5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LED tail lights cracking

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
only had condesation buildup in mines, both replaced by dealer no cost free Ram rebel for loaner for 4 days (armory garage albany)

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Unfortunately, joining the club, did my pre-drive walk around, found the passanger side taillight cracked :(
I need to visit the service anyway, because of the terrible door alignments (my mom’s $10k Suzuki overseas, came with perfect gaps and alignment) hope they will cover this under warranty. The crack is clearly at the inner side.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I apologize for the frustration, @ChPeter. I would be more than willing to escalate a case on your behalf for further support as you work with your dealer for these concerns!

Our team is always a private message away.

Mark
RamCares

Wsmith

Reaction score
I hope mine crack, it will give me that last kick in the a** to buy the LED housings. Then I hope they don't crack.

TRAVIS42

Reaction score
Just got this done today. I didn't realize tail light delamination was a thing. Kept thinking either something hit me, or I hit something. Wasn't until I saw the post online about it being under warranty. I'm glad I saw it cause I thought I may of had to eat it.
PXL_20201020_220402152.jpg PXL_20201020_220355596.jpg PXL_20201020_134634946.jpg PXL_20201020_134644941.jpg

Brisoup1

Reaction score
A few weeks ago, I noticed a crack in my passenger side LED tailight. The surface of the lens is smooth which would suggest the crack was not caused by a rock or other object. Since this tailight cost $550, I'm going to bring this up when I drop it off at the dealer for a water leak I have on the passenger side rear roof and window. Has anyone else had a problem with cracked tailights? Did the dealer replace it or did they try to say it was caused by a impact and refused to replace it?

Attachments

• Tailight.jpg
    Tailight.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 122

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
A few weeks ago, I noticed a crack in my passenger side LED tailight. The surface of the lens is smooth which would suggest the crack was not caused by a rock or other object. Since this tailight cost $550, I'm going to bring this up when I drop it off at the dealer for a water leak I have on the passenger side rear roof and window. Has anyone else had a problem with cracked tailights? Did the dealer replace it or did they try to say it was caused by a impact and refused to replace it?
The cracks in your tail light are different than the others in this thread, and looks more like something hit it than a manufacturer's defect. Just because the surface is smooth doesn't mean something didn't hit it. Only something with an edge or sharp corner will leave a mark. You can get a crack when the flat surface of something like a door or tailgate (especially with a plastic cover) makes impact, but you won't always see visible surface damage. Even something thrown, like a baseball, could make that kind of damage without leaving any surface marks. Or someone swinging their pack around. You'll probably only have surface damage if whatever hits the lens is sharp. It won't hurt to take it in and try, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
The cracks in your tail light are different than the others in this thread, and looks more like something hit it than a manufacturer's defect. Just because the surface is smooth doesn't mean something didn't hit it. Only something with an edge or sharp corner will leave a mark. You can get a crack when the flat surface of something like a door or tailgate (especially with a plastic cover) makes impact, but you won't always see visible surface damage. Even something thrown, like a baseball, could make that kind of damage without leaving any surface marks. Or someone swinging their pack around. You'll probably only have surface damage if whatever hits the lens is sharp. It won't hurt to take it in and try, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.
Agreed, the shape of the crack looks like it's something other than a manufacturers defect as others have experienced.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I just heard from the dealer and they said the tailight will be replaced under warranty and it should be replaced by Friday.
That's awesome! (y) You're fortunate to have a dealership which treats you right. I'm not so sure my dealership would be inclined to warranty that without some serious persuasion.

Brisoup1

Reaction score
That's awesome! (y) You're fortunate to have a dealership which treats you right. I'm not so sure my dealership would be inclined to warranty that without some serious persuasion.
From what I understand, FCA must clear all warranty work prior to starting it or there's a chance the dealer won't be reimbursed. I'm sure there's more to it though.

Shaneo456

Reaction score
Hi @Adam4812 - Please be sure to follow up with us via private message if you decide to address this with your dealer. We are more than happy to escalate a case on your behalf for further support through that process if needed.

Mark
RamCares
Same here. Took it to the dealership and they denied the claim. Not sure why, Still under warranty, no physical damage. Just told me it was denied…very frustrating….@RamCares, can you lend any assistance?

Attachments

• B7160649-0598-4325-8356-F0E94327CF91.jpeg
    B7160649-0598-4325-8356-F0E94327CF91.jpeg
    89.8 KB · Views: 117
  • 1D7F51F3-C4D0-4058-BD4D-7D0CC9CD6F46.jpeg
    1D7F51F3-C4D0-4058-BD4D-7D0CC9CD6F46.jpeg
    126.1 KB · Views: 115
  • 3AB77D3B-F71D-467B-A6AF-9A9577128773.jpeg
    3AB77D3B-F71D-467B-A6AF-9A9577128773.jpeg
    154.4 KB · Views: 110
  • 8CA42AD5-9518-44A5-A97F-B9C165CB63DB.jpeg
    8CA42AD5-9518-44A5-A97F-B9C165CB63DB.jpeg
    146.7 KB · Views: 106

photinus

Reaction score
@RamCares - can I get a DM as well for assistance with a cracked tail light? Dealer is denying my repair because they can catch a pen on the cracks :-(

Terminal

Reaction score
Any hope that FCA will repair this in a 2019 Ram that is out of warranty ? Mileage just hit 52000. Noticed that both of mine have these cracks and water is getting in. Blinkers are and off working.

Calibama

Reaction score
Any hope that FCA will repair this in a 2019 Ram that is out of warranty ? Mileage just hit 52000. Noticed that both of mine have these cracks and water is getting in. Blinkers are and off working.

My 2020 Limited is in the shop right now for a related issue. Condensation in the light housing caused some type of short on a pin in the wiring harness. UConnect went down while driving, loss of function to all related controls were noted. Now I’m waiting on Ram Cares for a reply because dealership didn’t want to honor my case as a quality related issue stemming from the tail lights. Good luck, I’ll update when I hear back.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I do not believe that a warranty repair is in your future.

Terminal

Reaction score
It was not. I popped them out and used some clear epoxy. Better than $500 bucks.

Sandhu

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just curious if anybody is having/had this issue with their tail lights? Please see pictures were I have marked the hairline cracks.

Thanks in advance!
I had this same issue with my 2019 ram rebel. The taillights started to crack and made water come through the the lights. Then it made the light very dim and my blind spot monitoring system stopped working. I went to the dealership many times and they kept denying my claim and said I backed into something to make them crack like that and blamed the tint that I had put on the light. I tried another dealership and they still denied me. Then I’m not sure how this happened but when I started the truck my screen wouldn’t turn on. So I went back to the dealership to show them that my screen wasn’t working. I told them to unplug the taillights and see if the screen turned on and it did. So they finally agreed to process the claim for some new tail lights. At this time I was tired of bringing the truck to them again and again so I left it at the dealership and told the manger to install the lights when they come in. It took 7 weeks for the tail lights to come in and for them to install them. After all that waiting I finally got the truck back and everything was working fine. I’ve seen many other rams and even Durangos with this same problem in my area. I want people to know about this problem and that the dealership has to replace them even if they keep denying you.

Attachments

• DE07C895-D15C-4294-9DEB-5296F28EBB9F.jpeg
    DE07C895-D15C-4294-9DEB-5296F28EBB9F.jpeg
    91.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 1E1D0E9A-FF7A-4C52-A2C5-BDF9118FE608.jpeg
    1E1D0E9A-FF7A-4C52-A2C5-BDF9118FE608.jpeg
    190.5 KB · Views: 32

BlckDT

Reaction score
Over the past week my 2019 (79,000 miles) has been having wacky electrical issues. It starts from a message on the dash stating “Cross Path Detection Failed - Service Required”. At the same time the radio would turn off, front defrost would turn on full blast. No controls work on or below radio, front 2 windows won’t work (driver or passenger buttons).

After taking it in to the dealership, and them having it overnight, they have determined the issue is with the rear driver taillight. Apparently I have a crack in the tail light and it caused water to get into the housing. I did notice some condensation in the housing just the other day. Wiring got wet and corroded. This is causing all issues.

BUT, after they reviewed the issue, my Ram service guy said it’s not covered under standard warranty nor is it covered with my purchased 5yr/125K Mopar Vehicle Protection Plan. This is because the taillight had a crack and those aren’t covered. I never saw a crack on the lens, so now I believe it’s what is being shown in this thread. The new taillight + labor is estimated at $1400.

Anyone have tips on how to pursue a claim on this?

[mention]RamCares [/mention] Is there anything I can do to escalate this to try and get it covered?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Over the past week my 2019 (79,000 miles) has been having wacky electrical issues. It starts from a message on the dash stating “Cross Path Detection Failed - Service Required”. At the same time the radio would turn off, front defrost would turn on full blast. No controls work on or below radio, front 2 windows won’t work (driver or passenger buttons).

After taking it in to the dealership, and them having it overnight, they have determined the issue is with the rear driver taillight. Apparently I have a crack in the tail light and it caused water to get into the housing. I did notice some condensation in the housing just the other day. Wiring got wet and corroded. This is causing all issues.

BUT, after they reviewed the issue, my Ram service guy said it’s not covered under standard warranty nor is it covered with my purchased 5yr/125K Mopar Vehicle Protection Plan. This is because the taillight had a crack and those aren’t covered. I never saw a crack on the lens, so now I believe it’s what is being shown in this thread. The new taillight + labor is estimated at $1400.

Anyone have tips on how to pursue a claim on this?

[mention]RamCares [/mention] Is there anything I can do to escalate this to try and get it covered?

Create a case with RAM. The tail light cracking issue is well documented and I would force the issue to get it replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread