5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar’s “Ram Airflow” Cold-Air Intake System For Ram 1500:

kliffy77

Reaction score
The 5.7 HEMI responds very well to a quality CAI & Cat Back Exhaust you will be impressed With the driving experience & horsepowe & torque gain.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 5.7 HEMI responds very well to a quality CAI & Cat Back Exhaust you will be impressed With the driving experience & horsepowe & torque gain.
I've always wondered how a CAI/Ram would affect the engine in a hot as hell environment. Like...would it help at all when it's +100°F outside...?

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've always wondered how a CAI/Ram would affect the engine in a hot as hell environment. Like...would it help at all when it's +100°F outside...?
From my experience so far it is still better than stock, but the HEMI is not as perky like in cooler temps.

It actually drives more like it did with the stock air box.

Perhaps still better throttle response but takes more to get into the power-band phase in these +100°F temperature days.

kliffy77

Reaction score

I live in the hottest place on earth and believe me I noticed a big difference with CAI & Cat-Back exhaust.

Last edited:

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
If you want to eliminate ALL throttle lag, buy a PEDAL COMMANDER ;) Can you imagine what it would be like to have both a CAI AND a PC? Must be heaven:ROFLMAO:

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Says the man who does not have a CAI or RAM Airflow.. :rolleyes:
Correct...but a "man" with a ton of CAI experience. Like I said, and ALL I said above, the PC will, without a doubt, remove ALL throttle lag. A CAI will not and that is a FACT. Maybe the two in tandem will give you the perfect truck :unsure:

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Correct...but a "man" with a ton of CAI experience. Like I said, and ALL I said above, the PC will, without a doubt, remove ALL throttle lag. A CAI will not and that is a FACT. Maybe the two in tandem will give you the perfect truck :unsure:
As I have stated previously, the RAM Airflow is not just a CAI, and it did improve my throttle lag. (y)

I'm sure both will be a perfect match. Let me know when you pull that trigger. :unsure:

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
As I have stated previously, the RAM Airflow is not just a CAI, and it did improve my throttle lag. (y)

I'm sure both will be a perfect match. Let me know when you pull that trigger. :unsure:
Now you're starting to understand my friend:p I don't plan on buying one as the cost far outweighs the benefits and I don't drive with my hood open so everyone can see my cool CAI so I can assure you that won't happen;) What I said above, that cannot be disputed, is that a CAI alone will not remove throttle lag. It may make it a bit better and, as you said, you are seeing "improved" response and you can feel a difference. However, if folks are looking to eliminate ALL lag, and increase performance slightly, this combo may be worth looking at. It's only an issue of money and if you see the value in both or one over another. Based on my thoughts, and that of most members that have a PC, or equivalent device (Sprint), a PC will WAKE the he** out of your truck like nothing else. The CAI alone, will not do that. Before the PC, my truck was not very fun to drive...5 minutes later after plugging in the PC, it was like HOLY ****, this truck is a BLAST and puts a smile on my face every time!!!

That's all I'm sayin.....

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Now you're starting to understand my friend:p I don't plan on buying one as the cost far outweighs the benefits and I don't drive with my hood open so everyone can see my cool CAI so I can assure you that won't happen;) What I said above, that cannot be disputed, is that a CAI alone will not remove throttle lag. It may make it a bit better and, as you said, you are seeing "improved" response and you can feel a difference. However, if folks are looking to eliminate ALL lag, and increase performance slightly, this combo may be worth looking at. It's only an issue of money and if you see the value in both or one over another. Based on my thoughts, and that of most members that have a PC, or equivalent device (Sprint), a PC will WAKE the he** out of your truck like nothing else. The CAI alone, will not do that. Before the PC, my truck was not very fun to drive...5 minutes later after plugging in the PC, it was like HOLY ****, this truck is a BLAST and puts a smile on my face every time!!!

That's all I'm sayin.....
I'm glad you are enjoying your truck as much as I am. :p

We will see if you change your mind after @goalieken post the before and after dyno results on his RAM Airflow install. ;)

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm glad you are enjoying your truck as much as I am. :p

We will see if you change your mind after @goalieken post the before and after dyno results on his RAM Airflow install. ;)
Regardless of what the the DYNO shows, you will not find me paying $750 for a CAI. I don't keep trucks long...maybe 2-3 years tops. I have less then 8000 miles on my truck and it is 18 months old. I am looking at the RAM TRX for 2022 and, maybe, a RIVIAN or Lordestown all electric truck...not sure as things change so quickly, but it will very nice and loaded!

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Regardless of what the the DYNO shows, you will not find me paying $750 for a CAI. I don't keep trucks long...maybe 2-3 years tops. I have less then 8000 miles on my truck and it is 18 months old. I am looking at the RAM TRX for 2022 and, maybe, a RIVIAN or Lordestown all electric truck...not sure as things change so quickly, but it will very nice and loaded!
If you end up buying a RAM TRX keep me or your short list when you decide to trade up. :p

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
If you end up buying a RAM TRX keep me or your short list when you decide to trade up. :p
Will do...I am VERY anal about my vehicles. My truck is LOADED ($70K MSRP) and who ever buys it will be getting an awesome truck with every option you can think of...and several add-on accessories like an $1800 RETRAX cover:)

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Will do...I am VERY anal about my vehicles. My truck is LOADED ($70K MSRP) and who ever buys it will be getting an awesome truck with every option you can think of...and several add-on accessories like an $1800 RETRAX cover:)
I was actually referring to the purchase of the TRX when or if you go that direction. ;)

As for the Retrax I agree it is the best cover and security for our trucks. (y)

That was one of the reasons that I went with a Quad cab so that I would have a larger bed 6'4" to account for the roll-up space taken by the cover. :geek:

Patriot_Shield_Above.jpg

Hallbag

Reaction score
Not to jump in between two folks because what you do with your trucks to make YOU happy is your business and we should all stop caring. But to @rampatriot, i have posted dyno results before and after which you dismissed so why now are you waiting for goalieken? Also I get your point about Ramair being different than CAI but that can’t be related to throttle response. For it to be doing what “ramAir” does you need, well, Air and you don’t have nearly sufficient air starting at a stop light or from 0-30/50/60 etc.

Again, i have the air intake AND pedal commander. I bought the intake and mopar catback hoping for gains, which i saw very little on the dyno (did a full review further back). Tuning shop and I went into it and it’s because the ecu uses a torque curve. Any additional airflow is then negated by the ecu. I think if you get a tune, you’re likely to start seeing the gains but without tweaking that torque curve, i don’t see much happening. I got the PC because it DOES affect throttle response very directly. I’m using it until I stop being a baby and go with a jay Greene tune to unlock all the potential. The PC i highly recommend as a fairly cheap mod to have fun (but obviously no gains). The mopar catback and ramair are great for sound, hopefully will be great with tune (also heard that new trx hood might have real ramair built into that hood scoop? Sweet). Everyone should be happy to spend your money as you see fit, I just jumped in because when I gave you the dyno results you said “you won’t see it in a dyno because...” but now it seems you’re looking to goalieken for his dyno results.

NOLA Rick

Reaction score
Why is it that some folks refuse to believe repeatable empirical dyno data showing the MOPAR ram air CAI performance, or lack thereof? I've read every page of this thread and it's the same ol' pissing match. Empirical data or please stop making baseless and speculative claims about your CAI's performance improvements. Since the ECU solely determines the engine performance, which necessarily includes throttle response, it is simply not possible for you to experience increased throttle response with a CAI and without a tune. The data is what the data is. What you are experiencing is called placebo effect; but your CAI looks cool.

But let's assume, for the sake of argument, that you the CAI gives a 12 HP gain off idle and at around town speeds. In a 5.5K pound truck, you're not going to be able to discern a 12 HP difference in throttle response or overall performance with your butt dyno. Let's further assume that the CAI gives you a 10% improvement in HP over stock. In that case it's possible you may note what you discern to be an improvement in throttle response due to additional HP, however, the likelihood that your derriere is finely tuned enough to register a 40 HP gain on a 5.5K pound truck is dang close to zilch. In the latter scenario, there is still no actual difference in throttle response because the ECU will not allow it.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not to jump in between two folks because what you do with your trucks to make YOU happy is your business and we should all stop caring. But to @rampatriot, i have posted dyno results before and after which you dismissed so why now are you waiting for goalieken? Also I get your point about Ramair being different than CAI but that can’t be related to throttle response. For it to be doing what “ramAir” does you need, well, Air and you don’t have nearly sufficient air starting at a stop light or from 0-30/50/60 etc.

Again, i have the air intake AND pedal commander. I bought the intake and mopar catback hoping for gains, which i saw very little on the dyno (did a full review further back). Tuning shop and I went into it and it’s because the ecu uses a torque curve. Any additional airflow is then negated by the ecu. I think if you get a tune, you’re likely to start seeing the gains but without tweaking that torque curve, i don’t see much happening. I got the PC because it DOES affect throttle response very directly. I’m using it until I stop being a baby and go with a jay Greene tune to unlock all the potential. The PC i highly recommend as a fairly cheap mod to have fun (but obviously no gains). The mopar catback and ramair are great for sound, hopefully will be great with tune (also heard that new trx hood might have real ramair built into that hood scoop? Sweet). Everyone should be happy to spend your money as you see fit, I just jumped in because when I gave you the dyno results you said “you won’t see it in a dyno because...” but now it seems you’re looking to goalieken for his dyno results.
Sharing a direct link to your post for reference by all. Thanks.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score

@Hallbag, I'm not dismissing your dyno.

Perhaps you did not see my response to @goalieken:
"I can't wait to see the results.

Make sure they have a good size fan blowing on the front of the truck for added pressure to simulate driving."

I'm hoping that they place a high powered fan in front of the truck to simulate real driving conditions to realize the pressures created by the movement of the truck as air is forced into the intake.

I agree that a tune will actualize more of the air/fuel ratio that is available with the RAM Airflow. (y)

What I'm saying with the stock PCM after you unplug the battery during install. The PCM will take up to 200-250 miles to re-learn and adapt to the new air/fuel ratio. ;)

If the TRX hood will fit on my truck I will definitely be interested. (y)

Hallbag

Reaction score
Yeah fan was blowing, I even had them jack it up to be directly inline because believe me, I was excited and trying for anything.

My guy at the dealership said he heard there was a rumor of a new gasket kit that would seal the ramair against the trx hood. So you remove the cover, add the gasket, it seals against the hood and then the scoop feeds air directly in. Not sure how they protect against rain though?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online