5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar bed step.

Bhbdvm

Reaction score
Would it be possible to dent in the pipe slightly? If you’re talking about only a 1/4” of clearance then I bet that would do it. And that’s small enough of a dent to cause no problems with the exhaust flow rate. If you’re not comfortable with that I completely understand, who would wanna dent their expensive new exhaust lol.
Well I thought about that but the guys at the muffler shop did not offer that and the technician at Magnaflow did not offer or suggest so I thought there may be a reason to not do that. When I go back, possibly tomorrow, that will be one of the questions I ask.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Well I thought about that but the guys at the muffler shop did not offer that and the technician at Magnaflow did not offer or suggest so I thought there may be a reason to not do that. When I go back, possibly tomorrow, that will be one of the questions I ask.
I think It's a 3" pipe the splits into two 2.5" pipes so if my math is correct that's an area of just over 7 square inches for the 3" pipe and 9.8 square inches for both 2.5" pipes, pretty significant increase so I doubt there will be any issue with flow. But if they're 2" pipes after the split then it's a total area of 6.3 square inches, slight decrease in that case. Honestly it would only need all that area at WOT which is pretty rare, if it was mine I wouldn't worry about a slight indentation.

Chris

Reaction score
I think It's a 3" pipe the splits into two 2.5" pipes so if my math is correct that's an area of just over 7 square inches for the 3" pipe and 9.8 square inches for both 2.5" pipes, pretty significant increase so I doubt there will be any issue with flow. But if they're 2" pipes after the split then it's a total area of 6.3 square inches, slight decrease in that case. Honestly it would only need all that area at WOT which is pretty rare, if it was mine I wouldn't worry about a slight indentation.
Honestly, I would worry more about sound then flow rate. An indent that close to the tip may cause slight turbulence, which may throw off the carefully tuned harmonics of the exhaust. Definitely ask Magnaflow about this in addition to the shop to avoid an uncorrectable modification leading to regret every time you start the truck.

Bhbdvm

Reaction score
I

I forgot about this post and bought the bed step and now it won’t fit with my magnaflow looks like. The tip is just too big compared to the stock tip
I had to get a muffler shop to dent/bend the tailpipe to get it to work. I spoke with MagnaFlow and they stated it would not void my warranty.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I had to get a muffler shop to dent/bend the tailpipe to get it to work. I spoke with MagnaFlow and they stated it would not void my warranty.
I messed with it long enough and got it to work!

Attachments

• 778B6726-9A0F-4AC8-BA80-358E4B8FBBB5.jpeg
    778B6726-9A0F-4AC8-BA80-358E4B8FBBB5.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 209

Bhbdvm

Reaction score
I messed with it long enough and got it to work!
Without heating the tail pipe and denting/bending I was able to get it to clear temporarily but it quickly moved even with tack welding and would clang when hitting rough spots on the road. That's when I ultimately had to alter the tailpipe. Hopefully, yours will work but I couldn't just adjust I had to alter the pipe

Limbeck

Reaction score

Did that affect the sound at all
Of the muffler?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
Without heating the tail pipe and denting/bending I was able to get it to clear temporarily but it quickly moved even with tack welding and would clang when hitting rough spots on the road. That's when I ultimately had to alter the tailpipe. Hopefully, yours will work but I couldn't just adjust I had to alter the pipe
Oh I have a good half inch of clearance and my magnaflow has been welded in place already as I had to get a muffler shop to help make adjustments on it as I could not get the tips to line up properly by myself.

hallchris80

Reaction score
Could someone please post a picture of the bed step (82215289AB) bolted in place.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll take a pic as soon as it quits storming here. The fit is high and tight. The best I've seen for a step of this type. Only a tiny tab is visable from the side. From the rear it can be seen if you know what your looking for and are viewing from a low position or 30 feet back. It doesn't detract from the look IMHO.

hallchris80

Reaction score
Here's a picture under my truck. I'm guessing the red circled bolt comes out. The blue circle is circling a hole behind the cable harness.
The yellow circle is circling a hole that was empty from the get go. I've tried screwing in a bolt into this hole but I can't tell if it's threaded or not. Perhaps the bolts that came with my kit is too big.

Is this hole I have circled in yellow a threaded hole?

Maybe I should pull the bolt out of the red circle and try it in the tellow circle.

6.jpg

hallchris80

Reaction score
I found the thread you were talking about.

Because the factory bolt was never installed in where the yellow circle is, the threaded hole doesn't line up. I can't get the bolt to start in the hole. :(

Dealer job now.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I found the thread you were talking about.

Because the factory bolt was never installed in where the yellow circle is, the threaded hole doesn't line up. I can't get the bolt to start in the hole. :(

Dealer job now.
I had a pretty hard time getting the bolt nearest the bumper to start in the threads. I had to loosen the other bolts and lift the step up to get the bolt started...no easy task since the step is hefty. It will start but it's not easy. I suspect whichever bolt is the last installed is the hardest to start.

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
Here's a picture under my truck. I'm guessing the red circled bolt comes out. The blue circle is circling a hole behind the cable harness.
The yellow circle is circling a hole that was empty from the get go. I've tried screwing in a bolt into this hole but I can't tell if it's threaded or not. Perhaps the bolts that came with my kit is too big.

Is this hole I have circled in yellow a threaded hole?

Maybe I should pull the bolt out of the red circle and try it in the tellow circle.

View attachment 16960
I had to reuse a factory bolt in that yellow spot because the ones I received with the step would not work there.

Users who are viewing this thread