza will be wiped out and you'll have a bunch of the specialty/veggie pizzas left. People say that want something but in the end its all about what sells. These dealers probably know that 70%/80%/90% (??) of their customers want the standard tailgate and so that's what they primarily have on the lot.
Maybe...but if teh majority of customers are simnply buying what is on the lot then it is a failed sense of what folks want. Most do not know or care to know that they can order a vehicle the way they want it...or are time pressed and buy what is there. I think the dealers should do a better job of bringing in new features.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, may not have been available in 2019. They started when MFT became available. MFT step goes straight back, standard gate is at an angle in the corner.
my step must be in the wrong spot...i have MFT and BUG and my step is located off to the left side...nit center of tailgate.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The step is off-center (to the left) due to the hitch location (I believe) . The normal location for the step is at the corner of the bumper.
thanks...that sounds more like what I have going on. pretty pleased with the size and location of the step

cmejatt

Reaction score
Wait is the topper different on trucks with MFT vs w/o?

I know if you have rambox it’s different, but didn’t think MFT made a difference on topper.

Sir Ramcelot

Reaction score
Limited Elite package comes with MFT and center mounted step included.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wait is the topper different on trucks with MFT vs w/o?

I know if you have rambox it’s different, but didn’t think MFT made a difference on topper.
It may only apply to ARE toppers. When I was ordering my last truck and planning to move my ARE topper from my old truck I was told it wouldn't work because they make a different shaped topper to fit with the braces used to support the MFT. Others have said it doesn't matter so I guess I never got a solid answer other than ARE.

mynameisante

Reaction score
I see the MFT all over town here. I don't like the look of it, with that line coming down. I'm sure it is a very useful and functional feature, though...

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I see the MFT all over town here. I don't like the look of it, with that line coming down. I'm sure it is a very useful and functional feature, though...
Sounds like you're a form over function guy. Fair enough. While appearance matters to me...to a degree, the usefulness of the MFT far outweighs the extra body gap on the tailgate. Which I can't even see when I'm in the truck. The fact that I don't have to reach over the tailgate to load and unload things makes the MFT worth having "that line coming down". Having a black truck helps a lot with that too. :LOL:

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My wife is not a fan of how the line is not in the center and thinks it looks a little odd, that said she does acknowledge how much more useful it is.

I am so happy with my MFT, however that was not something I was looking for when I bought my truck and this one just happend to have it. If I did ever buy a new Ram, I would have to ahve the MFT.

23RAM

Reaction score
Of all the trucks I saw (which there were several), I didn't see one with a multifunction tailgate. Does anyone know why?
I like the concept but I opted to skip it knowing that 99% of the time I'll be dropping the tailgate anyway. Things like groceries go on the floor in the back seat and I don't use my truck for work grabbing tools and such, so I didn't feel it was worth the added cost or complexity. Of the dozens of trucks I see on dealers lots and on the road, I've only ever seen one in person.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I like the MFT, I wanted it with my truck but it was still relatively new and hard to get plus I wanted the Indigo-Frost/Black Diamond Crystal in a Limited with 3
.21 and a sun roof. The MFT wasn't a deal breaker but would have been nice. The line in the tailgate doesn't bother me in the least but what I didn't like was the added weight and the flex in the tailgate when shut or down. If I ordered today though, I'd most likely get it

themust

Reaction score
I don't order MFT or Ram boxes because I run a topper on my truck. Probably not the reason you're not seeing them though as most folks don't run a topper. I know they have toppers that are compatible with the MFT but only a few options.
Having just switched from a ‘19 Laramie to a ‘21 Limited with mft I can say that I will never have another truck without it again. As for the brackets interfering with your topper, there is an aftermarket bracket that is easy to replace to allow for standard toppers, tonneaus etc. Otherwise the stock brackets necessary for structural support with the split tailgate severely limit ur bed options.

mynameisante

Reaction score
Sounds like you're a form over function guy. Fair enough. While appearance matters to me...to a degree, the usefulness of the MFT far outweighs the extra body gap on the tailgate. Which I can't even see when I'm in the truck. The fact that I don't have to reach over the tailgate to load and unload things makes the MFT worth having "that line coming down". Having a black truck helps a lot with that too. :LOL:
Nah, I'm definitely a function over form guy, but
1. I don't need the split tailgate, and
2. I don't like the look

No need for me to get something I don't need, AND it being something I don't want to look at

And the idea of you not seeing yourself makes no sense. You see it everytime you go to your truck to load up

I guess I don't have to worry about the MFT, because the open tailgate getting in my way is never an issue

n8zcc

Reaction score
Nah, I'm definitely a function over form guy, but
1. I don't need the split tailgate, and
2. I don't like the look

No need for me to get something I don't need, AND it being something I don't want to look at

And the idea of you not seeing yourself makes no sense. You see it everytime you go to your truck to load up

I guess I don't have to worry about the MFT, because the open tailgate getting in my way is never an issue
What do you do, sit around all day looking at the back of your truck? I understand not needing the functionality but the look comment, really?

Users who are viewing this thread