5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

beetlespin

Reaction score
The box my bedcover came in says it can increase my MPG up to 10% LOL

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Makes sense. So lowering the truck height will help. Good note. Wonder if it's a big job to lower the truck.
I press the button on the dash.
Mine pretty much stays in aero mode.

jkm312

Reaction score
MDS is the system that shuts down 4 of the 8 cylinders in your engine once you reach cruising speed, if the truck senses all 8 cylinders are not needed to maintain your cruising speed. Lots of debate about the value of the system. Some like it, some do not.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The box my bedcover came in says it can increase my MPG up to 10% LOL
IDK, when I installed my tonneau my average mpg actually went down 1mpg. I think the added weight offset any aerodynamic gain that I might have

Reverse

Reaction score
speaking as a current owner of a 2014 Big Horn and a 2020 Limited, the best thing for fuel mileage improvement IMO would be to go to smaller rims and tires. Getting that mass rolling really seems to hurt my mileage in the Limited (22"). All of the other Ram-installed fuel improvement measures that my Limited has and my Big Horn doesn't don't seem to do anything (ETorque, start/stop, front powered air dam, grille shutters, etc.). If it was just about fuel mileage, I'd sell the Limited, since on average the Big Horn gets about 1.5mpg more.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
IDK, when I installed my tonneau my average mpg actually went down 1mpg. I think the added weight offset any aerodynamic gain that I might have
Modern trucks are designed in the wind tunnel. Any aero advantage tonneau covers offered on older trucks is negligible on new trucks. The low pressure area created in the bed acts as a "cover" for aero and a tonneau cover could actually disturb that flow enough to have negative effects

HemiDude

Reaction score
Modern trucks are designed in the wind tunnel. Any aero advantage tonneau covers offered on older trucks is negligible on new trucks. The low pressure area created in the bed acts as a "cover" for aero and a tonneau cover could actually disturb that flow enough to have negative effects
Agree. I might not have believed it if I hadn't experienced it personally. As much talking under my breath as I do about some of these Ram engineers, at times it seems like they know what they're doing 😀

Scram1500

Reaction score
Inflate your tires to the max psi listed on the sidewall. There will be side effects like poor traction, crappy ride, and uneven tread wear. The money you save on gas can be put towards new tires. Speaking of which, the price of tires is bonkers now

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I reduced my gas consumption by 100% when I bought my 2020 Rebel Diesel. I don’t miss the thirsty Hemi, I much prefer easily getting 30 mpg with my diesel than trying to baby the Hemi to try to get 20 mpg.

Last edited:

Clv22p

Reaction score
Here is a pretty good video that shows exactly what you are talking about.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree that there are no aftermarket items that will net you a noticeable improvement. Throw in the cost of those items and there's no way you come out ahead if fuel economy is your sole priority.

Short of selling your truck here is what I would recommend if you are dead-set on doing something:

- OEM-sized hard compound, high mileage, highway tires at max PSI
- Drive conservatively (max 70 MPH on the freeway)
- Accelerate briskly to speed. Give it some gas when getting up to speed (~3000 RPM) instead of slowly getting to cruising speed
- Anticipatory driving (don't tailgate, anticipate lights)
- Don't be afraid of your engineered fuel saving measures (eTorque/start-stop, MDS)

I always have my economy numbers on my dash. I turned them off and didn't watch them for a couple of tanks and just enjoyed my V-8. My overall MPG only went down .5 MPG (hand calculated).

Also, I recently got a new set of tires. With the new softer rubber and slight change in diameter (due to the full tread) I went down about 1 MPG. I do a lot of highway driving and now my truck only occasionally will go into MDS mode (and only for a short time) compared to a lot when I had my old, hard, bald tires.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Those saying to over inflate the tires, who also say not to spend money on aftermarket parts because the return in cost takes too long, obviously don't factor in the cost of replacing tires early due to uneven tread wear from running them over inflated.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I reduced my gas consumption by 100% when I bought my 2020 Rebel Diesel. I don’t miss the thirsty Hemi, I much prefer easily getting 30 mpg with my diesel than trying to baby the Hemi to try to get 20 mpg.
20220306_152352.jpg

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
What’s that screen look like now? Thought it was just a 3.92 joke as an anomaly, but you keep posting it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What’s that screen look like now? Thought it was just a 3.92 joke as an anomaly, but you keep posting it.

Still looks like that. I only drive my truck once a month. We'll see what April looks like.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Cant wait to see it.

I've been feeling spicy lately, so I might get a little heavy on the right foot and hit 35mph next month.

Users who are viewing this thread