5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lowered 5th gens?

Swayze

Reaction score
Thats originally an ORP truck.
maxtrac struts up front, with a cut ORP coil (the ORP coils make the truck sit ~1” higher than “stock”). I’d have to go out in the cold to measure exact ride height on front end now; I can’t remember right off.

Out back are Timbergrove CRM 6Low bags. The rear will bottom out on the 4link tab between axle and frame, I’d have to add IHC’s cut kit to get the rear any lower.
Plus whatever supporting cutting/drilling I had to do originally with rear track bar bracket mounts and etc; when I did it nobody acknowledged that the ORP was anything but springs & so I had to go through and sort that part out. Seems like I had to drill the mount because of a mounting issue with the ORP, and adjustable rear track bar to get the back end in line again.
Rides like a slammed truck. Wife and kids won’t complain on long road trips as long as I have enough air in the back suspension, otherwise it rides like a truck that has 0 rear suspension. This picture is at a comfortable ride height, I’ll see if I have one with the rear as low as I can get it without further modification (it’s about 1-1.5” lower than the pic in back)
CD8F3E35-F0B6-4B69-BA92-F1AA2D815E35.jpeg

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thats originally an ORP truck.
maxtrac struts up front, with a cut ORP coil (the ORP coils make the truck sit ~1” higher than “stock”). I’d have to go out in the cold to measure exact ride height on front end now; I can’t remember right off.

Out back are Timbergrove CRM 6Low bags. The rear will bottom out on the 4link tab between axle and frame, I’d have to add IHC’s cut kit to get the rear any lower.
Plus whatever supporting cutting/drilling I had to do originally with rear track bar bracket mounts and etc; when I did it nobody acknowledged that the ORP was anything but springs & so I had to go through and sort that part out. Seems like I had to drill the mount because of a mounting issue with the ORP, and adjustable rear track bar to get the back end in line again.
Rides like a slammed truck. Wife and kids won’t complain on long road trips as long as I have enough air in the back suspension, otherwise it rides like a truck that has 0 rear suspension. This picture is at a comfortable ride height, I’ll see if I have one with the rear as low as I can get it without further modification (it’s about 1-1.5” lower than the pic in back)
View attachment 119134

Swaze, I’ve been considering the 4” drop CRM’s from Timber Grove in the rear and IHC parts up front to make a 2/4 drop. Do you like the performance of your CRM’s? Do they ride well when aired up a little? Do they work well when towing? I’ve read that a lot of people are impressed with the ride of the IHC and Max Trac kits, but I want the ability to add air to CRM’s when towing.

Last edited:

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’ll be installing my maxtrac and airbag kit here in a couple weeks. I’ll do a write up and vid while installing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can. That’s what the airbags are for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which airbags will you be using? I was thinking about doing the Timber Grove 4” CRM’s and a 2” front drop kit. Or, the 6” CRM’s, and keep them aired up to maintain 5” drop in the rear and use IHC’s front 3” drop parts. Maybe Timber Grove can build some 5” CRM’s. I just can’t find anyone who has done this and can provide feedback. That’s a lot of money to experiment with. I like the look of the 3/5 drop better than a 2/4, but I have to keep the truck useable as a truck.

My concerns:

1. The 4” will sit too high with a little air in them (comfort ride), therefore the truck will not be level.

2. The 6” aired up to raise the truck to 5” might cause too firm of a ride due to the amount of air required. I don’t even know if this is possible.

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Ok, gotcha. Those are helper springs (bags) that go inside the spring. I have 2” drop springs and the Air Lift 60828HD helper springs (bags) on my truck now. They are ok, but I want to do coil replacement air bags so I can adjust ride height while towing. The helper springs do not adjust ride height, they just effectively stiffen the spring to keep it from compressing as much.

Timber Grove Coil Replacement Air Springs
688D304A-A1D4-4516-8BB0-2CBE0F1E102E.png

Last edited:

Clv22p

Reaction score
Anyone that’s running a 2/4 or 3/5 have issue with aftermarket cat back interference? I have a Borla on mine and clearance already looks tight with rear leveling springs.

Last edited:

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone that’s running a 2/4 or 3/5 have issue with aftermarket cat back interference? I have a Borla on mine and clearance already looks tight with rear leveling springs.
From what I’ve heard at least with the maxtrac 2/4, there are clearance issues with aftermarket tail pipes.

U

User_67930

If you use a B2 Fab exhaust you would be fine as it uses the stock axle crossover pipes, thats where aftermarket exhausts hit as that space gets pretty small.

dropped5thgen

Reaction score
I’m on a 3/5 IHC drop with borla atak cat back. Clearance is very tight lol. I have about a 1/2” clearance from the tail pipes to my spohn panhand bar. With my helper bags in the coils I’ve never had issues hitting my tail pipes.

BadTrooper_345

Reaction score
ok max trac only comes with a few parts? the ihc kit comes with what seems to be a more solid kit? might be selling my max trac kit and getting the ihc kit? to be honest the ihc seems more solid.

dropped5thgen

Reaction score
ok max trac only comes with a few parts? the ihc kit comes with what seems to be a more solid kit? might be selling my max trac kit and getting the ihc kit? to be honest the ihc seems more solid.
IHC and Maxtrac both make great kits. The only problem with IHC is the shocks. So I suggest upgrading them and getting the helper bags for the coils. I tow and put my atv in the bed so the air bags help a lot and keep the truck sitting level!

Users who are viewing this thread