5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

License Plate Reverse light

Trader

Reaction score
Any help from anyone who has done this install?

I connected all the wiring today (even soldered and added a heat shrink with some help) but haven't been able to install behind the bumper because it was pouring rain all day.
. Squeeze the 2 tabs at the top above the round plug and it should pop out the back, towards the rear of the truck, then it will be really easy from there on how to disconnect and proceed.

SB89

Reaction score
. Squeeze the 2 tabs at the top above the round plug and it should pop out the back, towards the rear of the truck, then it will be really easy from there on how to disconnect and proceed.
Sweet Jesus, I'm an idiot. I was trying pull it back out behind the bumper, towards the spare tire under the truck. Ha! Thanks for the tip.

wwalljr

Reaction score
Put this on today. Had the pos/neg flipped...had a WTF moment...then came to my senses. Looks good. Seems like it will work good. Certainly bright. I park in a poorly lit structure at work, so that will be the real test. Great write up everyone.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Truck will be at dealer in 10 days. Looking to order this now. I see there can be a coupon code. Does anyone have a coupon code?

wwalljr

Reaction score
Used in parking ramp today...first time. I back into my space against a concrete wall. Huge difference. Money well spent.

Griff

Reaction score
Put this on today. Had the pos/neg flipped...had a WTF moment...then came to my senses. Looks good. Seems like it will work good. Certainly bright. I park in a poorly lit structure at work, so that will be the real test. Great write up everyone.

I did the same thing at first. For those about to do the install, the striped wire from the VLED (hard to see but it's there) goes to the blue wire on the pigtail connector.

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i took my off the 07 avalanche before trade in.im going to an installer wed 3/19.if i can get under the truck:LOL: i will show some pics and vids ! oh and of course the weather!

macallien

Reaction score
Sweet Jesus, I'm an idiot. I was trying pull it back out behind the bumper, towards the spare tire under the truck. Ha! Thanks for the tip.

So these TWO TABS are in the rear side of the bumper down under? Or are they from the front side of the bumper looking at them?

SB89

Reaction score
So these TWO TABS are in the rear side of the bumper down under? Or are they from the front side of the bumper looking at them?
It’s from behind the bumper, underneath the truck, near the spare tire. It’s kind of a PITA.

macallien

Reaction score
I found it! Thanks! For reference, the tabs are behind the bumper right behind the plug assembly. Shiny Stainless tabs. the Assembley then falls out thru the front of the bumper, outwards.

SB89

Reaction score
Just FINALLY got my install done. It’s amazing how easy this was (especially removing the trailer harness) when it wasn’t 20 degrees outside.

This thing is BRIGHT. I used it on top of a thin, black silicone license plate cover too so it actually points it down some, which is great.

I will say, lotta extra wiring under there. It’s tough to fit everything in behind the bumper without mangling it all together. I might replace all the harnesses with shorter ones. Hopefully all these connections are weather sealed enough too.

Anyone else have any pictures of the finished product behind the bumper and how it’s all zip tied down?

Attachments

• 38913AD5-08E8-44DA-B2A2-2AAA49CDA2AB.jpeg
    38913AD5-08E8-44DA-B2A2-2AAA49CDA2AB.jpeg
    48.6 KB · Views: 396
  • 31E5CB02-5719-4DAD-9CD8-87DAF6217D57.jpeg
    31E5CB02-5719-4DAD-9CD8-87DAF6217D57.jpeg
    95.7 KB · Views: 422
  • 1F7CFE7F-FAED-4CFC-B1FF-815B95C2DA8A.jpeg
    1F7CFE7F-FAED-4CFC-B1FF-815B95C2DA8A.jpeg
    155.9 KB · Views: 424

macallien

Reaction score
sdagdfsgdsfgertghrth
Just FINALLY got my install done. It’s amazing how easy this was (especially removing the trailer harness) when it wasn’t 20 degrees outside.

This thing is BRIGHT. I used it on top of a thin, black silicone license plate cover too so it actually points it down some, which is great.

I will say, lotta extra wiring under there. It’s tough to fit everything in behind the bumper without mangling it all together. I might replace all the harnesses with shorter ones. Hopefully all these connections are weather sealed enough too.

Anyone else have any pictures of the finished product behind the bumper and how it’s all zip tied down?
Best I could do!

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did the same thing at first. For those about to do the install, the striped wire from the VLED (hard to see but it's there) goes to the blue wire on the pigtail connector.
Are you sure about that? I thought I did that, but no lights. I will need to crawl under again and check the clips. I hate those, I will just use wire nuts. Thanks for the info though. Most likely a back connection with the clips on my end.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Are you sure about that? I thought I did that, but no lights. I will need to crawl under again and check the clips. I hate those, I will just use wire nuts. Thanks for the info though. Most likely a back connection with the clips on my end.
I had the clips. I used solder splices..work great...i did then all before I climbed underneath.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So I am going to try and rig my own. I recently installed a 20” light bar under my hitch but wired it to a switch because it’s waaay to bright to have come on every time I go into reverse. Most of the time I just need some addl light but then when when I’m really off the beaten path, I can turn on the light bar. I didn’t really want to drop close to 100 bones on the vleds because of the above and the fact that it’s a 12” led strip. I know they have a Cnc housing and more led chips than most other strips but still.

Anyway, I just ordered the following from Amazon. There are 20 12” Led strips (yeah 20!) for $13. You can find ones that are cheaper but this one gets decent reviews and is waterproof also. I already have a cheap license plate frame so I will try putting one strip at the top of the frame and one strip at the bottom of the frame . Tie them together and wire them to the reverse wire of the trailer harness. I will have 18 strips left over for future projects! I’ll post back when it’s all done with pics and thoughts.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I had trouble splicing into those trailer harness wires as well with clips (for my bed leds constant power), hard to get a good bite. I’m sure you guys know this and I’m guessing it says it earlier in this thread but it’s a million times easier to push that trailer harness “thru the bumper” vs crawling underneath and making the connections laying on your back. There are two silver clips, one on each side of the trailer harness, if you push/pinch them inward and then push the harness toward the bumper, you’ll see the clip come loose. Then you can work on the wires up at the bumper. When you’re done, put the harness back thru and just climb underneath to zip everything neat.

Users who are viewing this thread