5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar’s “Ram Airflow” Cold-Air Intake System For Ram 1500:

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks very clean. Did you cut the radiator cover yourself? Love the orange but it needs a coyote duster decal.:)
A friend of mine with a much steadier hand cut the shroud for me. It turned out great. I agree that it needs a decal of some sort

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What's not functional about it? Air scoop from in front of radiator. And our factory goods are already cowl style.
A cowl hood would allow air to be scooped up from the rear of the hood allowing more air into the system. Only so much comes in from the front being 'rammed' into it. Our Mopar style doesn't have a gasket like yours that would snug up against the hood when it is closed. That's what I miss about a true cowl-induction hood.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
How was the install for you, @Dewey?
Very easy. Took about 1.5 hr but I was taking my time. Looking for one of the pushpins I dropped in the engine bay took probably half that time.😆

Figured out later I didn’t need it anyway because two extra were left over after the install.🤨

truckless

Reaction score
Very easy. Took about 1.5 hr but I was taking my time. Looking for one of the pushpins I dropped in the engine bay took probably half that time.😆

Figured out later I didn’t need it anyway because two extra were left over after the install.🤨

Those bolts that replaced those clips were a pain in the ***....if I had monkey arms it might have been better :LOL:

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Those bolts that replaced those clips were a pain in the ***....if I had monkey arms it might have been better :LOL:
I had an issue getting mine started as well. The start of the threads in the bottom half of the bracket was pretty screwy. Took a bit and hard on the back but finally got them started.

CalgaryJohn87

Reaction score
so what are the major differences between the Ram intake and the Vararam intake? Would a Cowl hood have any real impact?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Plus if **** happens, the AirFlow is an Mopar part that they actually provide with the G/Ts. Pretty hard to even try and void any warranties....
It would be hard to void a warranty for any aftermarket intake. There was a post on here s few months ago from a.giy who bought a used truck with the RamAir on it, and his dealer was giving him grief because they considered it an aftermarket part since it wasn't a factory option on his truck.

truckless

Reaction score
It would be hard to void a warranty for any aftermarket intake. There was a post on here s few months ago from a.giy who bought a used truck with the RamAir on it, and his dealer was giving him grief because they considered it an aftermarket part since it wasn't a factory option on his truck.

I did say try ;) AFIAC, the Airflow should be completely exempt from it even being a consideration from a Mopar service center perspective (and that dealer above....I would find a new one lol)

CalgaryJohn87

Reaction score
RamAir is covered, Vararam has a seal to seal to bottom of hood. RamAir looks modern plastic engine cover ish. Vararam looks old school Mopar.
I read the first 32 pages of this thread between last night and this morning. What I gather is I'm either going to blow the doors off a Lambo when the light turns green, OR there's no actually difference except my truck will sound nicer.

What I am curious about tho, if I got either the Vararam or the Ramair, Come fall, when I'm doing 100km/hr and it's -20, is that when these types of Intakes will perform better? Will these actually help my engine or harm it? This will be some frigid air being forced into the engine at a fair speed. I'm not interested in racing, just want to make things as easier on my engine as possible

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I read the first 32 pages of this thread between last night and this morning. What I gather is I'm either going to blow the doors off a Lambo when the light turns green, OR there's no actually difference except my truck will sound nicer.

What I am curious about tho, if I got either the Vararam or the Ramair, Come fall, when I'm doing 100km/hr and it's -20, is that when these types of Intakes will perform better? Will these actually help my engine or harm it? This will be some frigid air being forced into the engine at a fair speed. I'm not interested in racing, just want to make things as easier on my engine as possible
It will make no difference as it blows the doors off the Lambo from the sound...

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

It will not hurt the engine and it won't be any colder air than what the factory intake shoves into the engine.

Big White RAM

Reaction score
That's why I'm glad I bought a "Topside Creeper" years ago to work on my trucks. Saves my back and especially my chest from leaning on the Radiator shroud!

Attachments

• 20220523_111217.jpg
    20220523_111217.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 93

Big White RAM

Reaction score
Oooh baby…. I just found my next must-have accessory!
It's definately a MUST HAVE if your working on trucks. It also extends to reach over the roof which makes detailing so much easier. Folds flat for storage too.

Users who are viewing this thread