5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar bed step.

epmd

Reaction score
So I took my truck in to the dealer to have them check the bed step. When released slowly and while sitting it is clear of the exhaust. When it snaps back full speed it hits the exhaust and it is more than just a tap. According to the service tech the step is installed right (of course, it is mindless) and the exhaust is in a proper position. He said his best guess is the spring in the step is "too something" and it makes the step snap back too quickly. Do I warranty out the step and get a replacement to see if it is different. Anyone have this issue?

TX2019Rebel

Reaction score
So I took my truck in to the dealer to have them check the bed step. When released slowly and while sitting it is clear of the exhaust. When it snaps back full speed it hits the exhaust and it is more than just a tap. According to the service tech the step is installed right (of course, it is mindless) and the exhaust is in a proper position. He said his best guess is the spring in the step is "too something" and it makes the step snap back too quickly. Do I warranty out the step and get a replacement to see if it is different. Anyone have this issue?

Same problem here on my Rebel. Retracting it hits the factory resonator muffler fairly hard; I have to ease the bed step back into the stow position for it not to smack the exhaust ... Pretty lame if you ask me. Might just be a coincidence, but I think I've only seen this issue posted by folks with Rebels?

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Same problem here on my Rebel. Retracting it hits the factory resonator muffler fairly hard; I have to ease the bed step back into the stow position for it not to smack the exhaust ... Pretty lame if you ask me. Might just be a coincidence, but I think I've only seen this issue posted by folks with Rebels?
I have the issue with my limited but have an aftermarket exhaust

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is there any way to mod the step so it doesnt hit the exhaust so hard? I canceled my Bedstep after I read this fact with it hitting the stock 3" exhaust cause I have 5" tips with my magnaflow

Bram2019

Reaction score
These complaints of the bed step hitting the exhaust on retraction. Are these the dealer installed units or from the factory. If they are dealer installed or Mopar kits, do you know which model number they are. That part superceded so many times, I wonder if the recall number fixed this issue. I just wonder if the part was superceded so many times starting with the AC version because of this exact problem users are complaining about here. The AB version was recalled for a different issue.

TX2019Rebel

Reaction score
These complaints of the bed step hitting the exhaust on retraction. Are these the dealer installed units or from the factory. If they are dealer installed or Mopar kits, do you know which model number they are. That part superceded so many times, I wonder if the recall number fixed this issue. I just wonder if the part was superceded so many times starting with the AC version because of this exact problem users are complaining about here. The AB version was recalled for a different issue.

Got mine 4 months ago (mid June), so defenitely "AD" version or newer here. I'm going to crawl under it later today and see when kind of clearance I've got when stowed ... Might try and loosen the bolts, and pull it away from the exhaust while tightening it back up.

Dr. Jim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I installed the Mopar bed step I purchased from my local dealer on August 4, 2019. It is number 82215289AG. I have the factory exhaust and it does not hit the exhaust at all no matter how hard I let it retract.

TX2019Rebel

Reaction score
Got mine 4 months ago (mid June), so defenitely "AD" version or newer here. I'm going to crawl under it later today and see when kind of clearance I've got when stowed ... Might try and loosen the bolts, and pull it away from the exhaust while tightening it back up.

Success! It had about 0.2" of clearance to the exhaust when stowed. I deployed the step, and loosened the 3 bolts just enough to rock the assembly away from the exhaust before re-tightening - it didn't seem to pivot that much, but it easily doubled the clearance to the exhaust when I was all done ... Looks like 1/2" of clearance now, and no more contact with the exhaust when it snaps back!

Bram2019

Reaction score
I have a suspician that either the step had to be reinstalled or possibly all the superceded numbers were due to the step hitting the exhaust on retraction. A lot of times car parts are superceded due to vendor change or there could be an issue like reports of the step hitting the exhaust. I have the recalled AB version on mine tight now and it does not hit anything. Haven't had time to get the recall done.

TX2019Rebel

Reaction score
Success! It had about 0.2" of clearance to the exhaust when stowed. I deployed the step, and loosened the 3 bolts just enough to rock the assembly away from the exhaust before re-tightening - it didn't seem to pivot that much, but it easily doubled the clearance to the exhaust when I was all done ... Looks like 1/2" of clearance now, and no more contact with the exhaust when it snaps back!

Sorry guys, drove it all day and used the bed step late in the afternoon, and heard it hit the exhaust when I stowed it. Got under the truck, and the clearance was back to the original 0.2" (when it snaps back to the stow position, there is over-travel and it dings the exhaust hard). I think I must have pushed on the exhaust and moved it when I was messing with the bed step this morning, and it made me think I got more clearance when that was not the case. Not happy, but getting under there and looking at the problem gave me an idea for a simple/clean fix ... I'll share once I get a chance to test it out.

Tones1975

Reaction score
I have a rebel and had the bedstep ordered and installed myself. Mine doesn't make any contact no matter how hard I retract it. Just a thought without actually getting under the truck but could clearance not be created by adding a washer on each bolt between the frame and the step bracket?

rsmeanie

Reaction score
I installed the bed step myself and have the Borla S-Type exhaust and I have zero issues with it hitting. I hit the step pretty hard to retract it and goes back no problem.

TX2019Rebel

Reaction score
Not on my Limited. I have 3/4 to an inch of clearance between the step and exhaust.

What P/N was the bed step? No way I could get 3/4" clearance with mine. I think I've got the part number ending in "AD" (instruction revision dated Nov 8, 2018).

TX2019Rebel

Reaction score
I have a rebel and had the bedstep ordered and installed myself. Mine doesn't make any contact no matter how hard I retract it. Just a thought without actually getting under the truck but could clearance not be created by adding a washer on each bolt between the frame and the step bracket?

Adding washers would shift it toward the driver's side, but the clearance issue is when it moves toward the front of the truck ... I don't think the washers would help. I'm guessing the newer bed step revisions fixed this (AG, AF), but the folks that got the early steps (AD) are stuck with the exhaust smacking problem.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Adding washers would shift it toward the driver's side, but the clearance issue is when it moves toward the front of the truck ... I don't think the washers would help. I'm guessing the newer bed step revisions fixed this (AG, AF), but the folks that got the early steps (AD) are stuck with the exhaust smacking problem.
Well I have an AB version I’m sure so we will see if it fixes it once I get it replaced.

DennisY

Reaction score
What P/N was the bed step? No way I could get 3/4" clearance with mine. I think I've got the part number ending in "AD" (instruction revision dated Nov 8, 2018).

Sorry, I don't know. I don't recall now whether I ordered the AB or AD version and I don't seem to have the confirmation email anymore. The instruction sheet is in my file but doesn't have the model number on it. I just took a look under my truck but I don't see the full part number stamped on the step.

crangel

Reaction score
Installed the latest "AG" (82215289AG) version that I picked up from a dealer. A bit of a pain but it did have the pin so once you got the pin in the hole, it was simple. No clearance issues with my stock pipes. Great addition.

Users who are viewing this thread