5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar’s “Ram Airflow” Cold-Air Intake System For Ram 1500:

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score

CobraKai

Reaction score
No we are all inquiring about the Mopar ram air replacement filter. Glad the intake did well in the snow, my wife just drove my truck in a storm for an hour im going to go look under the hood now and check!

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No we are all inquiring about the Mopar ram air replacement filter. Glad the intake did well in the snow, my wife just drove my truck in a storm for an hour im going to go look under the hood now and check!

I was happy to see no snow in there!

Here's what sparked my curiosity a while ago, not my image, the Vararam design that's sorta like the Ram Air:
vararam snow.jpg

I'm going to guess that this was due to the chute design. The ram air seems more "closed".
There isn't an installed chute feeding everything directly in the filter.

Or hey maybe it was just dumb luck that this ultra sticky sideways snow after an hour didn't collect!
VERY interested to see others results.

CobraKai

Reaction score
That's interesting, glad I didn't go with the vararam then I guess being in the northeast. I'm going to assume the Mopar engineers did a better job trying to protect the intake filter area because I didn't see anything like that under my hood today thankfully.

Bwsteg

Reaction score
I wasn’t aware of the potential snow issue. However what’s the reason why snow is accumulating inside the bay? How does it get inside?

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Saw it in the 4th gen forums fairly often. That is why I went S&B for my 2014 back in the day.
One could argue that its actually not a flaw, but a benefit, as it is channeling the air more directly... only problem is that also includes channeling stuff (like snow) that the air may bring with it.

No problems with my Ram Airflow intake either, and it went through two snowstorms so far this year. We will have another (or more) before end of April, almost always do.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Saw it in the 4th gen forums fairly often. That is why I went S&B for my 2014 back in the day.
One could argue that its actually not a flaw, but a benefit, as it is channeling the air more directly... only problem is that also includes channeling stuff (like snow) that the air may bring with it.

No problems with my Ram Airflow intake either, and it went through two snowstorms so far this year. We will have another (or more) before end of April, almost always do.

The vararam's scoop is super effective at grabbing air.
I chose the Ram Air over it for 3 reasons
1) Mopar
2) It's "closed" (From hot air)
3) The snow scoop winter concerns. (Bonus: I don't think Mopar would have gone with a design that would do that. Customer freakout and lawsuit potential is too high I think)

Negatives:
Cost
I'm guessing it doesn't pull as much air with no scoop.

But for me, seeing the clean intake? Very pleased.
To me it solves the 3 negatives of the Vararam, (at greater cost).
Closed to hot air, Mopar made, better sealed to snow.

dacm99

Reaction score
I ordered mine on eBay. No tax and free shipping. Also you can make an offer.

The seller is also the dealer that I bought my truck from. They were good people. One of the few dealers that are not dishonest.

jai91

Reaction score

DeepH2ODriller

Reaction score
Has anybody utilized all the extra room, in spot where stock air box was, with something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anybody utilized all the extra room, in spot where stock air box was, with something?

Installed Accessory battery.
1614223406079.png

fbatwork

Reaction score

I threw my compressor inside the factory air box for the rear air bags - decided on that over a second battery...

b1b89d4ad857707b23ba199367096ccd.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Eric_N

Reaction score
Questions about the intake. Is there anything that needs to be done after installing it? As far as sensors go? I was reading some reviews and one person said initial test was great but couldn’t wait till the sensors cleared. Not sure what he meant by that.

I installed the Mopar CAI after installing a Borla type s exhaust. However I’m not not impressed. Maybe I had higher expectations. It almost feels sluggish when I step on the gas which it wasn’t before.

could be nothing however I checked the sensor and it’s plugged it and installed correctly so not sure. Has anyone experienced this?

CobraKai

Reaction score
Questions about the intake. Is there anything that needs to be done after installing it? As far as sensors go? I was reading some reviews and one person said initial test was great but couldn’t wait till the sensors cleared. Not sure what he meant by that.

I installed the Mopar CAI after installing a Borla type s exhaust. However I’m not not impressed. Maybe I had higher expectations. It almost feels sluggish when I step on the gas which it wasn’t before.

could be nothing however I checked the sensor and it’s plugged it and installed correctly so not sure. Has anyone experienced this?
I didn't have any codes, lights, or issues after install. Definitely doesn't feel more sluggish, if anything a little more peppy but nothing crazy. Just looks and sounds nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online