5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Those saying to over inflate the tires, who also say not to spend money on aftermarket parts because the return in cost takes too long, obviously don't factor in the cost of replacing tires early due to uneven tread wear from running them over inflated.
I ran my tires within 2 PSI of max cold pressure (rated 50 psi cold - I kept them between 48-50 psi cold) and they lasted 55K miles. The sides were pretty much bald but still had tread in the middle (3-4/32").

I could have gone another 5k+ miles but they were getting squirrely in the wet with no way to exhaust water out the sides of the tread.

IMG-3943.jpg IMG-3942.jpg

ram813ltd

Reaction score
nothing out there is going to improve MPG worth the time and money. usually people buying large trucks have no concern about mileage knowing its poor before you sign. if you can't afford gas you don't need the truck
gas isn't going to stay at $4+.
if you're going by the computer current MPG don't believe what you see.
if you go by the tpms computer don't believe that either. it's not accurate

ram813ltd

Reaction score
funny aero mode is only 1/2 inch lower in front. i let it do what it wants

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I ran my tires within 2 PSI of max cold pressure (rated 50 psi cold - I kept them between 48-50 psi cold) and they lasted 55K miles. The sides were pretty much bald but still had tread in the middle (3-4/32").

I could have gone another 5k+ miles but they were getting squirrely in the wet with no way to exhaust water out the sides of the tread.

View attachment 123351 View attachment 123350
I'd say if you were running them at max psi on sidewall and they still wore out the edges first then they weren't the right load rating for your truck.

Bluebaloo

Reaction score
nothing out there is going to improve MPG worth the time and money. usually people buying large trucks have no concern about mileage knowing its poor before you sign. if you can't afford gas you don't need the truck
gas isn't going to stay at $4+.
if you're going by the computer current MPG don't believe what you see.
if you go by the tpms computer don't believe that either. it's not accurate
its not that its not affordable but if you're planning to keep the truck for 8+ yrs why not save me $ on the way. Planning on enjoying my new truck, not going to daisy drive it.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You can buy a evc throttle controller. With a push of a button it goes into eco mode, mainly just slows your throttle wayyy down. Same thing you can do with your foot. But it’s more consistent

And then if you want to play push it again and it goes to performance. They are around $170

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigD

Reaction score
I have noticed a positive change when doing this. I drive the rural two lane roads to work, dropped my speed from 60 to 55, and there was an improvement, not that I'm complaining about the mpg though.
Please don't be one of those people who go the exact speed limit on a 2 lane road while a dozen cars are following behind them waiting for any chance to pass. Those people suck ! Buy a damn Prius if your that worried about gas mileage for crying out load. It's a 5,500 lb truck what the heck did u expect? I average about 18.5 with mine & I'm very happy with that. Better than the 15 I got with my 2013 Ram or the 11 I got with my 2009 Chevy 2500.

BigD

Reaction score
I reduced my gas consumption by 100% when I bought my 2020 Rebel Diesel. I don’t miss the thirsty Hemi, I much prefer easily getting 30 mpg with my diesel than trying to baby the Hemi to try to get 20 mpg.
I bet those $250 oil changes are fun too. And paying $5/gallon for diesel vs. $4/gallon for unleaded!

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Please don't be one of those people who go the exact speed limit on a 2 lane road while a dozen cars are following behind them waiting for any chance to pass. Those people suck ! Buy a damn Prius if your that worried about gas mileage for crying out load. It's a 5,500 lb truck what the heck did u expect? I average about 18.5 with mine & I'm very happy with that. Better than the 15 I got with my 2013 Ram or the 11 I got with my 2009 Chevy 2500.
I like to roll right around 54 mph. Go to a race track if you want to go 55.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I suppose you are one of those people honking your horn and riding their *** for doing the speed limit. Why you gotta be in such a hurry? Granted I set my cruise 5 over, but if I come up on someone doing the speed limit, I just slow down until an opportunity arises to pass. No need to get upset over it

Bigbags85

Reaction score
I always find it funny at the people that going flying by someone doing the speed limit on a 2 lane road just see that speed limit person catch them at the next light 2 miles up the road lol.

jmt8706

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't know why you're going off on me, I was just posting an observation. I didn't buy this truck for fuel economy, so cool your jets.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I always find it funny at the people that going flying by someone doing the speed limit on a 2 lane road just see that speed limit person catch them at the next light 2 miles up the road lol.
Had a guy in a F250 swerving through traffic on my way home from work, cutting cars off, barely fitting through gaps to get around them. 1 mile down the road I had caught back up to him and passed him in other lane. I was doing the 45 mph speed limit because I was in my work van with company name plastered all over it.

Last edited:

BigD

Reaction score
I suppose you are one of those people honking your horn and riding their *** for doing the speed limit. Why you gotta be in such a hurry? Granted I set my cruise 5 over, but if I come up on someone doing the speed limit, I just slow down until an opportunity arises to pass. No need to get upset over it
I go 7 mph over. That's what my State Farm beacon will allow without a negative mark. People usually fly by me like I'm standing still at least 15 to 20 mph over the speed limit !! If u drive 55 mph on a 55 mph road here in Minnesota around the cities, u are likely to get ran off the road !! It's more dangerous to impede traffic doing that than it would be to go with the flow 5 or 10 over !!

BigD

Reaction score
I don't know why you're going off on me, I was just posting an observation. I didn't buy this truck for fuel economy, so cool your jets.
No one is going off on anyone just an observation. I can never understand why people buy a truck & then ***** about the gas mileage?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I go 7 mph over. That's what my State Farm beacon will allow without a negative mark. People usually fly by me like I'm standing still at least 15 to 20 mph over the speed limit !! If u drive 55 mph on a 55 mph road here in Minnesota around the cities, u are likely to get ran off the road !! It's more dangerous to impede traffic doing that than it would be to go with the flow 5 or 10 over !!
I guess if traffic is behind you, you are setting the "flow"

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
sheep.gif

BigD

Reaction score
I guess if traffic is behind you, you are setting the "flow"
Exactly, & if u see a line of 10 cars behind u at least do the descent thing & pull over & let them all pass. I've done that before. I hate it when people ride my ***. I like to have a few car lengths between me & the car in front of me just in case. I love the people who are completely oblivious driving in the fast lane completely impeding traffic & have no clue. When u finally pass them on the right they are either looking down at their phone, really old, or Somalian. Happen twice on my way home today. Traffic was backed up for miles on I694 because of one idiot going like 53 mph in a 60 mph zone. Smh like I said that's more dangerous than going 10 over. Even a cop will tell u that. Guess who the cop will pull over ? The dipshit going 7 under not paying attention! Stay with the flow & the cops will never bother u. They are looking for the guy blasting by everyone 15 or 20 over. Bobbing & weaving will get u pulled over too.

Users who are viewing this thread