5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

License Plate Reverse light

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just installed the exact p/ns listed in the thread. Super simple. Super easy. Super clean. And 100% removable without a trace.

I ordered the light and the curt connector. Supposed to come on Friday already. Super excited.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Plug and play with the t connection then you can either splice into the blue (positive reverse) and white (ground) wire on the 5 pin or you can buy the male end of the 5 pin and attach to that , that is what I did.

I want to make sure I'm clear here. I have the light and curt connection coming. If I don't want to splice, are you saying I need to purchase an additional "male end of the 5 pin"? Any links to that? Lol, I'm clueless and just followed the links you listed to begin with and bought those.

geotex1

Reaction score
I want to make sure I'm clear here. I have the light and curt connection coming. If I don't want to splice, are you saying I need to purchase an additional "male end of the 5 pin"? Any links to that? Lol, I'm clueless and just followed the links you listed to begin with and bought those.

You need the trailer side connector for the flat. Can buy an 18" lead for this from eTrailer, and local trailer shops will have these in stock or similar too. I just bought a 12" this past weekend to fix my nephew's trailer for $3.99.

geotex1

Reaction score
I'll add that I too purchased the VLEDS unit with the current holiday discount late last night after deciding a cheaper tailgate bar was just not me.

I'll buy the Curt adapter locally as they're only $26 on the rack. I too want the option to remove without a trace instead of splicing.

Great find by the OP whom I thank for sharing because I need the reverse camera working like it did in my 2014 with my narrow, winding, tree, shrub, and boulder lined driveway!

dad2steph

Reaction score
I used the male portion of this that i picked up at my local Advance Auto parts. Connect the solid black wire from the light to the white wire on the 5 pin male, connect the white and black wire from the light to the blue wire on the 5 pin male. Plug the male 5 pin into the female 5 pin on the Curt adapter. Connect the curt adapter inline with the 7 pin behind the bumper of your truck. the pics in my original post show the connections of the male and female 5 pins.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...utm_campaign=confirmation&utm_content=general

cjmst23

Reaction score

markymark907

Reaction score
I tried the blazer plug in light.... I'd give it a 4/10 and the license plate holder led an 8/10 for brightness.....and it looks much better.
I'm going to buy the license plate holder I do like the design better, the blazer plug was the only thing I can find until I seen this thread

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
OK, 1 last question..... You knew I'd have another once I actually received the parts. Any tips on removing the factory 7-pin harness from behind the bumper without breaking the clips?

I'm having a hard time at this step as well. I need to remove the whole black part, right? The grey part unclips but that just shows me wires... I want to make sure I'm attempting to remove the right thing, lol. I have everything else connected I believe.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Last edited:

dad2steph

Reaction score
I'm having a hard time at this step as well. I need to remove the whole black part, right? The grey part unclips but that just shows me wires... I want to make sure I'm attempting to remove the right thing, lol. I have everything else connected I believe.

Yes the whole black piece needs to be removed.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes the whole black piece needs to be removed.

Got it! It was a little stuck on due to some sand/dirt in it apparently. All set now. Super bright. Lot of exhaust in picture, sorry.

Attachments

• 20181222_190331.jpg
    20181222_190331.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 694
  • 20181222_190015.jpg
    20181222_190015.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 688

zman9119

Reaction score
RECON Lighting makes a license plate frame that has reverse lights built into it. Not sure how the lm compare between the vled and theirs but it is an offering I found.

geotex1

Reaction score
dad2steph,

Hats off to you, sir! I did my install today in 2 hours being uber Type A with my harness work with soldering, heat shrink, taping, looming, and such. End result is superb! My reverse cam now works as well as my old 4th Gen Sport did in the pitch black of country nights! One of my favorite mods to date for this truck! I'm actually ordering another one for my 3500 dually to use as a hitching lamp and yet another to put on the back of my 5th wheel to help me see what's behind it when dropping it at night.

Kudos!

dad2steph

Reaction score
dad2steph,

Hats off to you, sir! I did my install today in 2 hours being uber Type A with my harness work with soldering, heat shrink, taping, looming, and such. End result is superb! My reverse cam now works as well as my old 4th Gen Sport did in the pitch black of country nights! One of my favorite mods to date for this truck! I'm actually ordering another one for my 3500 dually to use as a hitching lamp and yet another to put on the back of my 5th wheel to help me see what's behind it when dropping it at night.

Kudos!

Thank you , glad it worked out for you. I ordered another one myself for my wifes Jeep. These lights are superb.

Denny Crane

Reaction score
Does the VLEDS unit also help when using the mirrors to backup? That is, does it do better than the backup lights, which don’t seem to illuminate much off the sides?

Thanks for the point-out.

dad2steph

Reaction score
Does the VLEDS unit also help when using the mirrors to backup? That is, does it do better than the backup lights, which don’t seem to illuminate much off the sides?

Thanks for the point-out.

Yes it does. It illuminates the entire rear of the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread