5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar’s “Ram Airflow” Cold-Air Intake System For Ram 1500:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So Am finally going to put a cold air intake along with cat back exhaust. Been looking at the oem one an I like the look but in the $850 range not sue I want to spend that. So I looked at the S&B that the guy on Truck Central uses. Also looked at the EFE one witch spec wise pretty good. Anyone want to give some advice. Also looking at doing shorty headers of some kind. The normal cracked manifold and 6 to 7 month wait. May also do the pedal commander. Not looking to get a ton of horespower. Just improver MPG and some performance. I have a 2020 Limited with a 5.7 gas and 4x4. I had the oem stuff on my 2019 Larime 2WD which was 2 truck ago and loved the sound and feel. Also didn't mind the 22 MPG on the highway.
Not going to improve fuel mileage with any of those things. Shorty headers will be only thing that may give you some better performance.

Might also want to check out Vararam for intakes.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah I'm with HSKR about fuel economy. I will say I love the look and notice a difference with the OEM CAI. It definitely made the stock exhaust more noticeable. I had the S&B in my 4th Gen and it was a nice quality piece I would consider again. I'm running the OEM CAI, Carven full exhaust, Edge Pulsar and Pedal Commander. It feels good. I might be doing Shorty's soon, because of the manifold BS and I don't want to tune for long tubes. I'm just trying to figure out between all the bad reviews on all Shorty's, which to go with AFE or JBA because Kook's are crazy priced!!!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah I'm with HSKR about fuel economy. I will say I love the look and notice a difference with the OEM CAI. It definitely made the stock exhaust more noticeable. I had the S&B in my 4th Gen and it was a nice quality piece I would consider again. I'm running the OEM CAI, Carven full exhaust, Edge Pulsar and Pedal Commander. It feels good. I might be doing Shorty's soon, because of the manifold BS and I don't want to tune for long tubes. I'm just trying to figure out between all the bad reviews on all Shorty's, which to go with AFE or JBA because Kook's are crazy priced!!!
With the Pulsar, set it to economy. I actually did get about 1.5mpg better in city driving with it set to economy, before I went to 35" tires. Now with the 35's it doesn't really matter. Then switch it to Performance when at highway speeds. Cause I get slightly better mpg in Performance mode cruising at 65-70mph.

papjuice

Reaction score
So is this the intake yo used. 2020 RAM 1500 Vararam VR-HEMI-O VaraRam VR Air Grabber Ram Air Induction Systems | Summit Racing

Or is it this one. 2020 RAM 1500 Vararam VR-HEMI-T VaraRam VR Air Grabber Ram Air Induction Systems | Summit Racing

I'm leaning toward one of these or the S&B one. I know I'm fixing to do Cat Back Either OEM or Borla. Will also look at the Shorty headers and like CHeYeNNe71 said. it will be trying to figure out which one. So many opinions. Think I'm going to try the Pedal Commander first. Not sure of the Pulsar yet, wondering about warranty. Still have about 45,000 left on extended factory warranty. I always remember when I worked on MB's if you did anything to a computer they shut down your warranty. don't want that.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So is this the intake yo used. 2020 RAM 1500 Vararam VR-HEMI-O VaraRam VR Air Grabber Ram Air Induction Systems | Summit Racing

Or is it this one. 2020 RAM 1500 Vararam VR-HEMI-T VaraRam VR Air Grabber Ram Air Induction Systems | Summit Racing

I'm leaning toward one of these or the S&B one. I know I'm fixing to do Cat Back Either OEM or Borla. Will also look at the Shorty headers and like CHeYeNNe71 said. it will be trying to figure out which one. So many opinions. Think I'm going to try the Pedal Commander first. Not sure of the Pulsar yet, wondering about warranty. Still have about 45,000 left on extended factory warranty. I always remember when I worked on MB's if you did anything to a computer they shut down your warranty. don't want that.
Pulsar has zero effect on warranty. If you are concerned, just remove it before taking it in to dealer. It leaves zero trace, other than the dealer seeing the battery was disconnected. There would be same risk using pedal commander.

As for the Vararam intakes, AFAIK, there is only one style for the 5th Gen RAM. Your first link is for the classic trucks. Not sure if it can be made to work, as designed, with the 5th gen. Here is a better source for the correct Vararam.

Entellex

Reaction score
How much of a difference is the sound of the Mopar Ram Airflow vs the Stock Intake. Does it sound better than other Cold Air Intakes like K&N, S&B, etc?

S281

Reaction score
Trooper4 said:
Y'all might want to check the local laws pertaining to parts designated "off road use only" for liability issues. If you are involved in an accident, and you have those parts installed, your *** might be hanging' out a mile if someone wants to take you to court.
Just a thought.

Lolololol this is literally the dumbest thing I’ve heard in a long time. I seriously can’t believe there are people this paranoid out there. You need to be on anxiety medication. Man I needed a good laugh today

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Trooper4 said:
Y'all might want to check the local laws pertaining to parts designated "off road use only" for liability issues. If you are involved in an accident, and you have those parts installed, your *** might be hanging' out a mile if someone wants to take you to court.
Just a thought.

Lolololol this is literally the dumbest thing I’ve heard in a long time. I seriously can’t believe there are people this paranoid out there. You need to be on anxiety medication. Man I needed a good laugh today
And Biden said 🤪🤔🤔🤪🤔🤔🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡

Entellex

Reaction score
Has anyone used the Vararam Air Grabber with the Sports Hood? I am not so sure if both regular and sports hood have the same underneath. Trying to make sure it will still seal, before purchasing the Vararam.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Has anyone used the Vararam Air Grabber with the Sports Hood? I am not so sure if both regular and sports hood have the same underneath. Trying to make sure it will still seal, before purchasing the Vararam.
Mine seals on the passenger side well, the driver side not so much. The bottom of the hood is not symmetrical like the top and the Vararam is.
I tested it by wetting the seal and closing the hood to see how it gets the hood wet.

I don't know if it seals better on the regular hood, but I wouldn't call it a seal on the sports hood, but probably good enough.

I kinda wonder how the Ramair one fits seal wise, I think it's more of an contained unit

Entellex

Reaction score
Mine seals on the passenger side well, the driver side not so much. The bottom of the hood is not symmetrical like the top and the Vararam is.
I tested it by wetting the seal and closing the hood to see how it gets the hood wet.

I don't know if it seals better on the regular hood, but I wouldn't call it a seal on the sports hood, but probably good enough.

I kinda wonder how the Ramair one fits seal wise, I think it's more of an contained unit
Yeah, the Ram Airflow has a cover for it, so the hood doesn't matter. I might just have to go with the Mopar Ram Airflow just to be safe.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yeah, the Ram Airflow has a cover for it, so the hood doesn't matter. I might just have to go with the Mopar Ram Airflow just to be safe.
I mean it 100% works. I don't think either would make any kind of meaningful difference. I got the Vararam because it an cheap "upgrade". It was $340 vs $850. I don't think the other one is worth more then twice the price. The quality of the Vararam is low compared (the filter itself is good quality) to other brands I have used like k&n and Airaid but it's cheaper too.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone discovered if there is a K&N Washable filter for the RAM Airflow Intake? I'd like to replace the filter as it is due...but would like a K&N Option of some sort.

I attempted to search this thread but no luck as the search function by thread is not that great. Thanks!
They're already washable/reusable. Why replace?

1700505109492.png

Users who are viewing this thread