5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LUYED LED- New (Frugal) LED Reverse Light.

Ksiegel9

Reaction score
LUYED Reverse Light

Tapped into the 7 pin with supplied T connectors. 3M taped (supplied) to the bottom of the receiver.

6b00900f5d66a16252f89cb8e2641ed2.jpg
bbf0855b7f938b2c98003424dbad0955.jpg
c8d6ced6532efda9341130596903eb5a.jpg
f074178d53ee8f25db87a9ac6ead1793.jpg
709e6ed8e4d48f09b411d22756295a66.jpg
c7bdf6136d0d62dc95fe27edb733b075.jpg
aa586ec467bb11c8e9aa249d341c8707.jpg

Install:

-Look at your 7pin and look in behind your bumper.

-Disconnect your 7 pin by releasing the black push tab (clockwise 2 oclock position)

-Disconnect gray wire cover by depressing two gray push tabs and release

-Cut away stock black tape to reveal wires.

- Use T connector for 7 pin White Wire (ground) and black wire: 7 pin 7 oclock position

-Use T connector for 7 pin black wire (power reverse) and red wire : 7 pin center positon

Tape back up with electrical tape to protect and mount where desired with supplied 3M double sided tape. Use alcohol to clean area good.

* helpful tip- wires with LED are 20ga. Double up on the (fold over exposed wire) within the T connectors. Better contact.
** Always test the light before taping everything back up and mounting.

9c4f5abf986b116e40a150438b900129.jpg
1133671d4198ddf94403eb3785020987.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do they still make these? Can’t find them and wanted to do this mod for my 2020

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do they still make these? Can’t find them and wanted to do this mod for my 2020

philodog

Reaction score
Installed two of these, one on each side of the hitch bottom. Fantastic results. I might use a few of these for bed lights.

Did you connect the power wires for the two lights together so you tap into the wiring harness only once or did you tap two separate power wires into the harness?

philodog

Reaction score
Any tips on getting the 7 pin connector out? I am pushing the pushtab at 2 oclock in and prying on the connector as hard as I feel comfortable with, it being plastic, but it doesn't seem to budge at all.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Any tips on getting the 7 pin connector out? I am pushing the pushtab at 2 oclock in and prying on the connector as hard as I feel comfortable with, it being plastic, but it doesn't seem to budge at all.
The easiest way for me was pushing the whole thing out through the bumper and then it was cake removing the 7pin from it. IIRC, squeeze the two metal tabs and it should push through fairly easy.

philodog

Reaction score
The easiest way for me was pushing the whole thing out through the bumper and then it was cake removing the 7pin from it. IIRC, squeeze the two metal tabs and it should push through fairly easy.
Got it , thanks! Much easier working on it from the back rather than under the truck. I kept trying to disconnect it by pushing the plastic pushtab and pulling it towards the front of the truck. Don't know why OP suggested that way. Now it doesn't even need to be disconnected. Just had to cut the ziptie holding the wires to get more of the harness out the back.

cjh0702

Reaction score
I finally did this mod. Install was pretty straightforward with the 5 pin Curt connector. Couldn't be happier with how it turned out. The difference is night and day (pun intended).

Attachments

• IMG_0890 copy.jpg
    IMG_0890 copy.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0891 copy.jpg
    IMG_0891 copy.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 125

saylor

Reaction score
im in the club now but used nilights and a hitch bracket with the curt 5 pin flat adapter
20210124_133934.jpg

the curt 7 pin harness adapter with 5 pin flat made it super easy and clean. the hitch bracket is cheap chineseium and i had to bend the top piece to fit over the lip on the hitch, but once it is bolted down its real snug to the square it pinches on pretty good
20210124_122019.jpg
undo the stock 7 pin round trailer plug from under the bumper. theres a catch around 2 and 7 oclock ish either side you have to wrestle. then stab the curt adapter right where you took off the stock 7 pin. tie up your wires and good to go.

20210124_125823.jpg
so fresh and so clean clean

Nsm42

Reaction score
im in the club now but used nilights and a hitch bracket with the curt 5 pin flat adapter
View attachment 80586

the curt 7 pin harness adapter with 5 pin flat made it super easy and clean. the hitch bracket is cheap chineseium and i had to bend the top piece to fit over the lip on the hitch, but once it is bolted down its real snug to the square it pinches on pretty good
View attachment 80587
undo the stock 7 pin round trailer plug from under the bumper. theres a catch around 2 and 7 oclock ish either side you have to wrestle. then stab the curt adapter right where you took off the stock 7 pin. tie up your wires and good to go.

View attachment 80588
so fresh and so clean clean
Your set up looks great! Would you have a link to the adapters that you used?

saylor

Reaction score
i forgot about this post hang on ill get the P/Ns of what i had.

tbh the lights I had to adjust way out from this original position but i like em now that i moved them out more it was too narrow like this i had to aim them out sideways more so the beams were wider

saylor

Reaction score

Lonwin 2'' Tow Light Bracket Steel Tow Hitch Mounting Bracket fit for Truck Trailer RV SUV Pick Up Fit for Dual LED Work Light Driving Lighting Reverse Rear Back Up Off Road​

Nilight - 60001F-B Led Pods 2PCS 18W 1260LM Flood Led Off Road Lights Super Bright Driving Fog Light Boat Lights Driving Lights Led Work Light for Trucks, 2 Years Warranty​

CURT 56584 Replacement Vehicle-Side Custom USCAR 5-Pin Trailer Wiring Harness​

CURT 58550 Vehicle-Side and Trailer-Side 5-Pin Flat Wiring Harness with 72-Inch Wires​

PrettyElephants

Reaction score
I wanted to say thank you to all of you for this suggestion. When it warms up a bit I'll readjust to point more toward the corners. I used the Curt 56584 harness, Tirol 5-way harness and a couple waterproof wire nuts. Took longer to figure out how to get the cover off to get to the tools to lower the spare tire than to do the install. Broke the cover. :(

Attachments

• lights.png
    lights.png
    647.3 KB · Views: 142

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
LUYED Reverse Light

Tapped into the 7 pin with supplied T connectors. 3M taped (supplied) to the bottom of the receiver.

9c4f5abf986b116e40a150438b900129.jpg

Please tell me that you did not use that RED wire tap on the exterior of your vehicle??? HUGE NO NO!

768mph

Reaction score
Please tell me that you did not use that RED wire tap on the exterior of your vehicle??? HUGE NO NO!

Please stop yelling, calm down guy.

I wrapped everything with electrical tape thoroughly and sectioned small zip ties down the loom to prevent unwrapping. Also zip tied and tucked away.

All good.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Please stop yelling, calm down guy.

I wrapped everything with electrical tape thoroughly and sectioned small zip ties down the loom to prevent unwrapping. Also zip tied and tucked away.
First off...not yelling...only making a VERY IMPORTANT POINT! Secondly, electrical tape will not prevent moisture from getting inside. You should solder and shrink wrap when making external connections. Your truck...just sharing with you that, not only are those connectors NOT for outdoor use, they are extremely unreliable ways to tap wires together regardless. If you're happy, that's fine. If anything, my message is being read by others so that they don't make the same mistake ;) My philosophy is if you don't have the proper tools or equipment to do it right, then buy what you need or don't do it at all. Soldering irons and solder is super cheap and Amazon has tons of shrink tubing and solder shrink tubing for peanuts. Just sayin' for those looking to do any wiring, inside your truck or out:)

saylor

Reaction score
i have to 2nd this - those taps that cut into the wire are sketchy.

id peel that back out and put a gel filled or melty glue butt connector there and put your factory wire back together, and shrink heat wrap the splice, then electrical tape the harness back up.

then grab the wire you need via the plug interface proper like.

768mph

Reaction score
First off...not yelling...only making a VERY IMPORTANT POINT! Secondly, electrical tape will not prevent moisture from getting inside. You should solder and shrink wrap when making external connections. Your truck...just sharing with you that, not only are those connectors NOT for outdoor use, they are extremely unreliable ways to tap wires together regardless. If you're happy, that's fine. If anything, my message is being read by others so that they don't make the same mistake ;) My philosophy is if you don't have the proper tools or equipment to do it right, then buy what you need or don't do it at all. Soldering irons and solder is super cheap and Amazon has tons of shrink tubing and solder shrink tubing for peanuts. Just sayin' for those looking to do any wiring, inside your truck or out:)

Thanks, I’ve been doing this for decades. I’ve done more to it than just “taping and ties.”

I’ve just shared how I’ve done it; several ways to skin a cat. Others can follow whichever advice they wish to follow. This is not a permanent modification as I have other plans to improve the rear lighting.

Have a good one.

Users who are viewing this thread