5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar bed step.

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Order it from parts.moparonlineparts.com. It's $291.16. Use "fs2020" for free shipping.

Well, I ordered it one more time using your recommendation. The order went through, now I’ll wait for the cancellation. If this doesn’t work I am resolving to just wait for the one I ordered through my dealer. I promise myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JLUR_

Reaction score
Well, I ordered it one more time using your recommendation. The order went through, now I’ll wait for the cancellation. If this doesn’t work I am resolving to just wait for the one I ordered through my dealer. I promise myself.

They've been the one place that reliably has parts when the others are sold out. I managed to get the mopar slush mats as well as the lower cab seal despite my dealership and a few other websites telling me that these parts were on 1-2 month backorder. Hopefully they have your step in stock, too.

Al Czervik

Sag A*
Reaction score
They've been the one place that reliably has parts when the others are sold out. I managed to get the mopar slush mats as well as the lower cab seal despite my dealership and a few other websites telling me that these parts were on 1-2 month backorder. Hopefully they have your step in stock, too.

A huge thanks @ JLUR !!! While I'm still dorking around with this whole step order thing from Mopar America, I used the "fs2020" coupon to save about 120 bones in shipping on OEM fender flares I just ordered from parts.moparonlineparts.com. You da man! :D

Al Czervik

Sag A*
Reaction score
Ok, back up the bus Louie... I just checked the UPS tracking info supplied by Mopar America (MA) and it shows the UPS tag printed yesterday has been cancelled?

Mine is on a FedEx truck. Might want to call them.

I just received an update that mine shipped FedEx too and I'll receive next Tuesday. They better not forget the free gift in light of @JLUR_ letting us know we could have got free shipping from parts.moparonlineparts.com. ;)

MrHankbot

I AM A ROBOT
Reaction score
It’s my understanding that it was on engineering hold because of a wire retaining clip you have to move to install the step and the hole to reattach is not the same shape. I understand a zip tie works fine. I actually already paid for one but have not received it yet from my dealer. I figured if I could pick up the new one I would just tell them to cancel or refund my order. I might try ordering from MoparAmerica. I wanted to contact them first to verify before I had another order get cancelled but they don’t have a phone number listed and the Contact Us form errors out so I thought that was a little sketchy but it seems people are having success so I may just pull the trigger.

I speculated that the retaining clip shape and hole don't match, and that changing the hole could be part of the planned engineering changes. I don't know that anyone confirmed that unless I just missed it.

I just want to make sure no one is taking that as gospel.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I bet they know they have the last of those steps until the redesigned unit ships. It's a seller's market. They may be marking up their shipping instead of increasing the unit cost.
I’m thinking that they are out of inventory and are sourcing from other wholesalers...and just passing on the double-shipping to the buyer.

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score

Received an email this morning from Mopar Online Parts. They didn’t cancel the order automatically but informed me the part was on backorder and I could leave the order in and get it as soon as it becomes available or cancel. I opted to cancel since it’s already on order from my dealer. Back to waiting patiently.

Limbeck

Reaction score
Alright guys I made an attempt to install mine today and I’m no mechanic but I know how to use a socket wrench lol. I couldn’t get it installed with that wiring harness in the way and the exhaust as well. Can someone send a pic of what it looks like under there? On what you did with the wires and what kind of socket wrench you used? Sorry to ask but I would greatly appreciate it :)

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Alright guys I made an attempt to install mine today and I’m no mechanic but I know how to use a socket wrench lol. I couldn’t get it installed with that wiring harness in the way and the exhaust as well. Can someone send a pic of what it looks like under there? On what you did with the wires and what kind of socket wrench you used? Sorry to ask but I would greatly appreciate it :)

I installed mine last Saturday. I used a flat head screwdriver to depress the locking tabs and pull the plastic locking plug out of the sheet metal mount that the harness connector attaches to. The harness can be pulled out of the way without unplugging the connector.

The step is very high quality and it fits high and tight under the rear fender. Works great!

Limbeck

Reaction score
I installed mine last Saturday. I used a flat head screwdriver to depress the locking tabs and pull the plastic locking plug out of the sheet metal mount that the harness connector attaches to. The harness can be pulled out of the way without unplugging the connector.

The step is very high quality and it fits high and tight under the rear fender. Works great!

Gotcha. I’m having custom exhaust installed soon so I might just have them install this while they are at it. I had a torque wrench to get the bolts off but couldn’t get a turn in at all with everything in the way. Seems like everyone else didn’t have that hard of time installing it but I may just need to give it another attempt?

Welfare357

Reaction score
https://www.jimcogdilldodge.com/ in Knoxville, TN had 3 steps of the AB part # in stock after I picked up mine a few weeks ago. I don't know what their price is or shipping would be. Mine was included with my deal. But they had the steps.

Last edited:

Bhbdvm

Reaction score
Gotcha. I’m having custom exhaust installed soon so I might just have them install this while they are at it. I had a torque wrench to get the bolts off but couldn’t get a turn in at all with everything in the way. Seems like everyone else didn’t have that hard of time installing it but I may just need to give it another attempt?

Be careful with custom exhaust. When I installed my Magnaflow the diameter of the tailpipe caused rubbing of the pipe against the Mopar bed step.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Be careful with custom exhaust. When I installed my Magnaflow the diameter of the tailpipe caused rubbing of the pipe against the Mopar bed step.
Were you able to make the step and the magnaflow work? I have the magnaflow installed and want to get the bed step

Bhbdvm

Reaction score
Were you able to make the step and the magnaflow work? I have the magnaflow installed and want to get the bed step
Not as of yet. I have gone twice. Initially I heard some intermittent clanking on rough roads independent of the suspension. Then when using the step it would would rub by the "knuckle" when moved. Last time I was at the muffler shop they could rotate it away but not enough so they ended tack welding the muffler in place but it moved again as I was driving away. They can make it clear but it doesn't stay. I called and spoke to a technician at Magnaflow and sent him pictures and a video. They tested their muffler on a Laramie without the bed step. The solution he gave me was a bracket fabricated from the bed step to the tail pipe to push it away. I have not tried this yet. It would only take a little bend in the tail pipe to resolve. Hopefully they'll make those changes at Magnaflow. Magnaflow did not provide the bracket but hopefully any muffler shop can make one. It may also be worth taking it to another shop to see if someone else can do it or has a better idea. I think i'll probably end up having to make another bracket like Magnaflow suggested.

Last edited:

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Not as of yet. I have gone twice. Initially I heard some intermittent clanking on rough roads independent of the suspension. Then when using the step it would would rub by the "knuckle" when moved. Last time I was at the muffler shop they could rotate it away but not enough so they ended tack welding the muffler in place but it moved again as I was driving away. They can make it clear but it doesn't stay. I called and spoke to a technician at Magnaflow and sent him pictures and a video. They tested their muffler on a Laramie without the bed step. The solution he gave me was a bracket fabricated from the bed step to the muffler to push it away. I have not tried this yet. It would only take a little bend in the tail pipe to resolve. Hopefully they'll make those changes at Magnaflow. Magnaflow did not provide the bracket but hopefully any muffler shop can make one. It may also be worth taking it to another shop to see if someone else can do it or has a better idea. I think i'll probably end up having to make another bracket like Magnaflow suggested.
Would it be possible to dent in the pipe slightly? If you’re talking about only a 1/4” of clearance then I bet that would do it. And that’s small enough of a dent to cause no problems with the exhaust flow rate. If you’re not comfortable with that I completely understand, who would wanna dent their expensive new exhaust lol.

Users who are viewing this thread