5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lowered 5th gens?

Hurley

Reaction score
I can tell you that if you go with a performance cat back you will probably run into clearance issues on the drivers side tail pipe. I had to cut off the top part of the track bar mount and it still hits. Waiting till spring to get new tail pipes bent

U

User_67930

It works fine with the stock exhaust, so if you wanted an aftermaket exhaust you could do something like the B2 Fab that uses the stock over axle pipes and there would be no problems.

Hurley

Reaction score
It works fine with the stock exhaust, so if you wanted an aftermaket exhaust you could do something like the B2 Fab that uses the stock over axle pipes and there would be no problems.
Too late. Cut that stock off

Clv22p

Reaction score
What are the Black wheels in the first pic? Did you leave the 3/5 drop on it?
I spent a good hour searching his history earlier to see if he ever posted about them. Couldn’t find it, but did find a picture close enough to figure out they were Black Rhinos.
The model is Kunene.

I believe the part number is with his offset (+10) is

2295KUN106140M12​

LoRAM

Reaction score
I spent a good hour searching his history earlier to see if he ever posted about them. Couldn’t find it, but did find a picture close enough to figure out they were Black Rhinos.
The model is Kunene.

I believe the part number is with his offset (+10) is

2295KUN106140M12​

Black Rhino Kunene’s is correct. They were Matte black and milled with a tinted clearcoat.

LoRAM

Reaction score
Just swapped it out the other week for a ReadyLift level with 305/55/22 View attachment 114970
I posted this just a week after I had leveled it, and then the day after posting this I traded it in for a ‘22 EcoDiesel! Had it leveled before I even picked it up from the dealership, and added some Hostiles and 33x12.5x22 just last week.

1642815270102.jpeg

NoMoreV4

Reaction score
I plan on lowering my Longhorn when it arrives. Ill take measurements to see exactly how much I want to lower the rear only. Even though it is 4WD, I don't think Ill ever use it. I have never put my 2019 in 4WD and drove it. Its almost three years now. So, with that being said, you have to understand what your intentions are with your truck before you lower it. I want my new Longhorn to be a luxury truck with a sport feel. It will have OEM 22" wheels, sway bar upgrades, 3.92 LS gears. I'm in the South so no snow...rarely. I never off road. I know it will NEVER be the 2005 SRT-10 I once had and DEEPLY miss.

I called a distributor for rear coils. Sells the ones all of you are using. Why do you think they sell the springs and/with these air bag helpers? Because there are TO MANY OEM variations to the springs used on our Rams. GO look at the fiche for your year Ram. I counted FIFTY variations of springs for a 2022. Why, because the OEM tunes the suspension for not just 2/4 WD, Size and weight of vehicle. They tune for the options you order. Gas tank, towing, size of bed, trim level, etc. AND AND, you ever notice that the spring part numbers on your JEEP/RAM are different left/right? I called out this dealer and asked him, This is CRAZY that you think this one spring will PROPERLY fit so many different models/variations. I call BS. That's why they sell the air bag. To compensate.

You ever read the reviews? Really read them? 70% say that they love them. Then you will see a few complain about the ride. Sponginess, unstable at high speeds, may sway more than stock. That doesn't worry you? Raises a RED flag for me. I used to tune suspensions in the 80's on GM F bodies. The days of Herb Adams. Engineer for GM. You never buy a generic spring and just use it in your vehicle. It needs to properly match your intended operation and maintain the OEM suspension geometry. The ONLY proper way to lower a vehicle is to remove the springs and have a spring shop reverse engineer the spring. They will calculate the height, rate, travel and all other specs that they need to duplicate the coil exactly. Then they come up with a lowering spring. You can and most likely have two different rates left to right.

So, I had a 2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport and I removed the entire suspension and installed the OEM Rubicon suspension. Shocks and all. It took me a week to figure out all the part numbers and then properly install the springs in the correct locations as they were different. Really cant do that with the Ram. Id have to use the Rebel stuff and that would raise the truck.

So, how do we lower the rear just an inch or two MAXIMUM and not screw up what the engineers have designed? I think we can get away with cutting the coils using the 2:1 rule. I haven't pulled the coils yet because I don't have the truck. ONLY if the top is open ended, we can measure total height. If we want to drop 1.5 inches, you measure down the coil by rotating it until the spring hits the desired height 1/2 of your desired drop. So, you may just need to cut a 1/2 coil or less. This will increase rate but subtly. This what I will be doing. It is way safer and keeps the OEM springs near the way they came from the factory. The truck is just to damn expensive to install generic parts especially if you drive aggressive. I like to fly around turns....

I mean, do what you want. Your truck. Im making you all aware. But, I am not using those aftermarket springs just to do a 1.5" drop. This mod takes about 2 hours and is free. The dealer will NEVER know you cut them....

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
lol you cut coils when you’re in high school.

And I thought the long horns came standard with air suspension?

No coils

And the maxtrac springs are designed for their intended use on the ram.

I have zero complaints even when hauling my motorcycles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NoMoreV4

Reaction score
Air suspension is optional. Cutting coils, to do subtle changes is OK to do only if the coil type allows it. Nothing drastic. We are talking an inch or two of ride height.

Like I said, if you are comfortable using them, go for it. But you CANNOT make one set of springs for all of the options the OEM specifies. Go look at the parts fiche. Look at the part numbers on the coils you removed. You think Maxtrac compensates for a coil if you have a 23 gallon or 33 gallon gas tank? The OEM does...

Clv22p

Reaction score
No complaints on mine with the Maxtrac spring. I cannot tell any difference even trying my hardest to find fault. Ride is equal to stock with the spring clocked correctly.

I have not loaded it with much weight though. Maybe 300 lbs

NoMoreV4

Reaction score
Good to know. Ive got a bunch of emails out to manufactures. I guess what Im seeing is that Maxtrac springs is for 2WD only. Its Pro-Suspension that has listings for 2WD and 4WD. That is whats confusing me.

PS 2018 Model 2WD 272720
PS 2018 Model 4WD 272920
PS 2019 - Up Model 2WD 272720-19
PS 2019 - Up Model 4WD 272920-19

Maxtrac just has a listing for 2WD on their site. Im wondering if they are the same company.

So, I just got an email from Pro-Suspension. They said they same thing I mentioned in the above thread....

"These rear coils are based on a standard coil and there is no way to take account for every iteration from Fiat as they make rolling changes and sub models change so much. We have found them to be a very good setup on most trucks. In your case you may want to look into something more specific and high end like a coilover setup or tuned suspension from Spohn Motorsports."

DOES anyone have a picture they can post of any OEM stock rear coil out of a 5th Gen 4WD Ram? I just want to see how it looks. Thanks!

Last edited:
U

User_67930

I had the MaxTrac rear level springs on mine for awhile with no complaints and they have them listed for 2wd and 4wd.
I hauled over 1400lbs in the bed with those Maxtrac springs with NO airbags and never bottomed out, I also towed over a ton of gravel several times with zero problems on those MaxTrac springs.

Do what you want, its your truck. But if you want to do it the easy way and not hack the stock springs just get the MaxTracs.... don't over think it.

Users who are viewing this thread