5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar’s “Ram Airflow” Cold-Air Intake System For Ram 1500:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
LOL alllllright. I just dont want to f*ck up my chances of getting something handled on a vehicle that has its share of problems happen.

So what did you notice after installing? My primary goal was to help smooth out shifts and make the overall driveability better. I read a few post that it helped for that so that was enough for me. Even if its an ***-dyno..what did you notice?
I can't really say I noticed any difference in the butt Dyno, but my 0-60 times did improve over the factory intake. I drive pretty aggressively to begin with, so probably didn't notice the subtle changes it may have made.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I can't really say I noticed any difference in the butt Dyno, but my 0-60 times did improve over the factory intake. I drive pretty aggressively to begin with, so probably didn't notice the subtle changes it may have made.
I haven't ever checked my 0-60 times on this truck. I haven't really noticed any difference other than to open up a crap load of space on the passenger side of the engine bay. Which is what I was wanting to do. So it's been a complete success for me.

MishMashRAM1500

Reaction score
Went ahead and installed. Unless its mind over matter, it DID seem like it helped acceleration down low as well as smooth out shifts. If thats true, its really sad how choked they make that 5.7.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Went ahead and installed. Unless its mind over matter, it DID seem like it helped acceleration down low as well as smooth out shifts. If thats true, its really sad how choked they make that 5.7.
I am having a hard time understanding the relationship between an air intake and the transmission. Hopefully someone can explain it. 😬

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you disconnected the battery during install, then the PCM reset is what your are feeling, and not a result of the intake.

MishMashRAM1500

Reaction score
I am having a hard time understanding the relationship between an air intake and the transmission. Hopefully someone can explain it. 😬
Dude trust me I do not get the mechanical advantage either. Its all a feel thing. I've worked on cars for years...most recently playing with a non-locking 200-4R in my 62 Nova, swapping converters to get an ideal shift point, etc..and I can't figure it out

MishMashRAM1500

Reaction score
If you disconnected the battery during install, then the PCM reset is what your are feeling, and not a result of the intake.
I did. So you are saying the PCM is basically relearning new parameters? Ok that i'll buy and makes sense. Didnt think of that.

Conch007

Reaction score
I've heard about this and that we will need the sport hood for it, however after looking at the design, I don't see where you would need the sport hood. I'm curious because I'd like a few more ponies for my Ram and all of the aftermarket intakes seem to net less acceleration. I don't care about sound in the least.

I'll gladly drop $1000 for it if we net a true 15-20HP. And I'm not into modding trucks (Sports cars and Fast SUVs yes) so OEM components are what I want. I had a bad *** CAI for my 2014 SRT Jeep when I bought it in 2013. In 2015 I added a $4500 GT Haus (Meisterschaft) exhaust system. My butt dyno told me the Jeep was faster with the mods. However the track timer in the vehicle and at the track told me it was faster bone stock. Now with that ride it was worth it for the sound, but in a truck I use for work, I only care about performance mods that actually increase performance. lol
I didn’t add the sport hood for mine

srmcgaha

Reaction score
And I'm going to be that guy, I'm sure there is some info within the 47 pages of this thread. I know it was mentioned somewhere. All intakes are basically the same, marginal gains performance wise, big gains in looks and sound.
If you look on Vararam's website it says that intake in only for 4th gen Ram's

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yes, you cleared out adaptives in the PCM when you disconnected battery. Now it has to relearn your driving style.
Used to do something similar with my Challenger. If I went through a spell of "normal" driving, I would pull one of the fuses that powered the memory on the PCM (for about 5 minutes I believe), then drive it like I stole it. Instant smiles! 😃

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Looks very clean. Did you cut the radiator cover yourself? Love the orange but it needs a coyote duster decal.:)
Here's mine, and yes, I cut the radiator cover.mtself, and used a heat gun to warm it up and bend it up slightly so it had a gap above the "scoop" for the Vararam. Had a local friend make the lid decal for me, says 5.7L HEMI. The purple overlays we're done by The Overlay Guy

Attachments

• PXL_20220127_225209808.jpg
    PXL_20220127_225209808.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 71
  • PXL_20210523_154841338.jpg
    PXL_20210523_154841338.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 71

Users who are viewing this thread