5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar’s “Ram Airflow” Cold-Air Intake System For Ram 1500:

Reaction score
I couldn't take it any longer and bought the Ram AirFlow CAI. Picked it up online from a Mopar dealer for $755 so it was too good of a deal to pass up (compared to the $900+ at most places). If you're wondering it was Jupiter Chevrolet/Mopar outside of Dallas TX. Now I can't wait for it to arrive and install it. Looks like a simple install and will make some room under the hood. Even if it's not a big increase in the butt dyno, the looks alone are worth it. Any tricks to the install before I read 47 pages of info on this subject?
Disconnect negative terminal right off the bat. When you are finished and reconnect terminal, don’t panic when radio display and a few lights aren’t “right” when you first start truck. They will reset after a few hours and be fine. Work in an area with plenty of light-just in case a few of the tricky bolts drop down in engine bay. Be patient, not an all-day affair. Hour to hour and a half at most. DO FOLLOW DIRECTIONS IN ORDER!
Has made a slight difference in my miles per gallon. Just got back from 1150-mile trip. 22.4 mpg @ 75 mph most of way. And yes, it does look cool!

Rlandon

Reaction score
Disconnect negative terminal right off the bat. When you are finished and reconnect terminal, don’t panic when radio display and a few lights aren’t “right” when you first start truck. They will reset after a few hours and be fine. Work in an area with plenty of light-just in case a few of the tricky bolts drop down in engine bay. Be patient, not an all-day affair. Hour to hour and a half at most. DO FOLLOW DIRECTIONS IN ORDER!
Has made a slight difference in my miles per gallon. Just got back from 1150-mile trip. 22.4 mpg @ 75 mph most of way. And yes, it does look cool!
I have my own workshop out back so tools and light is no problem. This is my 6th Ram over the years. The first being a 1954 with the flathead 6 218. A 94 4x4, supercharged 98 4x4 with every R/T part I could find in it (360), 2003 R/T, 2010, and now the 2021.

Thanks for the info on the performance and hopefully soon I'll have it from the little brown truck and be done.

Attachments

• 54 at 2004 Sunbust.jpg
    54 at 2004 Sunbust.jpg
    353.2 KB · Views: 45

Rlandon

Reaction score
i didnt notice any difference in sound or mpg gains but their is a little more power 40-90 mph pulls
From your signature, I didn't see any exhaust mod to let it and the engine breathe better. You might notice more gains once that is done. That stock 50 lb muffler is suffocating the engine. Mine flows so much better (and MPG gains) with the Magnaflow catback system. It should work even better now with the CAI.

redneck

Reaction score
From your signature, I didn't see any exhaust mod to let it and the engine breathe better. You might notice more gains once that is done. That stock 50 lb muffler is suffocating the engine. Mine flows so much better (and MPG gains) with the Magnaflow catback system. It should work even better now with the CAI.
yeah i have borla cat back sport exhaust just never added it to the sig

Rlandon

Reaction score
My morning project today. Easy install and I definitely like the looks. It's been pouring rain (again) today so really didn't get out to try it. Maybe tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20210702_113947_resized.jpg
    20210702_113947_resized.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 106
  • 20210702_113958_resized.jpg
    20210702_113958_resized.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 107
  • 20210702_114005_resized.jpg
    20210702_114005_resized.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 108

Rlandon

Reaction score
Here's a question that may have been answered but I'll ask anyway. On the kit the part number ends with AA, AB, and AC. What's the difference between the AB and AC? Mine was the AB box so I'm curious what the change was? Mine fit so not worried about it.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Here's a question that may have been answered but I'll ask anyway. On the kit the part number ends with AA, AB, and AC. What's the difference between the AB and AC? Mine was the AB box so I'm curious what the change was? Mine fit so not worried about it.

I received AB myself, and its not supposedly CARB compliant (I received no sticker/label, and my directions when compared with some online are outdated). However, some here have reported they receive CARB stickers with theirs, so maybe they added the CARB compliant sticker (and changed the directions a bit to accommodate that) and updated the part number to AC?

Of course, knowing what Mopar has done in the past, they could have modified the directions and included the sticker (once they received CARB certification) into some AB part numbers as well. They don't always document their changes the best.

Rlandon

Reaction score
I received AB myself, and its not supposedly CARB compliant (I received no sticker/label, and my directions when compared with some online are outdated). However, some here have reported they receive CARB stickers with theirs, so maybe they added the CARB compliant sticker (and changed the directions a bit to accommodate that) and updated the part number to AC?

Of course, knowing what Mopar has done in the past, they could have modified the directions and included the sticker (once they received CARB certification) into some AB part numbers as well. They don't always document their changes the best.
No CARB sticker in mine either but then again I'm not in California so not needed. I left that crazy state in 92.

Huskymush

Reaction score
Can anyone that got the CARB sticker confirm the PN that they got?(AB or AC)

Users who are viewing this thread